Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 23 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

The car has sat under a cover since I bought it late last year, usual story of too many projects etc...

Things are on the move now though, I'm picking up an Excel chassis this weekend...

Now that sounds like it will need its own thread!

• Like 1

Felt like summer today, 16 degrees! Went out in the panther, what a car, dare I say it but I think I just out gunned a lambo! Anyway great fun, can actually start using it now, can't wait for the summer to kick in and hit the shows!

• Like 1

Just in the process of freshening up my wing mirrors, and just how easy do they come off, so simple just two screws. It's tempting to strip them back to a polished finish but I've decided to keep them satin black.

20150308_100138_zps9y0ckxlp.jpg

20150308_100151_zps8618eajk.jpg

20150308_100203_zpshjhq29og.jpg

On the subject of the door mirrors I found that the original Raydot brand seem to be made of some potmetal possibly zinc based and do not look good polished up. (I did try)

They really do look perfectly good in satin black as per original.

However, whilst trawling the internet I came across a photo of a red Elite with the same style mirrors in chrome and wow they looked the dogs you know whats.

Having searched the internet I have not found anyone selling the chrome version new or used.

Any one have a source of supply or any info of what other cars used this mirror?

I do not want to replace with something aftermarket and lose authenticity.

Turned out beautifully, no problems with the packing tape, I used electrical tape where the paper went over onto the body. I backed ou the the chrome mirrors as the the mirror plate housing is constructed of plastic so I wouldn't have been able to match the polished stem to the body, so black is back. Have to say though I would love chrome mirrors and like you I've seen them on other Elites and Eclats so they must be available somewhere? Would be nice...

65824da0ecb3d78a7.jpg

Edited by CharlieCroker

Glad to hear that the door tops turned out ok.

Regarding the mirrors. Maybe someone out there in Lotusland knows of a source of supply for the chrome version.

I would like a pair. 1970's is all chrome, chrome, chrome. On a sunny day it looks so impressive.

(At some stage could you pm me on how to post pictures? I am not sure how it is done.)

Today I am off to track down some parts in Manchester after sorting out a builder who does not listen. (It's a long story)

A lazy day out for a change.

Bloody hell, I think I've found a manufacturer http://www.kingmirror.com.tw/catalog?start=1

Can't vouch for quality but it looks very similar. 

In catalog P2 item number KL-IZ252

Edited by CharlieCroker

Bloody hell, I think I've found a manufacturer http://www.kingmirror.com.tw/catalog?start=1

Can't vouch for quality but it looks very similar. 

In catalog P2 item number KL-IZ252

Brilliant. This looks the right shape but in grey or black, one assumes painted.

Further into the catalogue item PG 377 looks a closer match in polished metal.

This is listed as Peugeot 504/604. Raydot is or was I believe is a French company. Peugeot 504/604 were very popular 70's cars so we have the possibility of a perfect match.

The down side is 50 piece minimum order and no prices quoted.

Certainly worth following up.

Would 25 members be willing to get together for an order if the price iis right?

The price would be dependant on the unit price, shipping, import duties and vat. Then of course shipping individual items within UK.

I am in. In fact I would not mind organising it.

• Like 1

Follow up on the door mirrors.

These look to me a perfect match for the Elite and are listed on fleabay:

(No Financial interest)

Pair of new chrome mirrors for Peugeot 504 (retroviseurs)

Seller: datoporo

Item number 111612464388

64€ inc delivery (about £45).

There are a couple of slightly cheaper versions by the same seller.

One set has a smaller head, another set are black with the smaller head. (Around £35-40 with delivery)

In my view the item number I am quoting above look like good value and with the larger head better for todays busy roads.

Best of all the larger head has more chrome.

I couldn't resist I have ordered a pair. I will report back later.

They look lile a great match, did you find out the distance between the two screws? The elite has two threaded bobbins moulded into the door, they don't look like they could easily be relocated should the mirror not align correctly with them?

The distance between screw centres is quoted at 65.5mm.

An update:

The original Raydot mirrors on my car have 100mm centres on the screw holes. When removed a further hole was revealed giving 75mm hole centres. By drilling a further hole it would give the required 65.5mm that the replacement mirror requires.

Now this is OK for me as I am intending to respray the car anyway.

Until the replacements arrive I do not know if the base of the mirrors will cover the redundant holes.

As for bobbins inside the door for the mounting I think this must be a later addition as I have no evidence of this on my doors. Bearing mind my car is about 4 years older than Charlies. I would think that someone maybe, along the way, decided that mounting mirrors with two screws into just the fibreglass was insufficient.

I had a feeling there would be a bit of fabrication involved. On to another puzzling Lotus enigma, the headlights are sealed units, so to replace a bulb the whole headlight has to be replaced, please tell me there is an easier way?!

20150315_114647_zps78b6guhi.jpg

20150315_114701_zpsbi6jjzeo.jpg

20150315_114726_zpsbynn5bpv.jpg

You can get some nice H4 replacements, standard size. Cheap and much brighter, easy fit. Can't believe they used sealed beams then, halogen were around then, but there you go.

Clive

• Like 1

I agree with Clive. A H4 convertion kit is the only answer for todays' motoring. Then only the bulb replacement is required at a later date.

Fitting brighter 100W bulbs, although technically illegal, is a good move. As are the latest blue HID pretend type bulbs.

I suspect your "bobbins" have fallen off. On my first eclat ( a 76) there were nuts bonded onto the inside of the door' but when I came to change the mirror, they fell off inside the door. It is possible to reach inside to hold a nut when the door card is off, but it is a bee-ach of a job....

• Like 1

Agree with replacing the sealed beam units with conventional H4 units with a replaceable bulb. I did this on my dolomite sprint and the difference was eh... Night and day! ;-)

I was told the original fit cibies are no longer available (iode) but have a scan through "the other site" and you will see some alternatives.

Be careful with the mountings though, as they are not all the same.

• Like 1

You may need to take care with fitting 100W bulbs. I've heard (but don't have first hand knowledge) of wiring overheating.

Newer technology H4 bulbs of the same wattage as you have now may be a good solution.

• Like 2

I fitted 100w bulbs to my first excel. It promptly burned out the dash light switch as the headlight circuit is not relayed. I duly added a relay. I also raised the lights to wash the headlights and due to the high heat the cold water promptly cracked the glass,

Now i fit the super brilliant 55w bulbs - same effect but no problems with me being a bit thick and not thinking 

• Like 2

After reading this firsthand experience I would suggest that 100w bulbs may not be a good idea afterall.

Technology has in deed moved on with the latest type of super white standard wattage bulbs being just as bright if not brighter.

I suspect your "bobbins" have fallen off. On my first eclat ( a 76) there were nuts bonded onto the inside of the door' but when I came to change the mirror, they fell off inside the door. It is possible to reach inside to hold a nut when the door card is off, but it is a bee-ach of a job....

I will certainly investigate further regarding the bobbins.