Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
WRONG - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

WRONG

Evil_Dr_Fish

A HUGE piece of my childhood has just disappeared :)

...and I suspect for many of you too?

So gutted :P

Set_mode = droop;

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no my geeky side laments a great loss whilst my cool side misses something to smash in a tantrum! :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

A very sad day...

but it seems there may be just a glimmer of hope

Being of the 'never throw anything away' mentality I've still got half a dozen or so uncompleted kits from my childhood tucked away somewhere. Most completed models were eventually used as air rifle/slingshot targets, or 'flown' out of an upstairs window having been soaked in white spirit and set alight. Happy days :)

Just one has survived to this day - a Cutty Sark. Now looks very battered, to the point that I binned it last year; Mrs TT retrieved it from the bin as she couldn't "let me throw a piece of my childhood away". Bless.

Anyone else with survivors?

Edited by Tentenths

Guest Steve L

I used to have a friend that wanted to be a test pilot for Airfix :)

However we did'nt 'stick' together for long after that. :P

I even rember the Humbrol factory in Hull - how sad is that ?

Used to love building these things with my brother, we would paint and then hang them by string attached to the bedroom ceiling by a drawing pin :) made loads and used to keep us out of trouble for ages :P only having bunk beds we used to knock our heads on them sometimes so they were also under the bed aswell a sort of airfix graveyard collecting dust! still have a B17 Bomber back in my warddrobe back at dads house :) may make it some rainy day when i go to visit him :P

regards danny

A

Had them all over my bedroom, the place was a regular mini-aircraft factory :P

Little brother would get into the glue and eat the plastic parts! :)

Never liked Airfixes car kits much though (too small in scale) :P

Great joy when I descovered a hobby shop in Birmingham that sold the American AMT and Revell kits in 1.24 scale :P

Sadly none survive :(

All victims of mean stepmothers revenge :)

Did a few Monogram car kits about 10 years ago during a bad winter here , and built up my Pocher F40 kit, but not the same fun I had as a kid :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I still have a huuuge F14 I made :P

I *may* still have my Tamiya JPS F1 car that I made soooo well and my brothers mates were all really impressed with how well I made it one night, after the pub "here - look at this it's... OOPS!" :)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Yeah happy days for us old blokes.

All mine were aircraft, usualy painted whilst the glue was still setting and then on with transfers over wet paint before a maiden flight around the house.

Never dabbled with the boats and things.

The as a teenager built an S1. It came in red, but I wanted it white. I also painted the seats tartan.It was such a big model that I had to spray it white rather than hand painting with a brush. I then made a perspex case for it. Lasted many years, but didn't survive a house move. Still got a 916 in the box under the bed. That'll have to wait till the kids have left home.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Humbrol factory is still in Hull complete with plane outside.

We drive past it quite regularily. It's about 5 miles away.

It's a sad day up here.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

• Gold FFM

I should still have a pretty good Airfix aircraft collection in parents loft.

Did anyone else always get the sodding glue over the "cockpit" windows all the time?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I guess modern young lads aren't interested. It doesn't have a battery, engine and remote control. Shame, they'll never understand that feeling of total frustration when the bloody parts wouldn't stay glued together or the transfers wouldn't quite line up, if you didn't show the required patience. They'll never have that memory of the vapours from the cement, you know, the ones that got you a little high. In this modern world, youngsters miss out on a lot of the fun of being children. It reminds me of playing with Mamod steam engines, bloody good fun and better than any classroom lesson. I did set a classroom on fire with the meths burner once. You couldn't see the flames until it had started to burn well. Fortunately for the classroom, but unfortunately for me, a teacher happened by and put it out.

Modern kids apear to have it all, but in reality, they've got bugger all.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

• Gold FFM
I guess modern young lads aren't interested. It doesn't have a battery, engine and remote control. Shame, they'll never understand that feeling of total frustration when the bloody parts wouldn't stay glued together or the transfers wouldn't quite line up, if you didn't show the required patience. They'll never have that memory of the vapours from the cement, you know, the ones that got you a little high. In this modern world, youngsters miss out on a lot of the fun of being children. It reminds me of playing with Mamod steam engines, bloody good fun and better than any classroom lesson. I did set a classroom on fire with the meths burner once. You couldn't see the flames until it had started to burn well. Fortunately for the classroom, but unfortunately for me, a teacher happened by and put it out.

Modern kids apear to have it all, but in reality, they've got bugger all.

Very true Nick.

I know with my kids, if its a toss up between - Riding bikes/climbimg trees or computer games, the later wins every time. I'm not saying its computer games are wrong, but it is a matter of finding a happy medium between the both. The amount of time I have to say "go outside and get some fresh air" "get your bikes out" of "fancy a walk" - usially gets the same reply of a strange grunt - not even teenagers yet!

(Besides its my computer and LEF needs viewing) :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Never did the airfix thing :)

I was a lego kid :P

(i don't mean i was made of lego, obviously)

I had airfix models too not just a man thing, planes and tanks, but mainly sci fi stuff...although maybe i am a strange breed..lol :)

and i had lego :P happy days....my little brother has my lego now, but i am hoping he will let me have it back now my kids are old enough.....(honest its for the kids) my dad never let me have meccano as i had technical lego instead :P

purza

Purza I think I speak for many of us when I say "Will you marry me?!" :) hahaha

I was very lucky I had kits, meccano and lego and given a choice I wouldn't have been without ANY of them :)

Ian - the liquid glue was the way foward - once you graduate from the tube that won't deliver any at all until you get frustrated and give it a bit more of a squeeze... at which point it oozes continuously for 3 minutes straight! :P

Gutted :P My ceiling use to be full of WWII fighters and bombers as a kid.

A few years ago I built a Sptifire just to see if I could do it without getting glue all over the cockpit glass and with straight wings etc. It was loads of fun, though did it take a long time to do properly.