Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 31 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Nice work with the motors gives you a sense of achievement when they work.

One thing I did extra on mine is fit a second switch which gives me the ability to lift the pods without turning the lights on now that gave me alot of head scratching but I got there in the end. So if anyone every wants this option let us know and il do a diagram of how I did this.

yes please could be handy

I'm loving that - super flappy and up and downy.......

The way it's going with mine - I'm only going out in daylight hours....... And then skulking her home when it's dark, sneaking into the garage and twisting the one side down by hand!!!

Going to strip the motor out again this weekend and get a build kit - just so I can tick that off

Rob - we both got a set off fleabay think they were about £15 the pair......

so what`s wrong with using Jakub? was the extra ballast too much?

You shouldn't have to pay more than £20 for a pair, I got mine 2 for £15 delivered. I can't find the listing now but these look good also.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151706761719&alt=web

I forgot to mention, the last two popups in the video are off the 'flash' from the stalk, so all that is working correctly now. Before that never ever worked when I had the vacuum system. So worth all tge grazed knuckles and ffing and blinding...

thanks for the link just brought them! wont be able to sleep tonight knowing I paid £7 more than you guys..............

• Gold FFM

Hmmm

£7 - that's a whole bottle of cava and a big bag of salt and vinegar kettle chips......

You've lost out here - try and sleep easy....... A lotus lift motor seems to vary from£50-£150

• Like 1

Only here once

That doesn't look too bad at all Dan, proper race ready. Do you need to lift the motors without the lights on? To adjust mine I simply turn the lights on (pod lifts) then I turn the ignition off, switch the light switch off but leaving the pods up. That way I did all the fine up/down adjustment of the pod by removing the light and going through the hole in the pod. I have to say I spent a good two evenings on the fine adjustment, but when they finally sit flat (down) and flush (up) it is a moment of sheer happiness and joy.

Edited by CharlieCroker

No, no lift motors at all, the lights work through the Perspex covers, it has gone through MOT s like this in the past, the square headlamp units are fixed and the covers screwed in place, suits my needs, just add lightness!

Regards

• Gold FFM

Jakubs lost out I'm afraid.... I really think I may have fixed them. Wish him all the best and tell him not to hide on aircraft landing gear

Only here once

yes please could be handy

so what`s wrong with using Jakub? was the extra ballast too much?

ok heres a diagram of the relay setup for using the mx5 lift motors.

the single relay setup is just to work motors with lights and the 2 relay setup is to allow a seperate switch to lift the lights without turning them on.

Heres how you can test the motors before fitting to check they are working.

Yellow = Down 
Red = Up 
White/Red = Permanent live 
Black = Earth 
Green = You do not need this one 

The red and yellow you can use as up or down its up to you,
wire the black to the battery earth and the White/red to the live on a battery,
then touch the yellow wire to the battery live and the motor will turn half a turn.
Take the yellow off of the live and touch the red wire and the motor will turn
the other half a turn.

post-19715-0-94787600-1434834460.jpg
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

It's a universal spare wire.... Only used on mx5s!!'

It goes via the middle bit and does something you won't need it though - I think it feeds back to the mx5 light Ecu pod controller doober......

Just ignore it!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

It does exciting secret and magical things....... I could tell you.......

I do however recall it being a special secret

Only here once

Here's the MX5 wiring diagram:

2011-08-25_054345_relay.gif

I am in no way an electrician. Releasing the magic smoke is more my style, but would the green wire, going to the dashboard module light a warning lamp if the motor was overloaded?

• Gold FFM

Tried on mine - you need to drill out two extra mounting holes - and you only use gnd of the motor and cut into the one motor wire.

It works the same as the esprit pods

Only here once

Quick update, just finished a prefit of my new airbags and all seems good, nothing catching anywhere, I'm hoping to get these permanently installed in the next week or two. As soon as the fronts are done I'll be turning my attention to the rears and air management system. All the best, Charlie ;-)[br][br]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

All your efforts had to pay off Charlie, regardless of the doubters, well done. Send me the link if you have it.

• Like 1

Cheers lads, it's also soon to be featured in Retro Cars magazine in the coming months, the editor has arranged for one of their top photographers Chris Frosin to take the set on the 22 of this month, so keep your eye out. I'm not 100% sure yet but I hear on the grape vine they are doing a November special edition featuring all Of the great British makes the panther has been ear marked for this edition, possibly. Link to wheeler dealers here https://m.facebook.com/MrWheelerDealer?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMrWheelerDealer