Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 36 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Just got back from Lotusbits, well what an aladdins cave he has down there. Man I could have spent the whole day in there talking lotus and going through the parts, awesome. Anyway after a tour around the place we get down to the nitty gritty of the parts I need, so out came two recon drive shafts with new ujs (not cheap but job done) as well as my new ujs for the steering column. But after chatting with the lads there and describing the problem I had with my column in removing it, it was soon obvious that my column was indeed broken at the plastic saftey bracket, basically that breaks in the event oa crash so that you don't get speared by the column. Luckily enough it just so happened they were breaking an S1 elite while I was there so I had the column out of that with perfectly good ujs already installed. Few other bits and away we go, busy weekend ahead to get this little lot installed.

20150909_135905_zpsx4uuhhxh.jpg

20150909_135913_zpsf0feawfk.jpg

20150909_135921_zpsqiei7b8b.jpg

20150909_135951_zpshfrkqd29.jpg

Hoping to get all this done before the 28th of this month as Fast Cars magazine have asked to do a feature on the car.

"Charlie, shall we synchronise our watches?" ;-)

I have been around to lotusbits a couple of times and you never know what you might find. I got a fairly decent interior which I was not expecting to buy - but since it was there and i needed it a some point I took the plunge.

• Like 1

Charlie,

Glad you got the bits you needed mate, its a good place at lotus always very friendly and you even get a brew made for you most of the time if the lads are not grafting ;)  as Mike said above you can go in that place and come out with plenty of extra stuff, Like you said Charlie I could spend the day at that place too just mooching about the place for bits and bobs.

Glad the panthers will soon be getting new bits and congrats on another mag feature also mate ;)

A

Cheers lads, just been down in the garage for another sesson. Got the steering column out, you can do this by pulling it through the dash panel but only after removing the little cover panel around the ignition switch. With that out of the way and two small 13mm bolts at the base of the column, 3 x 16mm bolts under the dash and disconnecting the ignition wiring the thing comes out fairly easily. I then discovered that the two bolts holding the steering lock had sheered off or where never there? Had to drill those to make a screw flat head and they came off, phew. Need to put it all back together now.

20150909_154503_zpsl56sjhou.jpg

20150909_154718_zpsvtkntvyr.jpg

Edited by CharlieCroker

Steering lock bolts are shear bolts and are designed for the heads to come off at a specific torque. It's a security thing.

:)

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Steering lock bolts are shear bolts and are designed for the heads to come off at a specific torque. It's a security thing.

:)

you can just saw a slot in them with a hacksaw and then use a screwdriver? or use a centre punch at the edge to loosen them off? done it a few times! even had one with the bolt shear heads still intact!

• Like 1

Yeah, I slotted them. Just finished the install, no major stress or battles, biggest headache is getting it all aligned properly however I had marked everything with tipex and it's all gone back together in what appears to be the same position as before.

20150910_160314_zpsxgsrbglz.jpg

20150910_152736_zpsclb7ijqc.jpg

Not the most glorious of photos I've ever posted but that's practically a complete new steering column installed and from the quick test I did in the car, it feels silky smooth, no play at all. So, onto the drive shafts, before I install them I'm going to give them a quick coat of stonechip, keep it all black on the underside.

• Gold FFM

Looks great - think I may have a bit of play in my uj at that point as well. You can rock the wheel slightly - so i reckon that's a jog to do on my list.

• Like 1

Only here once

Quick update, got my new drive shafts in, again no real problems, took the chance to grease them before installation (alot easier this way) and they all went back in without any stress, and they seems to be spinning nice and freely, should be back on the road shortly. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I've posted, you lot must be getting withdrawal symptoms?! After a couple of weekends installing my new ujs, steering column and making some front end improvements to my air ride, this afternoon a test drive was in order. No noises or clanking or anything adverse to report so it seems like all my latest running issues are solved for now. The steering is a massive improvement to the driving experience, it's tight and precise now and I highly suggest anyone with play in the uj, get them changed, makes a huge difference. This car is really starting to come together now and is as much go as show. Next on my list is repeating the changes I've made to the front air ride to the rear, without going into to much detail, it's a case of making strategic strenthening weak areas of contact where necessary. Here's a photo of it slammed in the garage, the panther panting after a short fast run. 

20150926_150350_zpsajoycwpz.jpg

• Like 1

Well I've had this idea brewing for the last 6 months, it goes a little like this...

Take one of these...

14181106370_256fbcf4ed_c_zps0suffy90.jpe

Shoehorn this into it...

63805717-1_zpsg2gxvpkq.jpg

Add this llittle lot...

ChargerMagnum_zpstdao9ram.jpeg

These rims...

06f6d68f7b26bbcd366605ba3c54f18e_zpsqaw8

Lamborghini seats...

33CountachOTD-1_zpsq7mljk6s.jpg

And then drop this over the whole lot...

post-10050-0-42518900-1303238130_thumb_z

If anyone wants to sponsor me to build it, pm me, I'm all ears. Charlie ;-)

Edited by CharlieCroker
  • Like 2

Great idea!

I had the same sort of idea a few years ago but it just didnt quite come together.

I acquired a Maserati V6 twin turbo with 6 speed gearbox, this sat in the garage while i looked for an Elite but finances ran short and by the time i found a car i had sold the engine.

So i restored the Elite and tried again by buying the very gold Eclat that you have pictured but couldnt find a suitable engine, so eventually gave up and sold the gold body shell for £50 in January.

One day it will all come together.....:)

• Like 2

Fifty quid! Bloody hell someone had a bargain. Honestly though, I would love to build an early Eclat, maserati V8, airride, with those Alfa rims and the Lambo seats it would certainly be a head turner, but I don't think you'd have much change out of 20k, those seats alone would be about a bag of sand each and some, if you could find a pair.  I either need to win the lottery or have a rich oil magnet fund it. Oh well, nice idea though. ..

• 3 weeks later...

MOT Monday, always a nervy time, altough it is currently behaving as well as ever, lights all working, indicators, stop lights ect ect. But you just know what's gunna happen, as soon as you turn into the station everything is gunna go awol! Ultimate Stance on the 1st November in Telford if anyone is interested. The Panther will be present as well as the silver airride esprit and a little secret will be on view for the very first time, I've not even seen it yet myself but there is a 'second' slammed elite about to hit the show scene, can't wait to see it in the flesh, I'm told it was a great barn find, and I have seen a pre slam photo and it looks like a very honest car, I've been informed that it is number 67 out of the factory. I know you guys are not into lowered cars and all that but I would highly recommend the show, all under roof and 5 halls of custom cars ranging from 5k builds to 200k builds, food, music and very clean and accessible toilets, oh and girls on rollerskates, well worth a vistit and two slammed elites, what's not to like! 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Hope the mot goes well Luke. Had my little spitfire in for its mot today - was expecting a big list of issues - only ended up with two minor niggles - happy bunny. So it can be good - I'm just hoping for the same at esprit mot time!!!

show sounds great - maybe I shall get a pass out with my lad

• Like 1

Only here once

I know you guys are not into lowered cars...

Not strictly true. I would love to see some pics of another lowered Elite. Can;t make it myself to the show so please psot photo's.

I'm stalking Rob's thread on retro rides of his lowered scimitar...

BTW charlie croker gets more italian looking on retro rides... 

• Like 1

I may have a sneaky preview photo in the next week, but I can say this, he's been mocking it up for the show in the last month to display along side a series of slammed cars he's built (he's a pro builder) and saw my elite last year at the show, said it was his "car of the show" and that he wanted an elite to build his own, within a month he had bought one. He then had trouble with getting it started and lost a little bit of faith so put it to one side while he built other customer cars. He's now been in communication with me and he's bringing to the show, I quote "it will be there". He has extreme plans for it, even lower than mine, talking about doing a full body drop, and he has the equipment and know how to pull it off, so look away now those of you that think mine is modified too extreme. Me personally I can't wait to see it, and I hope the 2 cars help increase the popularity and bring them to a new younger generation...

You know on RR's he speaks Italian too from time to time... Ci sentiamo, alla prossima, Charlie ;-)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Now u have our interest, well mine anyway, you have to post some pics. I hve seen a video clip of the Esprit and it also looks stunning.

Edited by johnpwalsh
  • Like 1

Cheers Barry, such a nervy hour though, isn't it but you're right I've given it every chance to pass, there's nothing really they can fail it on. Honestly, the garage I use really put it through its paces, and if they find anything unsafe they let me know, they're great lads though, real petrolheads and they have a ford race team and just love it when I pull the elite in, for them it's something a bit different so they enjoy the process. To my surprise even the headlights were aligned perfectly,  and considering I did them yesterday evening using the garage wall as my giude, and after all the shenanigans with the mx5 conversion I was feeling quite smug. So, all go for another year or at least until the next  problem raises it's ugly head. I do have to say, and you know I don't like to blow my own trumpet but it looked bloody cool under the lights and even better on the road when he took it out to test the brakes (on the street) it's too low to get on the rolling road!