Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 39 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

A few access holes to make your life easier helps. But no, you'll have to get the shafts out to remove the brake drum to get into the wheel cylinder, they're not that difficult to remove, I've had my shafts out and back in in under an hour. However if your car has been sitting for a while you might have a fight on your hands. 

Thanks Charlie I have had both shafts and hubs off recently to do bearings .I have been told that the wheel cylinders cannot be replaced without dropping the diff out ,is this correct

A Burgess

I've,  not had to replace my cylinders so can't advise you any further,  I'm sure the lads in the technical section will be able to help you out better than I can, post your issues in there and someone will be along to help you out, do you have a workshop manual, always first port of call? It wouldn't surprise me if the diff had to come out, it's a lotus, they like to keep the owners on their toes! Good luck, Charlie ;-) 

Alec,

I have just replaced one of the rear cylinders for the mot.

I did it without dropping the diff but it was an absolute nightmare!

I was going to change both but gave up after doing the one, so it is possible if you cut access hatches inside, not easy though.

I will be dropping the diff if i need to do it again!

• Like 2

I must admit that i did drop my diff assy and replaced both cylinders etc and made sure all were well greased to last. But must admit might make access holes next time. Now an OLP so do struggle in the winter. And i need too take the engine out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I knew the lotus fraternity would get this in one. Other forums might struggle with it. Yeah, spot on, they're my new air paddle valve switches, almost a direct fit into the dash so they can go there without major disruption to the giugiaro dash. There's two pressure dials I need to add but they can go under the dash or in the glove box. I've had a very busy few days on it, added my tank and hard lines and have started my fabrication of the new improved rear airbags. All coming together nicely,  still lots to do and getting your head around all the different imperial pneumatic fittings is a proper headmash! 

IMG_20151223_170530_zpsukckjymz.jpg

IMG_20151218_162655_zpsgfayky0c.jpg

2015-12-23%2018.27.07_zpslvf2wk58.png

• Like 1

Anyone know where I can get custom made water slide transfers made up? I've got my center consol out and even though I could use the original panel to mount my switches and gauges I think I would prefer to get a custom one made so that the fit is better rather than trying to make (hash) the original work. I'd just need to replicate the text on each knob and add a few custom labels for my new switches.

8 hours ago, CharlieCroker said:

Anyone know where I can get custom made water slide transfers made up? I've got my center consol out and even though I could use the original panel to mount my switches and gauges I think I would prefer to get a custom one made so that the fit is better rather than trying to make (hash) the original work. I'd just need to replicate the text on each knob and add a few custom labels for my new switches.

I would be interested to know if you find out Charlie... It must be a heater that has a contemporary main stream relation that the panel can be robbed from. Toyota hiluxis the closest I can find and I've been through most of the BL Vauxhall and ford interiors of the day with no luck.

What do you mean, I'm not with you? Here's my center switch panel but I don't really want to faff with it to try and accommodate my new gauges.

20151226_122046_zpsbgjrnpes.jpg

I think I'd rather get a panel laser cut and add either real wood veneer or wood effect to it, then simply add new text to each switch in the correct font. What I was hoping for is advice on companies that make water slide decals im white text? I'm still not sure how best to deal with this, may well still have to use the original panel.

On 29/04/2015 at 18:48, CharlieCroker said:

Right, pod in and pull rod in place for the first test. Got the thing to popup BUT it won't bloody stop! Just keeps going up and down. How do I wire it so that it comes up once and closes once on dash board switch?

20150429_183154_zpsxiiohfkq.jpg

20150429_183142_zps2nbbzort.jpg

Charlie... Was this the final mechanical arrangement of your lift motor conversation? I'm now doing mine and can't see how the up/down movement of the motor twists the bar? 

No Mike, I ended up using the same approach as blackeclat had suggested, using threaded barvand small ball joints either end, this gives you very fine adjustment which you will need to align the pods. 

20150517_131332_zpslq6esxnm.jpg

20150517_131340_zpsqgyx9ua5.jpg

Cheers Barry, I'd love to print my own, problem is they need to be white, which a home  printer can't do. There's a couple of local printers to me and I'm going to see if tgey can help. Ivev drawn out the new panel which I will get laset cut, then veneer and add the decals, only way to get a proper result. 

20160102_092546_zpseyl6zefe.jpg

I've moved a few switches to accommodate the air pressure dials but all in all it should look factory by the time it is complete. Plus doing it this way means I keep intact the original panel should I ever need to replace it. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ahh yes printing White is an issue - maybe a commercial printer could print it onto that stuff though ??

thats going to look great once done - and highly satisfying to look at :thumbsup:

Only here once

My dad used to use this stuff before printers...

http://www.letraset.com/products/99-Helvetica-Med-Cond/

Handy text in white. Then the heater transfers would work. I might get some of that stuff for my metal dash.

I had my metal dash panel engraved and inlayed by timpsons at my local tesco's. Might be worth talking to them to see what substrates they can manage before committing yourself

Have you figured out the angle of the bend where the radio fits yet?

Yes, letraset is a final option but I'd prefer to get an A4 sheet made up in the exact labels I need, incase of application fail! There's actually two bends, one at the radio and a slight bend just above the heater knobs. I'll make those bends myself, I'll get the panel cut and supplied flat, adhere the veneer and make the bends myself, the veneer should hold out with a bit of steam applied. By the time the aluminium surround is fitted, it will look as if the factory supplied it. 

Fwiw, eurostile bold extended is as close to the original font as you'll likely to get. 

Edited by CharlieCroker

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that, good timing too as my new dash panel is about to arrive and I'll be looking into getting the labels done . In the mean time I've contacted a few vinyl cut suppliers and altough they can do the job it's expensive for a sheet of A4 and the lettering is quite thick in respect too a decal. 

• Like 1