Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Day to Day Supercars... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Day to Day Supercars...

Not that I'm thinking ( seriously NO!!! ) ... but I've been wondering is there such a thing as a usable super car? 

By all accounts the MP4-12C comes close, but can slip in your Fessa to the shops and back? I'd take a guess anything pre 430 is more than a handful but does anyone know? The R8 looks viable, I'm sure the V10 is the dogs nads but what happens when you slip that engine in a Gallardo?

To me the usability is the great thing about the Evora, but then it's not really the full Supercar Monty...so is there anything out there as usable but exotic?

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the Evora was a supercar, especially as there is no real definition of what a supercar is.

I think cars like the Mclaren are in the hypercar league these days.

Even the 12C? It's amazing but a long way from the P1, Pagani's, Enzo's etc. 

Not sure about the Evora's 'status'... perhaps it's the engine that makes the difference in the exotic stakes but as you say there's no real definition. 

An R8 is an Audi, Audi's are no super cars in my simple brain, but pure penis extentioners. The chavs that used to drive BMW 10 years ago, now drive Audi's. Audi drivers seem to be people who feel an urge to prove something, I'm really disgusted by the brand Audi. I wouldn' want to be associated with it in any way!

And there are people who I know, who own R8s, they are not cheap to drive! But then again which super car is cheap to drive, then it wouldn't be a super car, would it? ;)

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

You'll find a 911 (turbo) on each corner of the street, how could that qualify for a super car? It's almost becoming a commodity. And again they are expensive to drive. 4 People I know very well owned 997 and 996 4S types, NONE of them did 60k kms with their fist engines and 3 out of them NEVER tracked the car.

What is even a bit funny is that guy who did track the car, got his engine partially replaced under warranty, the other 3 didn't get any warranty from Porsche at all and believe me you could do a whole load of Lotus Esprit engine rebuilds for the money of 1 Porsche engine. I saw the bills.... Was I happy they were not mine to pay for!

In the end still 1 of the 4 persons stll owns a Porsche (GT3), 1 of them owns a Penis Pump R8 these days, the one who did trackdays, does trackdays in a Exige S and the last one owns a Gallardo, but is affraid to drive it; as it's an open bill...

Edited by Exploded

Hmmm... agreed on the Audi, at least to an extent. It's a bit of a looker and that V10 is the stuff of messy dreams but yes, it's an AUDI, as driven by estate agents from Fulham. I don't get Porkers, or more accurately I refuse to get Porkers, lazy bunch of sods have been trolling out the same Beetle derived chaff for 100's of years and still can't get the engine in the right place. 

I see vast amounts of Maserati's about these days though, at least in far bigger numbers than Loti. Quite a few later Fessa's too... I can't believe they're all garage queens... or maybe they are? As for Astons, do they count? Great heritage but feel like a Chesterfield on wheels compared to a Lotus. 

I'd love to have a black quattroporte with black windows ;) Mob style is still better than chav style ;) Must grow a tiny mustache then as well for my Maser LOL :P

But then I know the Masers suffer from loads of problems as well... ;) I could easily afford a low mileage second hand one, they are ridiculously cheap, but I'm affraid of the service and tow truck bills... And also yearly taxes + insurance in Belgium, it's crazy (over 4000 euro a year!) I must admit an R8 or 911 are much more reliable, to my knowledge :D

Edited by Exploded

Debatable... if you let lumps of lard like that in you have to admit endless uber Beemers, Mercs and other specced up fat cat mobiles.

Amazing.... and I bet that's 15,000 sedate miles all driven within the CA speed limits too!  :police:

That V10 looks like a very serious engine, but what the deal on serving etc? Are we talking Lambo type figures as well as performance? 

You'll find a 911 (turbo) on each corner of the street, how could that qualify for a super car? It's almost becoming a commodity. And again they are expensive to drive. 4 People I know very well owned 997 and 996 4S types, NONE of them did 60k kms with their fist engines and 3 out of them NEVER tracked the car.

What is even a bit funny is that guy who did track the car, got his engine partially replaced under warranty, the other 3 didn't get any warranty from Porsche at all and believe me you could do a whole load of Lotus Esprit engine rebuilds for the money of 1 Porsche engine. I saw the bills.... Was I happy they were not mine to pay for!

In the end still 1 of the 4 persons stll owns a Porsche (GT3), 1 of them owns a Penis Pump R8 these days, the one who did trackdays, does trackdays in a Exige S and the last one owns a Gallardo, but is affraid to drive it; as it's an open bill...

I thought the question was everyday supercars. By this I assumed supercar performance not rarity? The reason you see them on every street corner is that they are supercars you can use everyday. And the engines are very different from the chocolate normaly apsirated 911's.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

The 911 Turbo has the title of being an everyday supercar. In my many forays into selling the Esprit, the first time I had set my budget at £45K to replace the Esprit. I tried an Aston Martin V12, a 360 Modena and a 996 911 Turbo all secondhand of course. The Porsche came out the clear winner in my opinion and the biggest suprise was the servicing costs in which the Porsche was in the hundreds per year whereas the other two were in the thousands. Just recently I upped my budget to £55K and again the 997 Turbo just came out the best car in my opinion. I always set a budget, drive my choice of cars within two days without any preconcieved ideas of what armchair experts have to say about them and base my choice on pure driving experience, then look into running costs and ask people who run the cars their opinion Pistonheads is useful for this. As a lifelong Lotus man I have to confess to warming to Porsche cars and consider myself not to be a blinkered brand fanatic.

Amazing.... and I bet that's 15,000 sedate miles all driven within the CA speed limits too!  :police:

That V10 looks like a very serious engine, but what the deal on serving etc? Are we talking Lambo type figures as well as performance? 

When I bought the car I got the extended 70,000mi. 7 yr. warentee and service contract so all service is included, so I don't  know off the top of my head...

I did change out the springs the second day I had the car and it has a flashed APR tune to give it a safe 580 hp.

I often take the back roads over the mountains to the shop to work on the 211 project out in the desert.

After 15,000 and now on my second set of tires this car is perfect. It is as tight as day one, no squeeks or rattles over the rough roads at speed, just perfect to the point of being slightly boring until you switch off the traction control... :smoke:

I think it's fast enough…maybe

I think many of the cars you are talking about, 911, Evora, Bentley, Aston can all be classified as GT Sportscars.

A supercar (also called hypercars) are all unusuable day to day just by definition surely?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Erm....hello? Graham? Awesome to see you on here bud. :thumbup:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

The 911 Turbo has the title of being an everyday supercar. In my many forays into selling the Esprit, the first time I had set my budget at £45K to replace the Esprit. I tried an Aston Martin V12, a 360 Modena and a 996 911 Turbo all secondhand of course. The Porsche came out the clear winner in my opinion and the biggest suprise was the servicing costs in which the Porsche was in the hundreds per year whereas the other two were in the thousands. Just recently I upped my budget to £55K and again the 997 Turbo just came out the best car in my opinion. I always set a budget, drive my choice of cars within two days without any preconcieved ideas of what armchair experts have to say about them and base my choice on pure driving experience, then look into running costs and ask people who run the cars their opinion Pistonheads is useful for this. As a lifelong Lotus man I have to confess to warming to Porsche cars and consider myself not to be a blinkered brand fanatic.

Having owned a few Porsches over the years I always said if you can only have one car make it a Porsche until I bought the R8.

After a while the Porsche will become boring and you see yourself coming and going as you drive around, the cool new special feeling fades quickly with a Porsche.

I think it's fast enough…maybe

I think thats because you are possibly someone who values the qualities of a Lotus and yes the Porsche is maybe a little too accomplished which dulls the excitement once past the "i can't believe how fast it is" stage. I think for the purposes of this thread we need to draw a battle line where supercars end and hypercars start. For me a supercar does under 205mph but more than 175mph but a hypercar is 220mph plus. Bit of a grey area in the middle obviously for discussion.

And for all those doubters, look back at most supercar tests and you will find the 911 Turbo there as a benchmark as its performance still cuts the mustard.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM

Spotted this 458 today. Not really useable, just thought it an excuse to post it in this weird color.

4E2E46C0-B2F9-4803-8D49-739D0C10743A-675

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!