Why is this?

lotus4s

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't ever use the back button to browse the forum, navigate by clicking on links. If you use the back button, the database doesn't know you've visited a page so will keep it unread. If you want to navigate, use the 'breadcrumbs' at the top of the pages or just click the logo to return to the homepage.

post-1-0-18410000-1351528469.jpg

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Not quite sure I follow you. When I come to the forum I always click on the new content tab and browse the topics from there. The database doesn't seem to have a problem with knowing what pages I've read, it always takes me to the first unread post in a topic.

Once I'm done reading the topic, I just click the back button on my mouse. On just about every other forum I use and on TLF until a few months ago it would go back and I'd be on to the next topic. How do you recommend getting back to the new content page? Go back to the top of the page and click new content again?

1995 S4s

When you click back it doesn't get a new page, it just goes back to the last page your browser had so the database doesn't know you've read the post you've just read, since on that previous page you're about to view for the 2nd time, you hadn't.

The only way to view a correct 'view new content' is to get the software to produce you a new page, and that's by clicking the link again or clicking back then refresh to get a new version. Try it, you'll see the page changes once you refresh it as your most recent read topic will be removed.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not that concerned with having the new content page updated everytime I go back to it in a given session. My issue was with having to click back 3 times to get the page to reload.

So if I'm done reading a topic under "new content" what's the quickest simplest way to get back to the new content page? Scroll down to the bottom of the page, push the top of page arrow, then click new content?

1995 S4s

• Gold FFM

Correct.

Also, if you want to go to the first unread post in a topic, don't click the title of the topic. To the right of the topic is either a dot (you have not posted in this topic) or a star (you have posted in this topic). If you click on that, you will be taken to the first unread post in the topic.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yes I was aware of how to get to unread posts, just trying to not have to jump through hoops to get back to the previous page. As I mentioned previous, on most other forums my back button on the mouse works fine and is quicker and easier.... :unsure:

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

...use the 'breadcrumbs' at the top of the pages...

Perhaps I am simply too fastidious in my eating habits, Bibs, but I fail to find any breadcrumbs anywhere on my computer screen. I know you are a very busy bloke, but may I recommend that you take your meals independently of your internet activities.

Conversely, you could make use of your eponymous moniker's namesake and wear one to good effect.

Jim, my beef is not with the back button so much as the fact that once I elect to read a "New Content" thread, it disappears from the list, into the ether, requiring inordinate detective work to relocate it later on. No one said this would be easy. :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

..... but may I recommend that you take your meals independently of your internet activities. .....

I don't know. No sense of adventure, these Yanks. :sleeping:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)