Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Air Filters - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Air Filters

Hi All,

Going to finally replace the standard air filter, with an upgraded one. Apart from cost, is there any difference e.g performance or quality between the K&N and Green Cotton filters? If I get a K&N one I'll get in from Esprit Engineering so it will fit without having to faff around modifying frames etc.

Thanks

Gareth

Edited by gb_brown

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gareth,

I use a K&N on my S4 and Ill be interested to hear if you 'feel' the difference between the standard and either K&N or Green Cotton.

Personally, I've never compared to a green cotton but I would say the cars runs much better with the new filter in.

Bin the standard ASAP! :lol:

I can't comment on the Green filter but I have been using the K&N for a while and the car feels a little quicker on the uptake than the bog standard filter that was fitted before (might be psychological though... :lol: ). Fitting could not have been easier - it was in place in about 10 minutes.

banner-1.jpg

Hi,

I use the K&N filter in mine and it works well, the green filters are supposed to be very good though and i think the only difference is that the k&n filter gives a slighty louder induction noise, this is according to something i read somewhere :) . but both are good value for money and have good reputations :lol:

regards danny :)

A

Got some good power results from the rolling road using the K&N filter.

IMO you won't notice a difference really between the two...one or two horse power perhaps, not a big deal.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Every current WRC team except Mitsubishi is using Green. If that tells you anything....

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

I use an Amsoil foamfilter with metal screen (for structural integrity), but I believe that they are no longer available...

Does catch alot of dirt with the oil though.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

I opted for the K&N filter.

I don't know if it's the new filter, ram-air mod, decat, ss sports exhaust, or a combination of all of them, but I'm getting some serious blue flame out the back! Goes with the colour of the car :).

The looks on peoples faces :)!

Signature not working...

I opted for the K&N filter.

I don't know if it's the new filter, ram-air mod, decat, ss sports exhaust, or a combination of all of them, but I'm getting some serious blue flame out the back! Goes with the colour of the car :).

Decat will do that.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Your right, the Amsoil is no longer available.

But I've the last unopened one in my garage! :-)

I bought it from someone on the TurboEsprit List

What sort of oil do you need to clean it with?

-Chandra

91SE

I use an Amsoil foamfilter with metal screen (for structural integrity), but I believe that they are no longer available...

Does catch alot of dirt with the oil though.

-Chandra

91SE

You'll probably need to trim the corners to fit, and it's a cram, but that helps sealing.

For oil, you can use AMSOIL or K&N filter oil, and clean with either their cleaner or soap and water. Dry then re-oil. The foam oil filter actually work better when dirty, more for particles to stick to.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Guest rflowers

-Chandra

91SE

I got one too. Still unopened.

Decat + SS Sports Exhaust. The baffles in the stock exhaust should stop most of the flames getting out, wouldnt you say Travis ?

Edited by CarlC

I fitted the Green Cotton Air Filter, today which took longer than I was expecting. As I had the same problems as the owner here. So I also had to take the air box out of the car and "persuade" the filter to fit. That said it wasn't that difficult, just took nearer to an hour than the 20 - 30 mins people have reported on LotusEspritWorld. Are the K&N filters easier to fit?

Not had a chance to test it yet as the car is still needs a bit doing to it before it's drivable again. Though I'm looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference :(

The delivery from PNM was top notch, ordered early Thursday afternoon and it arrived in Friday mornings post.

The trickiest bit about installing a K&N is removing the rubber seal from the existing filter which takes all of 30 seconds. :(:(

IIRC K&N arent allowed to supply this part because of some patent issue or something similar so you have to use the rubber seal from your existing flter, :(

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had the time to put everything back together again and take the car out for a drive :D Can't say I felt much of a difference in power etc. With the Air Ram mod the sucking\induction noise is a lot louder with the new air filter, which is no bad thing in my opinion.

Hi Gareth,

Did you not take my advise then?

I said use K&N for 4 cylniders and Green for V8's. You have to cut off the corners on the green to fit a 4 cylinder. The K&N has a metal frame which slips in no problem!

YOu get about 3-4% increase which only equates to 8-11. I don't think anyone would notice this but it is an increase!

Hi Dave,

Of course I would have :lol: but, I put my order in about two hours before you posted your recommendation.

I would advise anyone else thinking of doing this to follow Dave's advice. The Green Cotton Filter for my SE was

Did you buy it from PNM? If so I might be able to get it swapped for a K&N if you wish? Even if you've cut the corners off!! Might have to charge a small fee of say 10% so Pete can sell it on again as used but your only talking

• 1 year later...

hello everyone. i am going to replace the air filter on my s4 (has standard one on at the moment) what is the best replacement? k&n / green / or igt. if any one has fitted any of these any information would be great.

all the best

Edited by Tentenths
Topics merged

It's Oogies turn to boogie

thank you, looks like k&n if i can get one

K&N is very easy to fit, no changes necessary, took me 15 minutes to get it installed, and most of the time was unbolting and re-bolting the air box. You'll feel teh difference, having more air being sucked in.

I'll look up the K&N reference number for that part ...

Edited by bzguy

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -