Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Newbie here! Hello. - Page 3 - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Newbie here! Hello.

petrolveins

• Gold FFM

Congratulations Tom, look forward to seeing the pics.  The next Newlands Corner meeting will be Sunday 16 March 9.00-10.30ish if you want to come and show it off to the rest of us :)

Welcome and congrats Tom, very cool your in a Lotus at your age! I still had a Fiesta!!

TOM E... I'm skiing this NC 16 March meet.. It's just not meant to be :-( Will be at the big one next month ;-)

Thanks guys, unfortunately day 3 of Lotus ownership has not gone well at all. After 2 breakdowns the third one concluded with a tow truck. As if that wasn't bad enough I now have a nice hole in the lower edge of the front clamshell courtesy of the tow company. Not going into details here, but I have filed a complaint, the driver asked me to roll it off the truck as he said he wouldn't be able to climb into the car, then as I rolled it down slowly he didn't bother to mention the angle was too steep, and the front clam met the tarmac. Frankly it was the wrong truck for the car, but I'm dealing with that now. 

As for the actual reason for the tow truck, battery warning light came on today, which of course led to the battery dying 3 times, took 2 jumps and a bit or charging off my mates MX-5 to get it to his house where we tested the voltage, and sure enough once it was running the voltage was slowly dropping. Alternator dead it seems.

Only plus side, though it seems like a negative now, is that I ordered a Larini Club Sport and Hurricane Induction yesterday.

Oh and this morning before this whole escapade and before the battery light came on the Elise was simply stunning hooning across the finest Sussex roads.

Oh and the Surrey meet on the 16th? Same time as the PistonHeads Sunday Service at Silverstone, don't know which to go to know, that is if the car is sorted before that.

Trying not to let this get me down, as it was the most fun ever this morning.

The alternators get very hot being so close to the manifold, you're not the first person to have one fail. Easy replacement and it'll last you a while from there. Did you buy privately or from a garage?

Bad luck with the low loader. I'm no lawyer but they'll have some duty of care so I'd expect them to be writing you a chq to repair that. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Bought the car privately. It happens, just wish it had been picked up on the service.

Monday the tow truck company are going to get back to me, said they'd "sort it" on the phone yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Typical though, stunning Sunday weather and no where to buy an Alternator, and no where to get it fitted, I've neither the know how or tools to do it myself. Anyone know anywhere open on a Sunday?

Also unsure what Alternator to get, Elise-Shop have them, but if I go into a normal car parts place, is it the same as off an MG/Rover car with a 1.8 VVC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just realised I haven't posted any photos yet! Will sort that soon.

In other news the car has about 1,000 miles done in my care now. 

Last week I had a Larini Club Sport and Hurricane Induction fitted, I then did 500 miles this weekend with them. WOW! Sounds just as good as I hoped it would. I've read the exhaust settles down after a 1,000 miles or so, and I hope it does, the bit of motorway I did, it was just too loud at 80mph, I could have slowed down, but opted for the earplugs instead. Sounds insane through tunnels. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

awesome little read going on here, especially finding your old teacher haha!

I'm same age and looking for an elise or exige too, can you let me know how much your insurance cost, if you don't mind that is haha

Cheers

Connor