Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A bit of maintenance on my S4s. - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

A bit of maintenance on my S4s.

philip600

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to install the bellhousing to run the engine, otherwise there is no place to mount the flywheel/crank trigger.

Not sure why when I click on quote it seems to copy it twice ??

Anyway, I realised this tonight while I was discussing the idea with my mate who is helping me, I say mate but when I suggested he could just hold the flywheel sensor while I ran the engine he was having none of it :no

I've no idea why, I mean, what is the worse that could happen ?!

Anyway we ( he ) decided against it so we've fit the new 'o' rings to the splines, fit the new drive shaft oil seals & re-fitted the gearbox tonight along with the auxilary belts & few other little jobs.

Tomorrow night should see the drive shafts re-fitted & all bolts checked & tightened.

I then have the new gear linkage kit & gaitors to fit, the exhaust & brackets & we should be able to start her up :P

Phil.

Edited by ramjet

Back again,

Well, the drive shafts were re-fitted on Thursday night with new roll pins all sealed.

I started the engine last night & she started first turn, bit of a worrying moment when I noticed coolant dripping below the water pump but traced this to the top hose, once this was nipped up all was ok :thumbsup:

So last night I did some more de-greasing, replaced the damaged rivnuts in the boot floor & for the under-tray.

I adjusted the gear linkage kit as per the service notes & today I took her for a quick run around the block.

So far so good, clutch is operating fine & gear change it good.

Jobs still to do are replace engine oil / filter & spark plugs. I can then re-fit the boot floor, vacuum pump etc.

Then I'm going to tackle the brakes with the help of Dodge's guide. I've got a new accumulator & hose to replace the one from the reservoir to the booster pump & clean the pressure switch ( fingers crossed that's all it needs )  

She'll then be all ready for the Summer :driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Further update.

Well I've been busy in the cold garage. Engine oil & filter now changed, Refitted & sealed the boot floor & fit & reconnect the vacuum pump, solonoids etc Started her up again no problems.

I've also removed the ABS pump assembly, replaced the accumulator & cleaned the pressure switch & replaced the rubber hose from the reservoir & re-installed it all.  I've partially bled the brakes ( need to do it all properly ) & now the pump runs every 5th press of the pedal :D

The ABS light is still on though but not sure if I need to clear this or this is indicating there is still a problem. I'm struggling to get Espritmon program to work :book: ( see other posts ) so if someone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful ( computers not my strong point )

The only other thing that has cropped up is the gas struts no longer hold the boot lid open, I must have worn them out opening & closing the boot !

Regards, Phil.

Good effort Phil! You may find that the abs light only goes out after youve driven the car, unless you get espritmon working in which case you can reset it with that.unfortunately computers are not my strong point, but I have experienced.that it doesnt seem to run well on new operating systems...so windows 95 would be grand! But as I say im rubbish with them anyhow...

Me again, I've managed to get Espritmon to work ( many thanks to Erik for taking the time to write this & make it available )

Anyway it has come up with code 56 - TST fail. Can anyone tell me what that means ?

Phil.

• Gold FFM

as you can see in the S4ff workshopbook (the link that is often removed here in the forum, some may know what I mean ..)

-the old style 'powermaster (GM) ABS brake system' is a high-pressure brake actuator, without a vacuum servo assist, and the code number *56 for this is related to

#CODE A056 is the same as CODE A032. For further information. see page 80 .

#CODE A032 OPEN BRAKE SWITCH OR HYDRAULIC LEAK

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks Gunter, I have the manual but thought the brake section was missing. I have found it now by schrolling further down, it's not in order for some reason. So, just checked & my brake lights are intermittant, looks like switch may be sticking so I'll strip it out & test it.

I need this crappy weather to go away so I can get her out for a proper run but too much salt on the roads at present.

Happy Easter !!

Phil

• Gold FFM

it's a *illegal copy* ..so we have to be lucky to have it, at least ..

ok, I have an also illegal (but official sold with advertisement over here in Germany ?) book-type with the full chapter list additionally to use 

..but sometimes the computer is faster to find a sentence / single word in the 1900page *pdf,  via search options ..faster than I could do in my 3 books  :D

You have done some work there on the ABS maybe that is why the code is set -have you had ignition on there to bleed the system ..so was there maybe the switch powered / pedal down and the pressure not present in the system ??

yeah -good luck for you .. I'm out as often as it needs, no matter what the weather is -chassis is coated and the body is fibreglass  ..and rearend looks grey now ..hhahaa

Ok, finally had a proper run out in the Esprit today, ABS light on initially but after checking my brake lights weren't working all the time so with the code 56 I'm sure this is the cause. I've sprayed the pedal switch with WD40 & took her for a run out & so far so good.

Got the MOT done & checked her over when I got back, no signs of any oil leaks so fingers crossed that's the rear seal sorted, it's nice to be able to park her up without having to remember to put my drip tray ( old piece of plywood ) down.

Brakes are now far better with the new accumulator so all in all it's a lot of good jobs done.

I replaced thy dodgy rivnuts holding the boot floor & engine under tray & fitted stainless allen bolts as well. 

All ready for Summer now, anyone any idea when it's arriving ???

Phil.

P.S. I still need to replace the boot lid gas struts, I keep forgetting until it falls on my head - DOH !!

• Gold FFM

summer is waiting ..just for you to finish -so get this car running perfectly !   ..now !!  :D