Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
removing the head and cam towers - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

removing the head and cam towers

You have an immaculate attention for detail, Si, keep it coming (and the spirits up). Much respect for those who restore in the UK climate, that undercarriage looks like it's been resting with the Titanic! :)

Do you have a good bead-blaster and power-coater nearby?

:)

E.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

unfortunately there is no media blaster or competent poder coater near me at all. the one powder coater i did find about 15 miles from me had never heard of a second "wet coat" at all and denies its of use.

all the american hot rod restorers always do a second coat or wet coat as they call it, the first powder goes on, then its pulled out after just 15mins and another coat is applied quickly then its back inthe oven, it gives the coating that perfect glass gloss finish they all love and use.

i have yet to find a uk powder coater that will do it.

my idea of perfection on this car?

all the arms etc are cleaned and chromed, period, lots of nice chrome plated arms, brackets, chrome plated shocks and nicely painted springs. all the bushes in red. paint the engine and gearbox casings in silver, the cam tower covers in textured red, all aluminium pipe work polished up and clean. the cam sprockets in silver or chrome, the starter and alternator polished up and mirror finished. the list goes on really.

heres some examples of what i call nice finishes.

SUPERIDE%20IRS%201.jpg

heiirs4.gif

boyd1.jpg

Edited by bigsi

if i can get to half way of what i want this year then iwill be happy to be able to drive her this summer is my main goal, to finally take it to a meet, thats what makes me keep going, to finally be part of the family.

With the indominateable power of the human spirit you show, I believe you will.

Best Wishes for you and your family.

Looking at the state of those bushes in your excellent photo's, it's a good job you decided to do a restoration when you did, Si. Keep up the posts, you've got quite a following!

Regards,

Mike

every bushing on the car is shot, how it wasnt noticed at the 'c' service or mot is beyond belief, personally i think the mot isnt worth the paper it was written on and as for the 'c'service, i wont go into it but if i were closer the service agent would have more than a piece of my mind.

split and leaking pipes, damaged parts, bolts holding the bellhousing to the engione missing, damaged cables, damaged vacum hoses with botched reapairs, the list goes on really.

i was ready to give in and just get rid of the car the other week but im having good days and bad days, if i give in now then everything i do is for nothing, i need this to keep me occupied and to keep me sane above all things, also i need to get out of the house and back behind my own wheels again and get out to meets under my own steam.

the other thing i want to do is drive it to the lotus factory for the visit they offered me and get pictures of it there. that would be great

i cant believe how big this thread is becoming, i just noticed the amount of hits it has had!! 255 posts in the thread and 5,490 hits.

oh and the limitless support that makes it all worthwhile.

i have had so many messages that have said i have now inspired them to begin working on their own car, this means so much to me.

i still struggle to do the most basic things and luckily i have some neigbours for help when i find things a little hard.

today i havent done a thing, not even any painting (mind you this is due to being sent the wrong caliper paint black not silver!!) i need totake a day off after yesterday.

like i said im looking forward to hopefully driving her in the summer and getting out on weekends to come see a few of you and get to meets.

many thanks as always to you all

simon

Edited by bigsi

update:

well today was nice here so i managed to finally get the calipers and other bits painted.

just a light improvement compared to how they were, they will do for me. for now.

DSCN4933.jpg

DSCN4934.jpg

DSCN4935.jpg

the paint is really claggy and thick and doesnt like re-coating at all it drags it along after forming a skin only after a few seconds. i wish there was a spray i could have used, that would have given me a much better finish all over, but they will ahve to do for now.

update:

the calipers are still tacky in places and it can take 48 hrs for them to dry anyway. so i thought i would check things were ok with fitment anyway.

from this

DSCN4839.jpg

to this

DSCN4937.jpg

DSCN4938.jpg

from this

DSCN4896.jpg

to this

DSCN4942.jpg

DSCN4945.jpg

they look so much better and will clean easier now with this coating on them and will resist corrosion better.

all the pads look fine and re-useable, lots of meat on them, but the retainer clips are so badly corroded they need replacing. the brake hoses need to be changed par the course.

all in all worthwhile doing

the calipers are still tacky in places and it can take 48 hrs for them to dry anyway. so i thought i would check things were ok with fitment anyway.

I totally agree. Si - what was the paint you used on them? Is it a heat resistant paint?

I've got my rear calipers off and I've been cleaning them up with a various wire brushes in a drill. You have the patience of a saint. I can't do that for more than 10 minutes at a time without scuffing my fingers...:D

all in all worthwhile doing

Totally agree. The rears do get some muck thrown at them.

Rich

i used a standard two part caliper paint, its a hardener in one can and the paint in another you pour the expxy into the paint shake it and leave to stand for 15 mins , you then have 4 hours to use it.

i got mine from my local motorworld shop, they do all colours there, it also comes with a special spray aerosol cleaner to do the final degrease and cleaning.

update:

well today i havent done anything with the car, however i have been busy doing some designing and engineering renders.

i really want to change my gear shifter knob for something a little more luxurios and classic looking.

i have fallen in love with the wood and aluminium ones fitted to the zonda so i have spent some time backwards engineering one in my head and have finally got around to doing the build render in solidworks.

next is to get the handbrake done, luckily vulcan was able to help me with the model of the handbrake but it has no internal fitting space so that has to be entered into the model.

lots of wood and aluminium.. mmmmmm

gearkn.jpg

gearstick1.jpg

Asem6a.jpg

Edited by bigsi

thanks for the comments guys, they mean a lot to me.

there is nothing more i can do now, i dont have the strength to do what needed now. so im at an impass, so in the meantime i going to totally build the interior of the car in solidworks and then render it in my dream colour and trim scheme. one thing i love more than cars is a very well done interior, i love the double edge stiches or basball stitching as they call it in italian leather upholstery, i love quilted stitched interiors more than anything. lots of carbon and there has to be copious amounts of aluminnium and wood.

as you can see i have started, lots more to do, but below is my dream style interior!!

gearassy.jpg

i have already modeled the gearknob, puck pedals, with help from vulcan grey the handbrake and throttle curved pedal, so all i have to do is the rest of the interior.

img5.jpg

simon

• Gold FFM

Really good thread with photos showing great attention to detail. All the hard work will be worth it in the end Si. Keep them coming mate. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

gearknob update:

i managed to get all the correct measurements today from the gearstick by means of a digital caliper and measuring tapes etc.

i had to adjust the internals for the overall build of the knob but i have finally finished it. i have to allow for build/lathe tolerances but the model is dimesionally correct and finished.

gknb.jpg

gknb2.jpg

maingearknob.jpg

maingearknob1.jpg

maingearknob2.jpg

maingearknob3.jpg

now the internal bore is specifically for the M7 threaded gearsticks, however, this can be altered easily for the M8 threaded gearsticks.

I may have a couple made up and see if anyones interested in them

the puck pedal models are finished some time ago also the throttle pedal, the handbrake is ready, but the internal diameters have to be added.

i managed to get all the radius measurements including lengths from my handbrake today so i will get on with that tonight.

will keep you all updated and try and get some prototypes made shortly.

im also toying with the internal start button on the gearknob also, but until i have one here to measure etc i cant remodel the knob assembly, so keep watching.

simon

Edited by bigsi

Hey Simon

Wow mate this is one hell of a restoration. Really enjoying reading this thread and your latest interior ideas are awesome. Hopefully ill get to see this one when its finished at some meets.

no more updates from me for a while guys.

i collapsed at home yesterday and decided to leave hospital tioday, stupid yes i know.

im hoping to see my doc tomorrow to agree to let them do a lumbar puncture on me, to be honest im scared to death, i have never been so afraid of something in my life and its not easy to admit it, but with kellys support and everyone elses im goint to get through this.

the car was taken away today so no more tinkering, the docs etc gave me a right bollo**ing for not taking my meds and for really overdoing things lately.

i have learned my lesson finally and am doing as im told.

i will pop in every day and keep in touch, but now its time to rest and heal for a while.

heres a parting piccie..

DSCN4949.jpg

simon

Edited by bigsi

Si - I hear Troy swapped your car for 2 sheep and a kebab from the 'Taste of Asia', nicely done.

Get some rest matey. He's a whizz and will get your car back and running for you with some help from his pals.

Oh, and what's that on your reg plate, does it say.... TOY BOY !!!!! :P:D:P

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

get_well_soon_pic.jpg

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Sorry to hear about your latest setback Si. At least you won't be able to overdo it for a bit. Please take the opportunity and get some proper rest (so no chasing the sheep). You know we're all rooting for your recovery.

It's been a gripping read so far :P Hopefully it won't be too long before the next installment with an update on whatever Troy's been up to.

Phil

More speed, less haste

Flippin 'eck Simon! Slow down, you loon! You've got plenty of time to nail your car back together over the summer. In the meantime you can sit down with your laptop and carry on playing with your knob....gearknob designs, I mean - gutter brain. :P:D