Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine's coming out - what else I can do? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine's coming out - what else I can do?

neill1607

Looks like the water pump's developed a leak. I've got the stainless steel manifold to fit; a couple of new alloy fuel tanks; change the belts & the clutch.  

Suggestions for anything else I should do whilst the engine's out?

Hooligan at heart.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check all the pipes brakes flexi and solid plus fuel.

New SS clips on pipes incase you need to remove at a later date.

New mounts

Bulkhead bolts if not done already.

Anything that needs hauling out of the backbone could be checked.

Etc 

Throttle and choke cables...crossgate cable...coolant pipes (they tend to crack through by the hose clips)...heat shields...engine mounts...probably other stuff I can't remember!! Have a very good look around everything, half an hour spent staring at the empty hole can be very rewarding in the long run! Change all the fasteners on the engine surrounds...stainless and copper grease when reassembling means they come out a lot more readily the next time; you'll probably break some dismantling and have to drill them out. The fasteners holding the air filter can be corroded, too.....thing is, to make sure you only ever need to mess about with corroded fasteners ONCE!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yep, its the water pump. SJ's have some reconditioned units & an overhaul kit, Anyone any experience as to which is best to go for?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure more things will come to light once the lump is out.

Bulkhead bolts have been bugging me, but I'd probably have forgotten if you hadn't mentioned them!

Hooligan at heart.

Yep, its the water pump. SJ's have some reconditioned units & an overhaul kit, Anyone any experience as to which is best to go for?

I don't know for sure but I think you need a press to do the water pump kit.

I'd buy a recon unit....overhauling the pump really needs a decent press, and there is a carbon seal that's very easy to crack and ruin during assembly!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein