Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
removing inlet manifold, polishing/cleaning alloy - Fuel System/Carbs - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

removing inlet manifold, polishing/cleaning alloy

simon a-b

Hi all,

I'm preparing to take the engine out as the next stage in my reno... and want to take inlet manifold/carbs off for better access/view of proceedings.  The whole lot is covered in nasty alloy corrosion from when I shipped it so I want to give it all a good clean. 

Problem is I can't get the manifold off... I've removed 9 nuts and washers, loosened the hose supplying the water rail below the inlets; is it just frozen on?  I've given it some fairly big whacks, including usling a large screwdriver to direct the shock to the mounting plate... have I missed something? 

If I have to take the carbs off the manifold that'd do so I could just leave it in the 'too hard' basket and ignore...

once it's off I'll replace corroded nuts etc, any advice on cleaning?  and is there any treatment I can put on clean alloy (some sort of clear coat) to keep it clean?  since I don't plan to strip the carbs I would have to be able to apply it with a brush... car is an '82 NA S3

thanks in advance,

Simon

Edited by simon a-b

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

You just need to keep worrying it. The gasket alone will be holding it very tight.

And in my experience, stringed musical instruments won't help at all.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 1 year later...

I've got a feeling in the back of my mind that there is a nut and stud, or maybe a setscrew or bolt, that one can easily overlook when removing the inlet manifold.

I know it's got late now, but I'm watching the Lotus 25 on my recording of the Monaco GP Historique....aaaahhhhh....and it was on pole, too.....such a pretty car....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Or use glass or corinth for blasting.

Looks great on alu.

A great tip is to aply a thin layer of vaseline on the new gasket sealing surface before fitment.

Then its are much easier to disassemble parts later on.

Lars