Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 33 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Ok do Wednesday evening I had the photo shoot for RetroCars magazine and we got lucky in location and weather. We found an amazing spot in a corn field with stunning back drop and the skyline was michael angelo esc, and the few photos I saw looked amazing. The only draw back is the magazine are slow to publish features so it could be anything fron 3-9 months before it is out!

Anyway, on the night however I experienced that strange starting problem which has plagued me recently so yesterday I started my diagnosis. It goes like this so if anyone has any ideas please contribute, help will be more thsn welcome.

I'm pretty sure something somewhere is creating a intermittent drain on the battery, I say intermittent because the fault is not always present. With the car stationary and ignition on butvengine off the battery reads 12.4v but the dash volt gauge reads 11.5v

20150725_082628_zpsj1cjxwbd.jpg

However I have a second volt gauge and wired that directly off the battery on pos/neg with the same condition as above, ignition on engine off and that reads 12.4v?

20150725_082611_zpswafqy7t9.jpg

Now I turn the engine on and the dash gauge reads 11.6v?

20150725_082628_zpsj1cjxwbd.jpg

Now turn off ignition and engine completely and tge battery will clime and read 12.4v?

20150725_082830_zpshgjhkguk.jpg

So at the moment I am a little confused ad to what is causing these strange readings. So what do we reckon, drain somewhere?

Edited by CharlieCroker

• Gold FFM

When you turn on the ignition but not start - does it not energise the coil for the dizzy??? And on these there is often a shunt resistor??

Just a thought - might be wrong

• Like 1

Only here once

Yeah, I already did the gauge swap at the dash and even when you do them vice versa the dash gauge will read a lower voltage and the direct battery will read higher. Seriously perplexing, been scratching my bonce all morning. Just taken it out for a run and the dash gauge will sit on the line between 11 and 12, so at 11.5 when out on the road. It's bizzare cos' if I take a reading on the battery now, it climes to 12.4 right and sometimes as high as 13.4?!

• Gold FFM

It really depends on where that meter is measuring its voltage

I really would think the dizzy setup on the ignition will be affecting this.

As long as she starts - no worries

• Like 1

Only here once

It will be a poor connection somewhere between the dash gauge and the battery +ve or earth causing a voltage drop. I have a similar although not quite as large discrepancy on my esprit and suspect an earthing point.

• Like 1

Glad the shoot went well! who picked the location you are Chris? been looking for a location for my shoot but don't know of any?

I would forget the gauges and take readings just direct from the battery. What's it at when ignition off? and when engine running? if its not at least 13.4v when the engines running above idle then you have a problem most likely the alternator not charging? 11.6v with engine on is too low and will not charge the battery (flat or dud battery will always cause engine starting problems) charge your battery and check its good? how old is it? can you swap it for a known good one just for testing? if your not getting between 13.4v and 13.8v when engines running (revving then I would say the alternator is dud.

Regarding the shoot, the location was just pot luck, drove around for a bit and came across a corn field, but we were lucky with the light on the day, rays of sun shooting through the clouds, stunning evening.

Ok so, I must have a bad earth or something, cos' the battery is new and so is the alternator new. I took a reading at the battery first thing this morning and it reads 12.4v with engine off. I switch ignition on, but engine off and it goes to 11.9v? Has to be dodgy earths right? With the engine on it fluctuates around the 12v mark.

Edited by CharlieCroker

• Gold FFM

It depends where on the loom the meter in the dash is reading - it won't be directly across the battery - and it's in the ignition wiring somewhere. You may well see what you are seeing due to the nature of the setup

Only here once

On my esprit the voltmeter looks at the voltage at a common feed at the fusebox which is shared by brake lights, dash instruments and wipers. The feed to that point is probably a couple of metres of 30+ yr old wire and push fit connectors which are all likely to be past their best. I plan on finding and cleaning them at some point! Even something as simple as a grubby fuse box would add to the discrepancy.

Just been asked to supply my copy for the feature in Retro Cars magazine, 4 pages, 2500 words! It's a bit of a long story but I'm sure they will edit it down by the time the magazine comes out. I think, if they edit down too far I might release a 'Directors cut' on the forum, well worth a read if I say so myself!

Edited by CharlieCroker
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Hi Charlie, we are doing brands as previously mentioned and now staying a couple of extra days as Mrs W has decided we are going to take in a show while down in the smokey area so now not traveling back untill the Wednesday I think. Not sure exactly which hotels, I will just get the bill. So maybe stop on the way back up. Now means the Yellowperil will be floating about Englandshire for about 5 days in all so anyone see her give us a flash and you could get a one eyed wink in return, only one headlight goes back down via the switch ??. We may even turn up at Ace Cafe on the Monday night just for a looksee although its not a Lotus night.

So far.

Friday morning depart NE Scotland.

Overnight about an hour from Brands.

Saturday, Brands and again overnight.

Sunday Brands.

Sunday evening head for the smokey and overnight.

Monday tour about and see what we can see.

Monday night, overnight in Cateram.

Tuesday car to stay in Cateram and we are into the smokey for a show at the Dominion and an overnight.

Wednesday back to Cateram and collect the Yellowperil and head back to gods country.

A lot of miles are going to be wracked up, probably more in the 5 days than she has done in the last twenty + years, according to her history and documents.

Brave, stupid or just plain daft.

If you're around these parts on the 23rd August you could always make your way over to Shelsley Walsh for the retro rides gathering, loads of makes and models on show and they have the hill clime which is well worth a watch.

• Gold FFM

Sorry Charlie, cany stay down that long as I have to be back up in the Highlands for the Sunday. Looks like we may be staying one extra night in Cateram though and going to Lotus gathering  which I hear is on Wednesday night at Ace Caf'e. Bibs is still owe me a pint from our last visit.

• Like 1

My relentless quest for perfection continues. Who remembers my doorcard fiasco? Well I've managed to source a pair of original wood effect with chrome surround inserts (thanks mike) and have started to manufacture a way of fitting this to a custom made panel I've knocked up. All is looking good, I'm gunna use the same soft canvas material I used for the headlining to tie things up nicely. Here's my prefit photos, I'll post some completed images once installed. Getting ready for RRG!

20150802_140347_zpshroh7pj8.jpg

20150802_140357_zpseys4vj06.jpg

20150802_140410_zpsaa3zwyr2.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that's gonna be awesome! I've been reading this topic from post 1... you've done a fantastic job and has inspired me to get off my ass, or should I say bum, and get crackin on my 77 503. I've even used some of the engine pics as reference to putting mine together. The original engine was torn apart,I picked up a replacement engine and I'm trying to piece all the ancillaries together and almost ready to try and fire her up.

If you don't mind, can I contact you through here for some advice should I need? (Probably will!)

Congratulations on a magnificent job from across the pond! Keep up the great work and the great posts! I'm totally addicted as to what you're going to do next on the Red Panther!

• Like 1

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

Awesome looking car ! Has to be the best retro

Lotus I have seen, the white band tyres and those

Wheels look awesome.

Think both young and old will like this car as

everything keys in nicely, think cars like these

Also help to increase value of what has to be

One of the most under valued lotus,s.

After a car like this been in the public eye, think

Also a few elites in scrap yards will be saved

And pulled as projects !

Keep up the great fantastic work !

• Like 1