Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Le Mans 2007 - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Le Mans 2007

Loteuk

Early days for this and planning is not my dept.

I had 14 times at Le Mans most in Lotus from Europa to Esprit to Ducati to works van.

Did the Classic this year for the first time and it brought back what Le Mans was about (times change I know) but part of the experience is meeting people of similar passion whatever they drive and whatever their accent........I digress...........

For the 2007 LeMans there are alternatives that are probably less expensive and more enjoyable than the 'new' LeMans experience. (until the Classic comes around again and when Cadena/Lotus Motorsport make a show)! :D

A trip out ("won t be home for dinner bird and don t wait up") to take in the drive to LeMans,see the start of the race, then drive some of the best roads in Europe, perhaps to the South, with a return for the race finish then a drive with all the other cars back to Home.

I know this has been done before but what a trip out??!! :D

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was meant to be going to Classic Le Mans this year with BN but once again, circumstances (ie engine poppage) conspired against me! :angry:

I'm not sure I'm THAT interested in the Le Mans race itself - cars randomly screaming past in front of me just isn't that interesting to me but the general weekend atmos does appeal - So i can see where you're coming from...

Go along, join in the hoon there, soak up some of the atmos... S0d off, do some driving of your own and then come back in time for the evening meal and some more atmos, followed by joining the trip (traffic jam?) home...

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I was meant to be going to Classic Le Mans this year with BN but once again, circumstances (ie engine poppage) conspired against me! :P

I'm not sure I'm THAT interested in the Le Mans race itself - cars randomly screaming past in front of me just isn't that interesting to me but the general weekend atmos does appeal - So i can see where you're coming from...

Go along, join in the hoon there, soak up some of the atmos... S0d off, do some driving of your own and then come back in time for the evening meal and some more atmos, followed by joining the trip (traffic jam?) home...

:P In one!

Have done most combinations and unless LeMans is the focus of the trip, then it would be just another date in the diary.

This is how Mr.Fish sees the trip exactly but not with the traffic jams (in France)? - not being ripped off by the trackside offerings - not having pondlife scratching, pouring beer into and abusing your car, I could go on...... :P

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

• 4 weeks later...

I was just wondering who is planning on going to Le Mans next year and does it make sense to convoy down, book a site to stay together and put graphics on all the cars for the trip and mybe take in some scenery for a few days before or after of both?

Anyone who has been in any type of Lotus will know that the limited boot space make for basic camping but if we make plan together we could share all sorts of stuff, make a great camp with our own showers and toilets and kitchen. If we all chip in we could purchase gear to be used for club events.

I know one posible great location behind the hunaudieres cafe on the Mulsanne straight, it is a farm with limited facilities but nice and quiet and we could arrange to block off a field. If you have other ideas or locations let hear some ideas.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I'm no good at organising any Brewery based drinking sessions, therefore I'm not volunteering my (lack of) organisational skills in any way - at all. We have a number of members (moderators!) who have a proven track record of sorting out huge events, so I'd bow down to their superior experience....

.....but, how about an Esprit gathering at Le Mans next year? I've never been before (the shame of it) but Louise tells me it's great social event with lots of drinking/laughing/hooning for the whole weekend. Apparently there's some sort of race on, too.

Dates are from June 15th weekend.

Graham - there's been a small amount of discussion of Le Mans 2007 in the Events section already... I like the way you set expectations from the outset, though :lol:

:D Bwahahaha! I s'pose that means I should probably read all of the forums in future and not just Chat and Technical :D:lol:

I think I'd be up for this too.

Would love to join you guys but I've already burned up my holiday time with plans. One of those is taking the Esprit to Slovenia again. Did it nearly 10 years ago just after I got her. If I'd known how knackered she was I'd never have done it. Still, with the help of a friendly french mechanic, disaster was averted long enough to get me there via St Tropez and back to be followed by a total rebuild....I have proof too (of getting there at least) :D

LotSlo.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Chaps

Already booked Le Mans for 2007. So going. Camping at Houx. Been before....Great weekend, not sure if taking the Esprit yet will decide nearer the time.

Prehaps we could arrange somekind of meet up down there for a beer or 2 . ................

Say 3.30 am on the Sunday Morning :D:P

Cliff :P

ps note to mods wondered if this thread should be moved to events.?

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Wife surprized me yesterday with a very unexpected present. (Think its a v early 40th) She has arranged Tickets, Fastcat, 4* camping (whatever that is) and a Grandstand seat on the start/finish straight for 5 days for Le Mans 2007. (and 9 other mates tagging along)

Really looking forward to it never having gone for the race before.

However the big question - Anybody taken their Esprit on the Fastcat? ie whats clearance like?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

nice present, 4* camping ? is that a tent with chandeliers?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Wife surprized me yesterday with a very unexpected present. (Think its a v early 40th) She has arranged Tickets, Fastcat, 4* camping (whatever that is) and a Grandstand seat on the start/finish straight for 5 days for Le Mans 2007. (and 9 other mates tagging along)

Really looking forward to it never having gone for the race before.

However the big question - Anybody taken their Esprit on the Fastcat? ie whats clearance like?

Ian - is this you offering to sort 9 of us out for the trip to Le Mans then? Cheers mate! :blink::D

OK, seriously now, I'm interested in going too and am a Le Mans virgin. So far I've worked out:

5 day ferry crossings are cheaper

Overnight ferry crossings require cabin bookings = costly

Arrive on Thursday to enjoy Friday's open pit lanes

Toilet facilities will be grim unless you arrange your own

Camp sites get very busy and booked well in advance

Companies exist to sell you packages of entry/accomodation/ferry

and - er - that's it so far. I'm having a bit of a wander throguh this list and a few other sites to get up to speed.

Can you just wander in with your ticket and take your chances with the rabble to get a good view, or are grandstand seats obligatory if you want to do any proper spectating?

Marc - I like your organised approach!

Fishy - I'm with you on probably needing a break from the racing.

Anyone got any further tips on planning a trip, and any thoughts on travel dates and/or ferry ports yet?

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

I'm organising a group again this year - 13 cars and 29 people so far including 3 x M3s, a Porsche 928, a couple of Cossies and a few GTMs. We will travel out on Thursday by chunnel and back on Monday and are staying in "4* Camping" - i.e. the Airtrack Village (decent showers, toilets and 24 hr security in the fully fenced site right by the kart track).

If anyone is interested in tagging along for the convoy, or would like to be part of our group booking let me know......

If you want to see the video of our exploits last year have a look at YouTube (means much more if you were there)

• Gold FFM

Dave, Love the youtube vid. This sounds like the same campsite we are staying on. (decent showers, toilets and 24 hr security) - next to kart track - Aire D'accueil Karting Nord.

One of our group is going out on the Monday taking a van full of our tents/sleeping bags ect ect so he will set up everyones tents before we arrive on the Thursday. Sounds like I just need to turn up and crack open a can :D

Dan If you are interested let me know and I'm sure you could join the posse. Give me a bell if you want - you have my mob. The chap going out in the van is that mate of mine I had with me when I met you at South West Lotus Centre couple of months ago.

Edited by Kimbers

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

When are you going out and from where?

Tickets arrived in todays post!!!! looking forward to it now.

Edited by Kimbers

:( Just got mine as well , staying at Houx :thumbsup:

Hoping to take the new car so any chance of meeting for a beer or 2 down there.

Hooning down on Friday back Monday

Anyone else

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

This will be my 11th Le Mans and third with the Esprit. I would crawl over broken glass to get there.

Me and my best mate Jim will be staying as always with Club Valan camping at the airport. 4 nights camping, Showers, toilets, full catering, and tickets for

Lets have a list of who's going this year...

1. Bibs

2. Cliff

Perhaps we can arrange a time and place to meet up for a beer while we're there? :question:

Cliff