Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Racing V6 Power Upgrade - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Racing V6 Power Upgrade

Can't believe that this is not already being acclaimed all over here. If it's been done and I missed it, moderators please delete this - and keep my embarrassment quiet, I beg!.

The Lotus Racing Catalogue, dated November 2013, page 3, leads off with a forthcoming in 2014 power upgrade package for the V6 Exige.  The real deal: manifolds, down pipes, exhaust, filter and intake, and re-calibrated engine management to suit.  Optimised for torque as well as power.  No numbers or price yet.

Marvellous!  The most exciting Lotus news for ages IMO, not just for those who will use it, but for the fact it is being offered. The last related thing I saw in the catalogue previously was a "performance air filter" and the sport exhaust.

Surely this will be usable on the Evora too?

Wonder if it is home developed or have they done a deal with Komo-Tec or someone. 

http://issuu.com/lotuscars/docs/racing_brochure

EDIT: Other suspension goodies listed too.

Edited by mdavies

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm watching with interest!

Interesting to see what the power claims are but it suggests one power increase whereas Komo-tec offer a choice of 2 (390 and 410). I for one would rather use the factory to upgrade my car.

I'm also interested to see what the forged wheels look like, I could be tempted by a set if they look nice.

The monster brakes look awesome but would annoy me a bit if I'd already splashed out extra for the '2-piece' disc option on a V6S. Having a V6 Cup I got those for free so not too bothered but I've not experienced anything to suggest that my brakes need upgrading yet. But I guess brakes are one of those things that you can never have too much of. I might wait until there's a carbon ceramic option though, more brake dust I could do without!

I should add that the car can keep up with most things on a trackday without breaking a sweat but it would be nice to raise a few eyebrows down the straights as well. Being honest there isn't much of a straight line advantage in a V6 Cup over a V6S, perhaps the power upgrade should be restricted to Cup cars only!

;) 

I'm wondering if the Lotus performance upgrade will be road legal. If I look at the (strange looking) manifolds on page 6 I don't see any pre-cats and there is no mention of a main sports cat like with the KomoTech upgrades.

Bit of a dampener.  Adrian Kent responded right away to my email asking for details, including road/track of course.  His reply:

The power upgrade for the V6 Exige is still something that we are looking at but nothing has been decided on exact spec and delivery dates as yet but when it does we will of course make sure that it is properly released to the general public, and thanks for your comments.

Strange phrase "released to the general public", given that it is featured powerfully in the catalogue!

On the positive aspect that means we still have a chance to influence matters.  The more who express enthusiasm the more chance of it happening, I would assume.  And perhaps - as I did - to request that silencer/cat options include a road legal version if not standard. I hope he will have lots of interest very soon.

For some strange reason I think it will be very popular.

Strange because the opportunities to use all 345bhp of the standard car are few and far between on public roads.

Just about the last thing my car needs is more power but I'd join the queue for a factory upgrade too. If only for the befuddled expression on 911 GT3 owners faces.

I reckon a nice round 400bhp would hit the spot.

So you've written, Jonny?!

Entirely agree your reasoning.  I don't get to try even the full standard blast until after my first service tomorrow - and then only gently for a while of course - but I'm already in the queue. 

I wonder if the mention of a CF intake pipe - had to step up from Radium of course! - indicates they do have at least a prototype design in mind.

EDIT: This Is being discussed on SELOC too. An encouraging quote from a poster there: "........seen the power kit in testing at Hethel ............".  That's better!  

Edited by mdavies

What's encouraging for existing owners is that they would appear to be taking a slightly different approach with the Exige V6. V6 S owners can already get most of the V6 Cup parts and V6 Cup owners can get the V6 Cup R parts too if they want. It means are cars are represent an already excellent base from which to uprate into something astonishing. Whether by design or happy accident I don't know, but Exige ownership usually comes with a dose of upgraditis, it only makes sense for the factory to benefit from this. Just think how much it would have been worth to Nissan if all the money spent upgrading the GTRs came back to the factory?!

Whereas previously every new Exige was better than the last, it looks like we'll be able to keep up with the development this time round. While I'm sure there will be an Exige V6 S400 with carbon parts in time, owners of early cars like ourselves will be able to keep on the pace.

I'm in no major hurry for them to bring out the parts, next year would suit me fine, it's always better to get to know the car in standard form first to better appreciate the upgrades. I have already been asking what is in the pipeline, but I'm very happy with the car as it is. Still, it's good to know that there are some very exciting options on the way.

• 3 months later...

I spoke to Lotus at the Autosport show.

The CupR engine upgrade is on its way, that's an HKS filter and remap giving 366 PS @ 7,200 rpm, Max Torque 413 Nm @ 5,000 rpm. The standard engine makes 350PS @ 7k and 400 Nm @ 4500.

I shall be first in the queue! It should make 6000-7200rpm range even more feral but I wouldn't expect much difference if any below 5k. 

Nothing else was confirmed and I think forged wheels are on hold for the time being but I bet there's plenty more in the pipeline...

More induction noise is likely with a freer flowing air filter, so should be a noticeable difference inside the cabin if not from outside.

It will be interesting to see how they price it. Unless it's unreasonably expensive I'm definitely up for it.

But that's just broken the first rule of modding, never admit to any power increases!

• 3 weeks later...

Let me have a word with my man in the know.

I'm keen to get it done.

The car really doesn't need a whole heap more power, sure 500bhp would be hilarious in a straight line but much over 400bhp and it will mean being a lot more patient before getting on the throttle after an apex. As standard you can pin it in the dry and just hang on. But I a little more sharpness above 6k would be nice and I think just tip the car's performance to the next level. I personally think 15bhp will be noticeable in such a light car. I would also rather have a factory power upgrade than a komotech or whoever.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me have a word with my man in the know.

I'm keen to get it done.

The car really doesn't need a whole heap more power, sure 500bhp would be hilarious in a straight line but much over 400bhp and it will mean being a lot more patient before getting on the throttle after an apex. As standard you can pin it in the dry and just hang on. But I a little more sharpness above 6k would be nice and I think just tip the car's performance to the next level. I personally think 15bhp will be noticeable in such a light car. I would also rather have a factory power upgrade than a komotech or whoever.  

Jonny,

what does your man in the know say?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

It's coming but it's not a straightforward job. Not quite there yet. He was also very skeptical about some of the claims the tuners are making for this engine. I think there's a big difference between a power increase done cheaply and a power increase done properly.

Lotus are very good and very thorough about stuff like engine mapping. In part because it can affect the way the car handles. An engine that hesitates or stutters can upset the balance of the car mid-corner. Tuners might not care about stuff like that whereas Lotus does.

Agreed Jonny that the power upgrade would be exciting. But also agreed that the chassis, balance, brakes etc do seem so perfect for the power to weight ratio as the car is currently set up. I suspect the Cup R wing and aero package might be needed to push it down in the corners?

When I picked up my car from B & C Jamie mentioned they where finalizing a power upgrade to take to 375/380 BHP. Cost around £3,500 if memory serves me right.

Of course Hangar 111 does a 405 upgrade and talking with Greg will soon release a 425 BHP version

One thing that does concern me is that how would the DPM would coup with the extra power and torque?

Does the Cup R have DPM or being a race car they dispense with it?

While more power is always attractive I never really see the point on track at least. I suppose there is a good argument for it on the road but given a well piloted MX5 will give an average driver of an Exige a fair amount of trouble I will be spending my money initially on driver tuition.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Of course Hangar 111 does a 405 upgrade and talking with Greg will soon release a 425 BHP version

Got a link? All I could find on their site for the Exige V6 was 3 radiators and fuel tank.

380bhp in an Exige would be dramatic, that's the same bhp as the Lotus Carlton had!

Of course Trevor is absolutely correct that learning to use all of the standard 345bhp around a circuit is a better use of time and money.

I'm sure the brakes, chassis and suspension could easily cope with another 30-40bhp. Much beyond that and you might be getting into straight-line speed at the expense of some cornering ability, which is not really what the Exige is all about. Is the Hennessy Venom a great Exige? No.

Still, 380bhp would definitely not go to waste at the Kemmel straight at Spa or at the Nurburgring. The V6S lapped the 'ring in 7.53 which is hugely impressive. A genuine 380bhp might be worth another 10 seconds around there, maybe more.