Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 19 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

I think it is also a belt an braces approach, having the throttle stick open due to a single spring failure could be quite nasty.

My sentiments entirely.

You have stated exactly my opinion on the return spring unless of course a twin throttle cable set up is fitted which have the springs built in.

• Gold FFM

I recon the comment proves the point Dave, get her out on the dry and give her a good bloody blast, it will do her the world of good. I once had a Toyota high lux petrol which hag done 42k miles before i bought her and never been out of Aberdeen city. I had to take her Manchester, by the time I got to Dundee some 90 odd miles I was ready to turn round and go home, by the time I reached Glasgow I could get up a small hill without having to change down. With the foot planted firmly on the floor and continually filling the fuel tank I reached Manchester with a motor that was now singing, burned off all the carbon, blew the shit out of the system and probably extended her life for a couple of years. If she had stayed as she was she would probably been scraped as having a duff engine.

Carpets, carpets, and more carpets! Had to wait for some adhesive to arrive which took an age to appear, anyway it came this morning and I was able to continue with my carpets install. Don't expect to see the whokr thing done in one post, no, no, I will be taking my time and going one piece at a time. So I've tackeled probably the most difficult piece this morning, the door surround. I'd had already cut a template and cut the real carpet, I wanted to do this piece in one hit rather than the hundreds of flappy bits that the previous owner had attempted. So slowly I press this piece into place and apply adhesive. I have to say the glue I found is excellent, once down it practically bonds to the grp, to remove it you'd literally rip it to shreds trying. Anyway have a look at the photos, seems to have gone down well.

20150110_092742_zps6edsyovg.jpg

20150110_094144_zpshkrlxn3w.jpg

20150110_094613_zps2vn8ck5x.jpg

20150110_094643_zpsj0bg59wx.jpg

20150110_094804_zpsq153ofre.jpg

This is going to be a slowish process, I'll update the thread as and when I have more photos. On a side note, I've made some test attempts at 'brushed' aluminium external trim pieces and I think my tests are a good to go, I'll post a photo later. Cheers, Charlie ;-)

• Like 1

I'm going to have to tackle my carpets at some point. Did you glue the spacers back under the carpet for the seat to mount on? Or are you going to have them above the carpet which probably gives a smoother finish?

• Like 1

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

I've always admired the brushed stainless steel look (delorean comes to mind) and had at the back of my mind that this look would suit the exterior aluminium trim on the Elite. So I had a few extra pieces laying around and thought I'd test the theory and my efforts are encouraging and I think I'm going to see this through. It's not hard to create the effect but takes a lot of elbow grease, trick is to go in straight lines (sand paper) and keep going until you achieve a consistent effect.

20150110_123536_zpsntphzxix.jpg

20150110_140958_zpst7ig7si3.jpg

20150110_141005_zpsubgzd4k6.jpg

Dans' post regarding the spacers being under the carpet, or above, provokes the thought why were they positioned under the carpet originally?

Is it some clearance reason?

As I have the original carpets as a patten, albeit falling apart, I will eventually cut new ones to the original but the spacers puzzle me as they were glued down to the fibreglass.

By the way please tell me the brand of glue for future ref. I was looking in B&Q but their own brand of carpet glue seemed too cheap to be any good.

This is the adhesive I used, honestly this stuff sticks hard, I also did the roof lining with it. It kind of creates a permanent bond, I've tried to pull pieces apart (when I've done it wrong) and it practically ripped the carpets to shreds in the process, it's good stuff!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161193501810?nav=SEARCH

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the glue you used. It is pretty much the same price as the B&Q stuff and free delivery.

Personal recommendation always pays in the long run.

I will get some ordered ready for my retrimming.

Doing a great job on the outside trims. If your not pleased with the Delorien look you can always try the vinyl wrap.

Regards,

20150117_092738_zpsslhfkkzw.jpg

20150111_153515_zpsducn11gv.jpg

20150117_094251_zpsqidnblzp.jpg

20150117_094340_zpszirn6bcs.jpg

20150117_094704_zpspac9frye.jpg

20150117_095014_zpsknn8nvgt.jpg

20150117_094845_zpswbvodf2b.jpg

20150117_094821_zpsab1iqu2j.jpg

20150117_095045_zpshgcv0z7z.jpg

20150117_095058_zpssnmtfojy.jpg

20150117_095131_zpsqw9p6jyt.jpg

20150117_095444_zpsunym7lfv.jpg

20150117_095317_zpsobxnmgga.jpg

20150117_095258_zpsailgd1jx.jpg

20150117_095501_zpssfwererg.jpg

20150117_095630_zpsedfojwpt.jpg

20150117_095656_zpszlefbitp.jpg

Loads of photos today, practically finished off the carpets this morning and I'm over the moon with how they look, I also trial fitted one front seat, and just how cool does that look?! The car is now so close to my original idea of a red exterior and original cream intetior which I thought would look spot on there's not much more left to do on it other than bolt it all down, I hasten to add the photos above show everything in lose fit mode. Just the rear quarters to recover and the interior is complete. All the best, enjoy the photos, Charlie :-)

• Like 1

A job well done.

The carpet fit is just amazing.your eye for detail is brilliant.

I am sure you are proud of your achievement.

When you actually mount the seats. Where are you placing the thick washers, under the carpet as original or on top?

What if anything would be the difference?

I would be interested to know.

• Like 1

Well as was convinced they should go on top but you can see why lotus put them under the carpets, they are hidden. If you go above the carpet they stick out a touch and look crap. So mine have gone underneath and are staying there. Regarding the fit, it's all about templates and trial fitting, you guys tend to only see my finish job, but believe me I've made mistakes and have done one or two piece twice. To my big surprise the piece around the steering column was a one hit fit, got lucky with that piece cos' that is by far the most tricky piece to cut and fit.

Haha, this is far from finished, love this car and I'm not going to give it up easy. I've always had a 3 phase plan for this elite, I'm at phase 1 really, get it straight, lowered and presentable. Phase 2 - maybe a respray. Phase 3 - V8 power. All depends on time and money, for now phase 1 is more than sufficient. All the best Charlie :-)

Haha, this is far from finished, love this car and I'm not going to give it up easy. I've always had a 3 phase plan for this elite, I'm at phase 1 really, get it straight, lowered and presentable. Phase 2 - maybe a respray. Phase 3 - V8 power. All depends on time and money, for now phase 1 is more than sufficient. All the best Charlie :-)

I spent 10 years in Japan and am much more of a turbo guy.  RB26 swap and a big T88 turbo (or 4G63 and Holset HX-40 turbo, as was my preference) in there will raise some eyebrows ;)

Looking great, by the way :)

You mentioned early in the thread you knew quite a few cleaning tricks.  Fancy sharing any of them?  You've got the interior, and especially the steering wheel, popping.

Edited by soldave

@soldave, in all honesty the photos make them look better than they really are but my techniques are simple, I use well worn brillo pads to lightly remove the very top dirt with a touch of fairly liquid, loads of water don't let it go dry. Once all the grime is away I then use white spirit on any stubborn dirt marks, this doesn't always work but white spirit is excellent for removing oil based scuffs. Thats it, just old fashioned elbow grease. Regarding the leather steering I used the same technique for cleaning it but used leather soap and leather food to bring it back to life. I also recoloured it with black shoe die after cleaning it then applied the food on top. 

@soldave, in all honesty the photos make them look better than they really are but my techniques are simple, I use well worn brillo pads to lightly remove the very top dirt with a touch of fairly liquid, loads of water don't let it go dry. Once all the grime is away I then use white spirit on any stubborn dirt marks, this doesn't always work but white spirit is excellent for removing oil based scuffs. Thats it, just old fashioned elbow grease. Regarding the leather steering I used the same technique for cleaning it but used leather soap and leather food to bring it back to life. I also recoloured it with black shoe die after cleaning it then applied the food on top. 

I had success on the steering wheel with black leather balm. Purchased from a local shoe repairers for £6.00.in a glass jar.

My steering wheel leather was dry and had multiple cracks in the surface. I thought it had had it really but after three treatments over a couple of days the result was amazing. A supple jet black steering wheel revived beyond all expectations.