Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
window frame misfitment - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

window frame misfitment

I have a huge gap at the top of the driver's side window. It may have been there since I got the car, but I've only recently been driving my Elite at speed where the noise and cold air influx is very noticeable. The passenger door is fine. I have new weatherstripping from FJ, but there is almost half an inch between the top of the frame and the weatherstripping. The front and rear parts of the frame are flush with the weatherstripping.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've had the door completely apart several times, but have been very careful not to bend the frame. The window moves perfectly within the frame. I suppose I could graft more material onto the weatherstripping, but this would not look good. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

The bottom of the window frame has 'some' penny washers where it bolts to the door beam. You need to adjust the number of these washers to get the correct gap. It's very difficult to get it right!

I have this trouble on my Excel .The odd thing is that the three legs of the frame have two fixing point were you can pack out with washers , except the rear one which only fixes at the bottom of the leg. The top is the point I want to pack it . I got bit more adjustment by packing out the lower door hinge ,you can bring the door shell back into line where it fixes to the beam . I have faffed about with mine and it still does not seal .

It is indeed a shite system. Mine came back with a bigger gap after the doors were off. At least one owner has fitted Esprit style seals in the top edges of the window frame to help with this

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

It is indeed a shite system. Mine came back with a bigger gap after the doors were off. At least one owner has fitted Esprit style seals in the top edges of the window frame to help with this

Do you please have a picture of it ?

Thank you in advance

Don

In 2005 I fitted Esprit secondary window seals to my Excel. They came from SJ Sportscars (http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk), part number C082U5779F, where you can see a picture.

They are an easy fit into the slot around the Excel window frame with a sticky back that holds them in place. The Esprit window is slightly different in shape/size to the Excel, but the Excel is smaller so the rubber seal can be trimed to size.

They only fill the gap between the back, top and front of the window frame and the body. They will not fill a large gap between the window frame and the existing door seal.

I'm pleased with mine. Keeps the wind noise down a bit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Do the early eclat window frames fit an 85 Excel, I have a good spare set from an earlier car that a friend wants to use on his Excel.

The Excel parts manual suggests they would fit, since the part numbers for the Excel window frame is G075U07001F (lefthand) and G075U07000F (righthand).

All Excels used the same window frames.

The '75' series of numbers were used for the Elite/Eclat, whereas specific Excel part numbers were '89'.

I don't know if the early and late Eclat window frames came in different versions. Maybe someone with an Eclat parts manual can answer that.

• Gold FFM

brilliant, thanks for the info. Always can be assured of an answer on this forum.