Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Garage Parking Guidance System - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Garage Parking Guidance System

• Gold FFM

Years ago when I was always driving my Esprit I certainly had the knack of placing it in my cramped garage just right. In the 5 years of very very infrequent use it seems I've lost the knack, or just overly cautious now. It also seems I'm a little bit fatter so squeezing out of the car once placed wrongly is more difficult, every mm counts! :ice:

So I've been considering a system to place the car in the garage just right. My garage isn't very wide, I have to fold one of the wing mirrors to get it in past the door! I tried a laser line but it wasn't visible enough. After a bit of searching I came across some systems on ebay and now my head is buzzing with ideas! Check these out for example:

Firstly, the least hi-tech of the options:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item58952bf57b

Next is an obvious choice, using lasers. Not a big fan of this as there is no alarm and can sometimes be difficult to see.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27bf6d9f6c

Next idea is to use reverse sensors that are normally fitted to the car, but I would fit them to the walls of the garage instead. Has a little distance display that could be placed in the garage. It's cheap enough to buy 4 and have them in all four corners!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c2b51c4a0

Getting a bit more advanced now, as above but with an added camera. I'd place the camera in the garage roof looking down, and the display in the car. Either mount it as a replacement rear view mirror, place it the glove compartment and just take it out when needed, or mount it on the wall of the garage.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27cb0e0ccc

There are other things out there but I'm favouring the reverse sensors with the camera and display!

Does anyone have a system of parking their car, have ideas or thought about fitting one?

Signature not working...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a couple of wheel wedges so as I reverse back the rear touches the wedge and stops the car in the exact place. I then put another wedge in front to hold the car without pulling the hand brake on.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I use a hay bale. I also can use it for filling the rabbit cage but obviously too much of the latter reduces it's usefulness for the former.

Mother used to use tennis balls tied to string hung from the roof. Exactly right positions for the windscreen. When it touched you stopped.

• Gold FFM

I have been using a few blocks of wood for the back wheels to bump against so I know I'm back far enough. You can get things like parking mats which do the same thing. These can move and don't help with the initial lining up. I have to park the car slightly off-straight so I can get out of it.

Don't think I've enough space for a hay bale and tennis balls are a bit last century ;)

Signature not working...

This is well timed as I recently scuffed my fender flare placing my car in the garage a few weeks ago

:(

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Tennis ball for me! very accurate.

And cant be kicked or knocked out of position like most other things.

Edited by slewthy

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Tennis ball for me, works perfectly.

Piece of wood with carpet covered foam to stop the door getting scratched when getting out.

...and a 'Keep Out' sign for the kids !

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

Oh, Ian_m............ I shall go and upgrade my simple string and tennis ball to your 'string, tennis ball and line' system tonight.

I had the distance covered but not the left/right. :unworthy:

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !