Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit went to new owner today and guess what? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit went to new owner today and guess what?

As you may know my Esprit has been up for sale and the new owner picked it up today at about midday. I have just had a phone call from him stuck on the side of the road as the gear lever has gone all floppy. I popped round to see a fellow V8 owner to ask advice as it seems there are some cables that may have popped out of place. So is there anyone in the Guildford area who may be able to help him as the guy who does the work for me is based in Portsmouth.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Hi Dave

If you mean right now, then I couldn't.  But if I can be any help (pretty early) tomorrow morning, then I'd be happy to pop down and check it out.  Suspect a rose joint may have popped though, and this might need more than just a fix...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks Sparky, he is getting it taken back to his home by the RAC if you could go and have a look tomorrow morning I'd really appreciate it. And of course will be happy to pay you for your time. I'll get the details to you asap. Many thanks.

• Gold FFM

Just spoken with the RAC guy in attendance, and the fwd/aft cable joint at the master gearchange has popped.  He's trying to get it back on, but I suspect a cable change may ultimately be required.  Just very unlucky timing, given that I know Dave has spared no expense on this car!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Just had a text from Bret, it would appear that the RAC guy popped it back on but I think Bret may choose to have the cables replaced.

• Gold FFM

It's always the way isn't it. You have no issues with the car and then when you decide to move it in, something decides to give up. Then you have the new owner on the phone with the typical "What's going on?"

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

The cables I am certain will NOT need replacing on a car of this age. It's only the ball joints that will need replacing.

So you finally decided to change your Esprit then Dave. I've been thinking about selling mine for a while now.

Good luck in the future and stay in touch (with the roof coating side at least)!

Regards,

David Walters

It's always the way isn't it. You have no issues with the car and then when you decide to move it in, something decides to give up. Then you have the new owner on the phone with the typical "What's going on?"

And I got the phone call right at the start of the second half of the Harlequins versus Exeter rugby game too! Couldn't contact my friend with a V8 by phone so had to drive round to his house for advice.

The cables I am certain will NOT need replacing on a car of this age. It's only the ball joints that will need replacing.

So you finally decided to change your Esprit then Dave. I've been thinking about selling mine for a while now.

Good luck in the future and stay in touch (with the roof coating side at least)!

Regards,

David Walters

That's interesting David, as I said to Bret the new owner I've never had any issues with the gear change and I wondered if us putting a load of stuff in the boot (base of the Carcoon etc) could have caused the shell to sag and obstruct the movement that's the only different thing in the whole scenario that's different. I know that V8 FOU (Paul) did an upgrade on his to make gearchanges easier due to his injuries following a motor bike accident so I will contact him for any advice he may be able to give to perhaps improve the operation.

I'm looking at buying a large four door car or even considering the occasional hire of an estate car as my daughter is starting University in Norwich and we will land up being a taxi/delivery service for the next four years and neither the Boxster or the Esprit would be suitable.

I'll probably see everyone at Donnington as we are sorting out the roof and gutter problems there and as you know it's a giant building and we are attacking it in several phases over the next 5 years or so.

Edited by ramjet
Fixed quotes

Hi Dave,

Is Paul's V8 a pre 98 with different cables and mechanism?

The post are solid and I've never heard of anyone having to replace them. It's just the ball joint at the gearbox end. My car was in for a clutch a few years back and one of the ball joints popped off when I started the motorway the day after picking it up. Turns out the circlip wasn't pushed home by the garage. They fitted another one for me (used I must add) and I've never had a problem since.

Good luck with the new car purchase and your daughter's Uni.

I may go to Donnington, if so I'll send you a pm.

Regards,

David Walters

Let me recommend a Volvo V40 diesel estate as general transport. I bought a 2001 one for about £2000 three years back and it rolls along the Autoroutes at 130 kph all day, giving nearly 60 mpg. Cruise control, good in car entertainment, full leather interior, aircon....I've done about 35,000 of it's 140,000 miles and as comfortable general transport with bags of space inside it kows no peer...and you can even bung it a bit when it's empty! A perfect and inexpensive adjunct to the Esprit, I've found.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hi Dave,

Is Paul's V8 a pre 98 with different cables and mechanism?

The post are solid and I've never heard of anyone having to replace them. It's just the ball joint at the gearbox end. My car was in for a clutch a few years back and one of the ball joints popped off when I started the motorway the day after picking it up. Turns out the circlip wasn't pushed home by the garage. They fitted another one for me (used I must add) and I've never had a problem since.

Good luck with the new car purchase and your daughter's Uni.

I may go to Donnington, if so I'll send you a pm.

Regards,

David Walters

I'll have to check with Paul but I have a feeling it's a bit earlier than the one I had.

Let me recommend a Volvo V40 diesel estate as general transport. I bought a 2001 one for about £2000 three years back and it rolls along the Autoroutes at 130 kph all day, giving nearly 60 mpg. Cruise control, good in car entertainment, full leather interior, aircon....I've done about 35,000 of it's 140,000 miles and as comfortable general transport with bags of space inside it kows no peer...and you can even bung it a bit when it's empty! A perfect and inexpensive adjunct to the Esprit, I've found.

Sounds good, I am leaning more towards the odd hiring as having a car around all the time means road tax insurance etc.

• Gold FFM

just a note to this the 1998 on will have 4 quick-coupling joints there in the system

-two on the gearbox end and two on the shifter

..if the drivers sees that both cable ends on the gearbox end are still in place (and the RAC men had seen it of course) ..you can tell the new owner there is a conceptional problem with the shifter end inside the car:

Especially if the coupling/cables are not positioned right (perfectly as within factory arrangement), or if the couplings on at least one end [gearbox or main shifter] have to much play, both couplings inside of the car get get in harsh contact to each other in a specific movement of the shifter. It is simply a constructive thing, as the way of movement on the levers there on the shifter end, this is geometrical closer than those separated ones on the gearbox end.

Have seen that as my cable was gone of some day in the past -and like the RAC man I too helped in McGyver way with a stiff wire ..to pop the fallen of part back in place -without to undo the whole shifter.

You can be sure that I rearanged the cables/couplings slightly after this and tightend the conter-nut on the cable, but this happens especially if there is a new driver in the car as well as if those are to weared out  ..as in those casas and if you are not 'in practise' with the EspritV8 shifting you tend to 'search' the geargate/gear and that is when it happpens.

If you dont believe me, just undo the shifter souround and supporting plate (the flat plate with all the M8 screws) and put a light next to the shifter, see what happens if you try various 'unmotivated' positons..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thank you Gunter,

Your post was both informative and reassuring.

Edited by Bibs
Removed quote of preceding post