Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus in 2014 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus in 2014

Gabber

Honda's new engines look very promising and their 8-speed gear box doesn't look too shabby, either! I'd love to hear an Esprit announcement but I'm starting to think that project's gone the way of the dodo and the Evora Roadster ...

Perhaps a new/updated dash/interior for the Elise/Exige line-ups in order to rid themselves of one of their biggest criticisms?

To be honest, I'll be glad if they have another steady year, building the quality and increasing the orders, but to succeed, they need something new and all the new jobs being created do suggest that 'something' is in the offing ...

• Like 1

I thought the new Elise interiors looked great, in fact I reckon the car's looking better than ever, not at all dated either.... be good to see some effort put into the Exige interior though.

I'd love to see a stripped out Evora, something along the lines of the Esprit GT3, shouldn't think that's too much of an ask? 

Can't see the Esprit though, time to polish up what cars they have and let people know about them outside of the Lotus community.

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Would love, like Sterling, to see a stripped out "racing Evora for the road". Stripped out, lighter, body kit and race exhaust as standard, doesn't even need air con as standard.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Oooh, good one. Ask me again in March. I think something will be announced in March.

But, I've been wrong before.

Assuming the Evora is at mid life, it needs an update. Am thinking facelift and power upgrade, particularly for the NA. Interesting what Lutz said in Car. And, as suggested a V6 Cup and Cup R, weight reduction, sequential box and power increase type thing. And, obviously a convertible version (how is it that a convertible is in some way not commercially viable!? when it was designed with this in mind); failing that, a targa, panoramic type glass, or a 1970's sunroof. Anything! How could this not sell more cars?!

Exige is new and fine as is and wouldn't justify any more cash splashed on it.

Assuming that a new Elise is around the corner, then some final edition type Elises. Something really lightweight would play to the Elise's strength. Road-going Cup maybe. No point wasting money making a new interior for a tub that must now be on its way out.

And, in my super ace world, an Esprit reveal in Sep.

Awesome.

Sudders and Dany

So, we're stuck with a car that has the same power-to-weight and seats as most hot hatches, for another year.

An AM V8 is suddenly looking good again.

Sudders and Dany

We already know there's an Elise Cup R on the way. So a road going Elise Cup isn't a huge leap of imagination. There are also lots of upgrades for the Exige V6 in the pipeline, I would expect to hear some news at the Autosport show in January on that. My guess is they will largely take the form of upgrades for existing cars but it's a bit of a no brainer to launch an edition with all the go-faster bits on it.

Evora is definitely due another raft of revisions, I'm guessing exterior styling will be at the forefront given all the quality and interior work that went into the 2012MY cars. Who knows, maybe the direct injection version of the Toyota V6 will spice up the n/a version, that would make 300bhp with ease. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a 400bhp supercharged Evora well before 2014's out. 

Some new stickers and heavy, lazily designed, after-market pap ain't enough for me. Come radio silence in March, I'm outta here.

Have you seen just how many used AM V8s are convertibles? Using my highly (un)scientific method of analysis, I have determined that more people buy convertibles than coupes.

Not Awesome. I like being a Lotus owner. Not awesome at all.

Sudders and Dany

'lightweight poorly trimmed seats'

'heavy, lazily designed, after-market pap'

had a lousy Christmas or something?

Compared to the treatment a 911 GT3 gets, the Esprit GT3 was barely a special edition by comparison. Smaller and less powerful engine, some dealer fit decals, some painted interior parts and fibreglass bucket seats. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Compared to the treatment a 911 GT3 gets, the Esprit GT3 was barely a special edition by comparison. Smaller and less powerful engine, some dealer fit decals, some painted interior parts and fibreglass bucket seats.

Compared to the "all new 911" they bring out every year, new seats, aftermarket pap and new stickers is a total change haha :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

It's worth remembering the original reason for the GT3 Esprit. Lots of tax efficient 2.0ltr engines cluttering up the place and nowhere to put them. Not really the best basis for a focussed lightweight edition, although, as usual Marketing were saved by Ride and Handling.

Johnny, you are right, I did have a lousy Christmas, and it is important to remember that the Evora et al are awesome cars in their own right. No doubt. But I do stand by my personal view that I have a car which has about the same power to weight as the current generation of hot hatches and the same after market seats. And, even though owning a Lotus is quite spesh, I would like to see some evolution and if there ain't none then I'm going to evolve my tastes into an AMV8 (which received a reworked engine 18 months after launch and sell more roadsters than coups).

I might buy a Lotus push bike though, for 5.5k, just so that I can stay in the club.

Something better happen in March.

Awesome

Sudders and Dany

Like he's going to say :)

My contact in engineering says something similar but he says you may be suprissed later in the year should things and money go to plan

Communication internally isn't much better than externally. The only person who knows what 2014 has in store for Lotus is Aslam and he's not spilling the beans. Anyone else is just guessing.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Considering the new staff is just hiring it would be illogical expect anything big in 2014. Upgrades to the MY 2015 (Q3/Q4) would be the earliest date for anything new.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!