Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Better way to organise this forum? - Forum Info & Help - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Better way to organise this forum?

rydning

Hello

What do you think about making more topics

like under techical: -Engine,Gearbox,electrical,etc?

Take a look how they organice this forums:

http://lextreme.com/forums/

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/index.php

There is so many Topics/treads now in the tecnical part that I feel that this forum also should need to be better organiced.

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that only really applies if you have thousands of users and spans of posts so you need easier navigation to find things.

I find the forum here pretty easy to navigate a convenient to use.

The simplicity is part of what makes it great.

True if the activity was very high then the tech sections could

have a case for being split up more, but for now it think it works

well?

Remember our Esprits, be them S3's, SE's or V8's, share so many

parts that we have owners regularly looking in tech sections that may

not be for their 'shape' or model.

The search facility helps here, and my suspision is that if we split each

tech section into further sections (engine, final drive, electric, wheels etc)

then using the search would be quicker anyway.

:lol:

I think it's too diffuse as it is. Honestly, the number of technical posts is pretty low, I can't imagine it's hard to keep up with.

Anyway, I know I miss out on things that are posted in the V8 section that I would be interested in.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

At the Stevens Tecnical section its almost a 1000 treads and 7000 replies.

Some times you dont now that information you need before you see it and so if there was like 6 more topics under technical I belive it gona easier to get good information.

I`m a lot on other forums with much more knowledgable people than on this forum and they are organicing their forum better than this.

I feel its much easier to use.

And its gona be more and more treads on this forum in the future so why not try to organice it before you realy gona need it?

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Thanks for your comments.

The forum has been thought about in very great depth, it's not just cobbled together and various configurations have been proposed, looked at, thought about and decisions made.

There is an argument for more sections as there is an argument for just one section but currently it's working fine as it is. The reason for this is that owners of particular era's of the car check in their sections, and can offer advice on other's problems. If there are more sections, there will be less inclination to check them all therefore problems may and will be overlooked by other owners. The great strength of this forum is the combined knowledge of the owners and I'd like that to stay.

IPB also offer the most advanced search capability of any forum software which is a plus, have you tried it?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

At the Stevens Tecnical section its almost a 1000 treads and 7000 replies.

Some times you dont now that information you need before you see it and so if there was like 6 more topics under technical I belive it gona easier to get good information.

I`m a lot on other forums with much more knowledgable people than on this forum and they are organicing their forum better than this.

I feel its much easier to use.

And its gona be more and more treads on this forum in the future so why not try to organice it before you realy gona need it?

I find the search function very helpful - never had any problems finding information.

Also there are many posts that have subject headings that don't give you any idea about the content of the post so sorting them out would be a headache! Also... If you organise them into categories such as Engine/Exhaust/Interior etc. then there might be fewer posts - if I wasn't interested in exhausts then I might fail to see a post that I might be able to contribute some useful information to. The 'View New Posts' section might minimise that happening but I am sure there are people who don't use that button. Use the search function :lol:

(Sorry - was typing a response at the same time as Bibs - see above - ignore me :lol: )

Edited by Goose
banner-1.jpg

i have to say the forum is great as it is, i have looked at other esprit forums, the ones i have found are much less organised that this one (well done Bibs :lol: )

alot of the cars parts are common or similar across the range, and it if the tec sections were split into subsections, information that could prove usefull could easisly be missed. :lol:

visit regular to stop being overloaded by info and use the search button, it deffinatly the best way to go :rolleyes:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

I think that, if you split up the forum into too many sections, then more and more posts will be in the wrong places. We have a problem reporting systems at work. They are sorted into category and sub-category but, often, a problem you have that you think is one thing turns out to be due to something else, e.g. a piston failure was caused by a broken valve spring. It's easy to put the categories right on the reports at work but it would be a full-time job for the moderators of this forum. Say your engine won't start. Do you put it under engine, electrics, carbs? Or your car is pulling to the left. Brakes, suspension, steering? As we don't know what the cause we wouldn't know what sub-forum it should go in. The other alternative is to have a sub-forum for each possible topic which defeats the object.

My vote is to leave it as it is and use the search if you need to.

Edited by USAndretti42

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

IMHO The only change that would make any sense would be to alter it from G-Cars and S-Cars to Carbed and EFI.... but the quantity of work involved in splitting those two sections so the appropriate posts go to the right heading is now so immense, it has become too big a job to do...

Smaller sub sections will make the place confusing and unwieldy and newbies and those less than comfortable with computers or the internet will find it all imposing and will probably not post.

Keeping it simple is where its at I say! :lol:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

The lay out of this forum cant be that bad, as I seem to be able to navigate around it alright! :D

The other Esprit forums are laid out kinda dull and boring in comparison (like reading a phone book) :o

I remember looking at Andys other GLC forum and liking the way you could change the backgound colours i.e. JPS black and gold etc :o

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Find out what a clart is by clicking this link...

http://www.youknowsit.co.uk/lowtech/dictionary.htm

There are a few pics and mentions of me in here too...

http://www.youknowsit.co.uk/lowtech/mystic/mysty.htm

And check out my bad boy rascal here...

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=go...n+chain+gumball

:D

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

just tried the gold and black skin, too too much,

the blue and silver was nice

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy