Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tensioner Bearings - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tensioner Bearings

ramjet

• Gold FFM

Just received an email from Steve Taylor here in Melbourne. Just a general bit of news for people.

Steve purchased some tensioner bearings from SKF and has basically returned the entire batch due to lack of lubrication which was causing them all to squeal.

They were purchased just before Christmas.

I don't know how far and wide SKF bearings go, but just in case you have an issue with one purchased recently.

:)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a new bearing for my 89 Excel in October 2010 from my supplier in UK. Paul Matty. From day one it squealed and on notifying them they said it must have been installed too tight. For the next two years I had to spray it before each drive with WD40.

Two years later, I saw on the lotusexcel website, some guys saying they were having exactly the same problem and that their supplier had confirmed a problem with no lubrication in the sealed bearings and were replacing them. I contacted P.M. and they supplied me with a replacement bearing f.o.c.. Unfortunately, two years of WD40 had knackered the cam belt and it stripped 6 teeth in a row, but that is another story.

Unfortunately I did not keep the old bearing. 

• Gold FFM

I'll see what I can find out Derek

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hey Rem.

i used the word WD40 as the can of stuff over here is called Q20 but no one would have known what I was talking about.

Q20 is both a water displacer as well as a lubricant and is used widely over here for.both spraying in distributor caps for whet weather starting and also for hinges and even protecting printed circuit boards in marine radios.

I did go up on the WD40 web site and they did say it could be used as a lubricant.

• Gold FFM

Got some info back from Steve. Copied below so I don't change what he has said.

This problem is related to just one batch of bearings
I have been able to recall and replace every bearing at significant expense
Its not just the replacement cost but also labour costs associated with changing these over on Esprit's, Excel's etc
This has been a costly exercise and I have no intention of repeating this
My UK bearing supplier has been shy at coming forward with financial compensation for labour costs
As you might guess its not a 5 minute job to replace a tensioner bearing on an Esprit
I am beginning to wonder if these are genuine SKF bearings
Like you I have never experienced ANY problem at ANY time with an SKF bearing during my working life
Its a simple problem where the grease has not flooded the bearing fully
Our investigation showed the grease was pumped in one side and did not flow to the other side to lubricate both lip seals
The noise is generated just from a poorly lubricated lip -seal (very loud)