Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
4-2-1 exhaust for Excel - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

4-2-1 exhaust for Excel

jep

Just dropped my Excel SE to LotusBits for the 4-2-1 exhaust. Engine out job to fit, so they will I am sure find other things to do once that is on the bench. It seems wise to do the clutch, perhaps lightened flywheel. I am hoping the engine will breath better (it had a cheap exhaust purchased by the previous owner) and that the car will sound more menacing. I will know within 1 mile whether I have made the right choice for me. An exhaust is either right for a car or not. I have learnt that lesson before.

The LotusBits set up seemed very impressive. Clean and enthusiastic.

Justin

Interested to know how you get on here.

I had a place near me - 'Pipe Craft' new Basildon, Essex (who I highly recommend) cut some new bits into my custom Excel's exhaust.

I'm due back in the spring for them to replace the mid section silencer with a custom box, but I've seen on SJS performance upgrade that they do a straight pipe replacement - I guess that the price is noise in the cabin?

Does anyone have any lessons learnt to share on silencer vs straight pipe for performance?

I have a stainless exhaust . It is a a simple 4 into 1 . It has one center box , but no back boxes. I have nothing to compare it with , but I think it makes a fantastic growl , not too loud , and the car goes very well

02.29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On top of the exhaust, I have been persuaded to fit a lightened flywheel (a reproduction of the Works Sunbeam Lotus flywheel) and new cams. This should all make the engine rev better. Cannot wait to get Zoom back.

• 4 weeks later...

Collected the Excel from LotusBits today. The engine breathes and pulls significantly better, a vast improvement. The exhaust note is not what I would call sexy but purposeful. I would like a bit more over-run pop and cackle, apparently that can be achieved by modifying the jets but generally satisfactory. I have achieved my main aim, in that the engine for the first time feels like it is letting out the horses as it really should. As the car was set up professionally before (not by LotusBits) and I was told it was running very well, I am content that the spend on exhaust, flywheel and cam have made the difference.

• 4 years later...
19 hours ago, black eclat said:

Did they have to modify the inner wings to fit the exhaust?

99% sure no modification needed but the inner wing is quite scorched...…..LotusBits would confirm the technical details. They fitted mine as I don't do dirt under the fingernails though I did unblock the front bulkhead drainage tube today...…..