Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Freescan cables - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Freescan cables

Artie

anyone/everyone,

I finally got a laptop and downloaded the newest Freescan version, but I have a problem, I just bought a brand new laptop to start using for my cars(the RX7 and the Esprit) but didn't pay attention to the fact that it only has USB ports on it and no serial port. Now, does anyone stateside sell interface cables that are premade and can plug into the USB cable port? I saw the ones on Lotus Esprit World but first off almost $300 USD seems a bit steep, secondly I'd like to get them sometime this next week or so. Anyone?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Kato says we have sourced and tested a USB -serial converter that is we underwrite and we know works with the ALDL interface and Freescan. It is a few $ more than some others out there.

However, we do offer a free log file diagnosics service to customers and the little margin we have helps us work on manual updates and tools revisons.

Dermot

As Kato says we have sourced and tested a USB -serial converter that is we underwrite and we know works with the ALDL interface and Freescan. It is a few $ more than some others out there.

However, we do offer a free log file diagnosics service to customers and the little margin we have helps us work on manual updates and tools revisons.

Dermot

Thanks Karvamore! Got it coming. Sorry guys, I got the parts from JOhn at WC engineering to make the serial port cable but it dosn't seem to be working correctly, I either screwed something up or something. I get RPM, water temp, and ambient temp readings on the dashboard but nothing else is showing up. I figured I could get a cable made by someone who is electronically adept and not mess with hoping I got the thing right. Anyway, I also wanted the cables in short order(within the week) and Andrew emailed me that he'll mail my cable and adaptor out tonight!

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

...d'oh. Your cable works, you're just not in Interactive mode. Cancel that order!

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

...d'oh. Your cable works, you're just not in Interactive mode. Cancel that order!

It's okay, I need the cable for my new laptop which only has USB ports.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

It's okay, I need the cable for my new laptop which only has USB ports.

Art

I just got into the freescan program with the car running and I switched to interact mode but still no Throttle position, 02 voltage and the sensor diagnostics were all N/A except for the water temp. What's going on?

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Did you hit "Force Data?"

I tried it with and without force data. I logged some idle time and the logs show 0's down the 02 voltage column, MAT =0, lots of 0's. I only register water temp, rpm and voltage.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

do you have the parking brake on?

Yes, does this matter?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

No.

?

:)

What's the point? You're confusing me or messing with me!

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I'm just fcuking with you man. :) I have no idea, but I doubt a new cable (I know, you need usb) will help.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I'm just fcuking with you man. :) I have no idea, but I doubt a new cable (I know, you need usb) will help.

OIC! I'm trying to figure out what is happening. I'm waiting to hear back from John at WC for his thoughts.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi Art,

Sounds odd as all the data should be soming down one single wire. So as was mentioned any one of the wires not connected properly should mean no data or display at all rather than some data and not others.

You may also want to check the comm port speed settings data bits etc to ensure they are set as Freescan expects and the ECU works on. This could result in strange data. You also dont get mesurements on all the sensors until the engine is running.

But I would take things step by step.

Start laptop

Plug in ECU cable to laptop and make sure if its the USB model that its has created a comm port.

Start Freescan - Its should auto detect the comm port you want to use. If not select the correct one

At the bottom select a log file location and file name to record your data.

Make sure Interactive mode is selected on the top right hand side.

Set the sample rate to 25ms or 50ms or 100ms. I typically use 25ms.

Click Start top left.

Turn on the ignition

Some of the dials and stats should now display values. Many will be 0 or not showing.

Start the Car.

All the dials should be displaying data and the blue screen with many stats should be populated with values.

Stop the log recording on the main screen bottom left.

If this still hasnt worked post up your log file you've recorded for us to have a look at.

Hi Art,

Sounds odd as all the data should be coming down one single wire. So as was mentioned, any one of the wires not connected properly should mean no data or display at all rather than some data. However, one word of warning, if it is the USB converter you are trying then I know that LEW tested a few before find one that worked properly.

You may want to check the comm port speed settings data bits etc to ensure they are set as Freescan expects and the ECU works on. This could result in strange data. You also dont get mesurements on all the sensors until the engine is running.

But I would take things step by step.

Start laptop

Plug in ECU cable to laptop and make sure if its the USB model that its has created a comm port once plugged into the cars connector.

Start Freescan - Its should auto detect the comm port you want to use. If not select the correct one

At the bottom select a log file location and file name to record your data.

Make sure Interactive mode is selected on the top right hand side.

Set the sample rate to 25ms or 50ms or 100ms. I typically use 25ms.

Click Start top left.

Turn on the ignition

Some of the dials and stats should now display values. Many will be 0 or not showing.

Start the Car.

All the dials should be displaying data and the blue screen with many stats should be populated with values.

Stop the log recording on the main screen bottom left.

If this still hasnt worked post up your log file you've recorded for us to have a look at.

Hi Art, etc

Carl,

Great, thanks for the tips. I have logged with the car idling and snapped the throttle cable open to about 50% and still no value for tps or anything. I will try some other things as you mentioned too. The car is running quite well so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Carl,

Great, thanks for the tips. I have logged with the car idling and snapped the throttle cable open to about 50% and still no value for tps or anything. I will try some other things as you mentioned too. The car is running quite well so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Artie

DO NOT check the TPS with the engine running. You can leave the engine off, and connect to the ECU with the car in the "on" position. No need to run the car for Freescan. Revving the engine with no load is not good.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

DO NOT check the TPS with the engine running. You can leave the engine off, and connect to the ECU with the car in the "on" position. No need to run the car for Freescan. Revving the engine with no load is not good.

Thanks Travis, I've tried to check the values with the engine running and off and still only get a couple of values. I'm trying to figure out what is going on. Either my Windows program isn't reading all of the data or I have lots of bad sensors as I don't get an 02 value, TPS, MAT, Spark advance. All I am getting is Water Temp, RPM, and Volts. Can't really figure out what the problem is.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hello Art

are you using a serial ALDL cable with an USB serial cable? If so use the LEW converter or use an PCMCIA Serial card (SSP-100 made by quatech) which is wat I use and all is working fine. The problem is that most USB Serial converters don't handle the 8192 baudrate of the ECU very well.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Hello Art

are you using a serial ALDL cable with an USB serial cable? If so use the LEW converter or use an PCMCIA Serial card (SSP-100 made by quatech) which is wat I use and all is working fine. The problem is that most USB Serial converters don't handle the 8192 baudrate of the ECU very well.

Freek

I'm currently using the ALDL with a serial cable only. I have not gotten my USB interface cable yet, but I'm obviously still having data download issues.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Two things Art,

1- Freescan will log the comms with the ECU as well as the values coming from the ECU. So record this info to a log file too.

2- Post up here an example of a matched ECU comms log and the ECU values. We can then compare to one we have created to see if we can spot the problem.

It will probably be thursday before i can get some logs to compare for you but this should give you time to get them posted up and other ppl to make any other suggestions.

At idle can you see the rpm on freescan changing ?

I'm currently using the ALDL with a serial cable only. I have not gotten my USB interface cable yet, but I'm obviously still having data download issues.

Art

Two things Art,

1- Freescan will log the comms with the ECU as well as the values coming from the ECU. So record this info to a log file too.

2- Post up here an example of a matched ECU comms log and the ECU values. We can then compare to one we have created to see if we can spot the problem.

It will probably be thursday before i can get some logs to compare for you but this should give you time to get them posted up and other ppl to make any other suggestions.

At idle can you see the rpm on freescan changing ?

Carl,

I recorded some logs but not sure what you are asking me to do. Remember too that my car is GMP4 ecu non SE, but I would think you'd still see values for the O2 and tps.

Yes, at idle I can see the rpm changing, on both the engine data screen(blue) and on the dash board. I am getting data to come thru but I thought I would be able to monitor other items too.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Use the button on the centre left of the first screen that says 'Log ECU Comms to Disk' and upload the file that gets created. This file should show what data is bein exchanged between Freescan and the ECU. Are you also using Freescan v2.1.0, I believe this is the latest 'last' version.

Carl,

I recorded some logs but not sure what you are asking me to do. Remember too that my car is GMP4 ecu non SE, but I would think you'd still see values for the O2 and tps.

Yes, at idle I can see the rpm changing, on both the engine data screen(blue) and on the dash board. I am getting data to come thru but I thought I would be able to monitor other items too.

Art