Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 crying for help! - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 crying for help!

• Like 1

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Think my decision has been made for me.... Roman Bronze and gold Speedlines it will be, now that red/white interior will have to go to!

Can see this car becoming a major rebuild in the future!

I should change my mind with the S1 really and go back to original with the bronze and tan interior, think I have gone too far though as all done in Tartan :(

Still not a keeper as plan on buying an Essex so may just continue as planned.

That S2 pic above is stunning though and so much nicer than the current state.

Thanks for the comments guys

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I should change my mind with the S1 really and go back to original with the bronze and tan interior, think I have gone too far though as all done in Tartan :(

Mint green? (Go on);

post-6978-0-61834300-1332533336.jpg

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Lain, I wish I had your bodywork skills, paintwork has been the Achilles heel for my S1 build, once painted everything is done so just rebuild, I have been let down on confirmed bookings five times now with the latest date being 'sometime in March'. My neighbours would go mad if I paint myself as it was bad enough when I built a fibreglass roof on the garage over the summer with fumes. :(

Pete, saw those wheels and have been considering calling Mike, was hoping to get a set cheaper though as sold a set for £120 a little while ago, VAT and postage does it.

I will consider my options but my current aim is to have it ready for the Lotus meet in April as want to meet some of the people on here to put faces to names.

I am going to hold on the S1 though and concentrate my efforts on the S2 and see where that takes me.

Mint green Mark...... The better half would kill me as hates green cars, is that a genuine colour? I sort of like it though!

• Like 1

Mint green Mark...... The better half would kill me as hates green cars, is that a genuine colour? I sort of like it though!

Production figures show a handful (TonyK will know exactly) and that one in the magazine is the only Esprit I've ever seen, though seen some Elites/Eclat in that shade. Unfortunately this car's colour was lost to the world when it was resprayed black by the new (Norwegian i think) owner just after that article. The interior for these was the brown mouse fur, would tartan match?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out some cool information on my S2, I wrote to the DVLA for previous owner information and sent letters to all 14 previous keepers...

Turns out the first owner was Kenny Balls and Acker Bilk's producer/manager of over 30 years called Les Squire's, the second owner remembers buying it from him. I have since been in contact with Les who confirms it was his car and had a factory tour with Chris Barber who he worked with before buying the Roman Bronze S2.

He is going to try a find me a picture which will be fantastic, I was brought up with Jazz music as my father is a big fan of Acker Bilk so it has grabbed his interest too!

I will post any updates

Went hunting in the loft tonight and well pleased with what I found for the S2........

New old stock SU pump as rebuilding the entire fuel system

New old stock dizzy cap and arm, no big deal but saves a few quid!

The gear surround which is missing

The heated window switch which is broke and a couple holding clips

A couple tailgate brackets to get plated and swapped over one for one.

A replacement B post trim as mine is badly cracked.

A pair of superb cant rails

A pair of number plate lights - the icing on the cake, well pleased!

I have also found several headlights as not sure of the condition on the S2 with regards to the chrome.

A good evenings work, only got done because the better half was out for the evening!

Hi.

i just looked at the pic and as far as I can see the rotor arm is one with the metal attached via a rivet. If I were you I'd ditch that and go with one where it's attached by the moulded plastic of the main body. The rivet ones can corrode and short out, mainly an issue for the ones with steel rivets coated in brass rather than pure brass but after having two fail on me, I now only use the plastic bonded ones.

Thanks for the tip Andy, consider it ditched as trying to make it reliable, already spent a fortune on the engine bay sorting out old bodge work.

Just need some fine weather and get the old girl back together..

Buddsy, I love finding out the cars history and always contact previous owners, never got anything from the S1 though which was a shame but often the case with people moving homes etc :(

Still hopefully I can keep digging on the S2 :)

Interesting Dave. I have thought to do this at some point when I am not under the car so much - what/who do you write to and what details do you need? I'm in Australia so can't just walk in off the street (even more so ATM due to your floods apparently :) ) Iain

Hi Iain

Not sure how easy this will be now, you normally need to be the present UK owner, pay a small fee and fill out a form sending it to the DVLA in Swansea.

Was your car exported from the UK, if so there may be some hope provided you can give proof of ownership and pay the fees for postage etc. Best contact them first, the form attachment is below;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206691/V888.pdf

If you want me to do anything from my end let me know?

Here is a picture of my car from 1979 with it's original owner he kindly sent me, I was really pleased to receive it and thought it would have gold Speedlines rather than silver.

Doesn't she look great!

post-10978-0-00805400-1392984287.jpg

Looks like my mind is made up to fully restore in the future...

• Like 2

That's looks great ! can't imagine having a girl sit on top of my brand new £60,000 lotus ! lol

You must print this image and hang it in your garage as motivation ! ;)

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

LOVE IT!!!! Awesome!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks guys, here is another pic Vin kindly tidied up for me;

post-10978-0-85062800-1393182076.jpg

I have the paperwork now to apply for its original plate, I need to get a club stamp which should be fine then back on its DPK 699V.

That car must have looked the business back in 79 and doesn't Les look the part, reminds me of pics with Colin Chapman and a S2.

Carbs are now rebuilt and I changed the Cambelt Saturday which was fun..... Not!

• Like 2