Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start putting my s2 (79070782g) back together! - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start putting my s2 (79070782g) back together!

Hmm.. 

Not 100% sure then ... What are the 4 single bolts attached to? - Is it the large engine bay to  bulkhead plate?

Vin Taylor

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

looking back at some old images it seems these holes have been filled in when I had the speaker holes filled in :/

DSCF2743_zpsa5eecf3b.jpg

I'll have to drill the holes for the boot board bracket 

Vin Taylor

Hmm.. 

Not 100% sure then ... What are the 4 single bolts attached to? - Is it the large engine bay to  bulkhead plate?

I haven't pulled the carpet back on the engine side so not sure. You seem to have some filled in speaker holes and lighter coloured outline where my brackets are. It looks like the holes have been filled in.

Edited by Freemason

Seems like it .. I had some fibreglass work done a while back and asked the guy to fill in the speaker holes as they are not original and it seems he also filled in these holes ... 

At least the outline should show as a good reference for the new holes

Antonio.. Do you reckon it would be possible to send me an image of the bulkhead insulation ?.. Just to know exactly which bolts are fastened under the sound deadening and which are attached through it 

Vin Taylor

Fantastic!

Are you missing the brackets that hold the rear shelves above the fuel tanks? I can't see the holes where the bolts go through.

Done :)

WP_20140518_020_zps48f14900.jpg

WP_20140518_022_zps92c9995c.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out Antonio :)

Engine bay insulation ... still a work in progress

I've decided to go ahead and get some insulation tape to mask off all the joint lines for a neater job .. but quite happy on the whole :)

WP_20140518_019_zpsfe09909a.jpg

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

just handed in the wiring loom to be refurbed.. still waiting for the quotation for the work needed .. so fingers crossed! :)

Vin Taylor

Been stuck working on an assignment all weekend so didn't have time to get much done.. but I've started work on the interior insulation.  In the end I went to silent coat 2mm 

Manged to finish the drivers side :)

WP_20140525_003_zps8ee08a26.jpg

Vin Taylor

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent job Vin. Just about to paint the s1. Did you use a plastic primer prior to the satin black enamel on the underside front and only stone chip paint in the wheel arches? Was looking at heat resistant paint for the engine bay, which paint did you settle on? Cheers Fab.

Hi Fabian,

The car being a weekend car, I decided to use paint rather than stone chip for the arches.  I didn't do the body work myself but as far as I am aware the arches where done using primer coat and then a top coat of hardner paint.

I was thinking of using underseal and managed to coat the underside of the front radiator duct and the stuff was horrible and is still sticky till this day!

I suppose only time will tell how everything holds together, but I can always re-do the arches at a later stage.

I was thinking of using a heat resistant paint for the inside of the engine bay area, but in the end I decided on heat shielding material.  The inside of the boot area was hand painted in hammerite satin black (we don't get POR-15 here in Malta unfortunately, but this is purely an undercoat that will be covered with carpeting.

Here is the engine bay with heat shielding material :

WP_20140518_019_zpsfe09909a.jpg

Front bonnet underside (same paint as the arches)

WP_20140504_014_zps63da6634.jpg

Boot area (with hammerite satin black)

WP_20140504_011_zpsfef13e5b.jpg

The heat shielding should hopfully help keep the heat out of the boot area

Vin Taylor

• 8 months later...

Interesting. I only have one each side at the bulkhead end and they're rubber/ Always wondered how long they'd last before breaking but 15 years and still going strong. Spings look smart though. Might consider adding 2 more at the front of the cover as the clip inside (like on the airbox) never fitted properly and pulls it down too far.

Another one to add to the list...

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Did you use foam to seat the fuel tanks? I always thought this was kinda unnecessary because they only make contact with a small section of the floor, which isn't flat directly below the tanks. The original foam doesn't seem to do much other than soak up water and rust the tanks out. Maybe a rubber around the outside bottom edge of the tanks would be more effective?

Haven't fit any foam for the time being as I just placed them to make sure they fit.

Now need to crack on and solve the mystery of the fuel vent system.

Vin Taylor

Hi Jon,

You're completely right .. the possible purchase of a house this year has set me back.

Still cracking on though .. I've got the engine booked in for the rebuild in May.

So this year will be focused about getting the rolling chassis done

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Started cracking on again with the rebuild.

Had some bits nickel plated including the fuel filler necks.

Can anyone remind me whether I am missing a gasket between the filler ring and the body?  I believe it is filler neck, gasket, body, gasket, filler ring?

WP_20150510_001_zpsj1gtn7gj.jpg

Also can anyone remind me whether this is fitted on with self tapping screws or not?

Also can anyone guide me on the routing of the handbrake cables through the body?  Also do I need 1 single grommet for the longer handbrake cable.. I only had one on my car before I took the whole thing apart :)

WP_20150510_006_zpsgcksd7j0.jpg

Also does the longer cable need to go out of the body (where the drivers fuel tank is) and then back in through this hole?

WP_20150510_010_zpsm0iopkvg.jpg

Sorry for the stupid questions guys.. but I took this car apart 5 years ago :/

Vin Taylor