Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Have you tracked your Evora? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Have you tracked your Evora?

Frimley111R

Had the chance to do a small trackday in Lueneburg yesterday, Unfortunately its a very small track (actually a driver safety education facility) and passing is not allowed anywhere. But, it was sufficient to ruin my tires. :whistle:

Yes, that is a Fiat 500 and it was being driven by a rather young girl.But, she did a great job!

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 1 month later...

Went to local track circuit today, Ahvenisto it's called (http://ahvenistoracecircuit.com/).

Wow, Evora was much better than I expected. Car has much more balls than me. Tried without S-button first, felt that ISP works too slow. But with S-mode it worked much better. Must get more laps to go. Surprised about noise test, 95 dB (factory sports exhaust).

Compared to Esprit I feel that Evora is much easier to drive. No timing, so don't know lap times. But can get higher top speed with Esprit than Evora  :ice:

• Like 1

After reading your review and mention of Abu Dhabi's Yas, I did a bit of reading through the LDA website. It did have some references to Yas Island, but the info is sparse enough to make me think this was a one-time (or no-time) thing. Do you know if they have an active program there? It would be so convenient for me . . . just an hour drive away. Definitely something I would like to do.

I'm a track newbie, but had an interesting experience at the Dubai Autodrome. I had scheduled the R8 Experience for one evening several months ago after I ordered, but before I received my '14 S. The instructors take you out for a few laps in a TT, then you switch to a V10 R8 for a few laps. Coincidentally, the day before this the Lotus dealer called me and asked if I would like to track an S the next morning. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity--so I ended up taking two trips to the track on the same day. And got to drive the S in the morning and an R8 in the evening. Very cool experience.

-so I ended up taking two trips to the track on the same day. And got to drive the S in the morning and an R8 in the evening. Very cool experience.

....and the winner is.........?

Mike S

....and the winner is.........?

I'm not the best person to make a pronouncement on that. It was my first time on a track in the morning session with the Evora. I did three laps, then the instructor took over for a couple of laps. In the evening with the R8 the instructor never took over and did a lap--so couldn't compare that hair-raising experience.

The R8 clearly is more powerful. The car felt more direct and rigid. The evora was more pliant and lively. They are both fantastic cars. Money no object and remove style and exclusivity issues, you take the R8. In Dubai, R8s are a dime a dozen. The evora simply needs more power to compete with the R8s and 911s of the world.

Slightly off topic but I have to ask:

Does a decision like that not take other factors in consideration? I imagine a R8 is harder to park, bigger, louder, more expensive, etc.

I am already unsure if it is the right thing to do, swapping an rx8 for an evora s to be used as a standard car. Let's be honest, 0-60 times don't matter for 99.9% of daily driving. The rx8 is very comfortable, quiet, just a normal car to be honest. What else does one need (difference to want) in a standard car?

I am already unsure if it is the right thing to do, swapping an rx8 for an evora s to be used as a standard car. Let's be honest, 0-60 times don't matter for 99.9% of daily driving. The rx8 is very comfortable, quiet, just a normal car to be honest. What else does one need (difference to want) in a standard car?

Once you've driven the Evora S you'll know that you always needed it! 

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Finally got all the personal stuff I ordered from Demon Tweeks. The helmet was on back order for a loooong time. So two track days booked in August. Both on typical Lotus tracks here in Sweden (lots of twists, less of straight lines). Having driven one of the tracks in my old Opel Speedster it will be interesting to compare to the Evora.

Very tight tracks that are great for the Eliges tend to be a bit too tight for the Evora. The Evora needs some straights to really get an advantage. It'S a GT after all. And, consequently because of the higher speed its much more comfortable to have some runoff space.

• 2 weeks later...

Back at Goodwood today, for a real test of the Aircon ! No brake judder since having my rear discs skimmed so an enjoyable day.

Especially so since I had a chance to drive a brand new Evora S. Being encouraged to get the most out of it by the legend that is Martin Donnelly.

Wow, Lotus have done a fabulous job of developing the car, it felt so different to my 2010 NA.

Back at Goodwood today, for a real test of the Aircon ! No brake judder since having my rear discs skimmed so an enjoyable day.

Especially so since I had a chance to drive a brand new Evora S. Being encouraged to get the most out of it by the legend that is Martin Donnelly.

Wow, Lotus have done a fabulous job of developing the car, it felt so different to my 2010 NA.

That's an interesting comment about the difference between a MY10 and MY12 you've probably made my next car decision for me :-) 2010NA to a 2012 will be where I might go..

How was Goodwood? I'm going on the 4th August with B & C :-)

Goodwood was great, suits the Evora, let's it stretch its legs and demonstrate its balance through medium and fast bends. That brand new S was indicating 140 at the end of the Lavant straight, before piling on the anchors. But Fordwater is the 'test of nerve' for me. Fast right hand kink with nothing but an earth bank on the outside. Age, discretion and lack of talent mean I always have a subconscious lift before aiming for the apex. Martin Donnelly just took it flat at 120, whilst chatting to me like it was a Sunday afternoon drive. Respect!

• 2 weeks later...

Done!

Attended the first track day with the Evora on Sunday. Started off with pouring rain which wasn't a good start. But the sky soon cleared up and got back to it's default mode this summer (=blue sky and 25 degree celsius).

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres were great once the tracked dried up. Started up with 1.8 bar in the front and 2.0 in the rear. Ended up with 2.3 and 2.5 after a while. Pretty much in line with what Michelin recommends.

The car itself is a totally different animal on the track compared to my old Opel Speedster (VX220 NA). 3.5 litre V6 and a supercharger vs 2.2 litre NA. No issues with keeping up the revs with the Evora, just select one of the gears and that would keep you going. Getting it wrong with the Speedster and it took ages to regain pace. 

A few photos taken by my son while I was having fun on the track  :P 

14850462403_e0b7f3644d_o.png

14643962089_345ffe2b49_o.png

14643908490_b954f9fb99_o.png

More photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk1uLnox

Next track day will be on Friday this week.

• Like 1

Did my 2nd of 3 planned track days this year on Monday at Goodwood... I love my car but now I'm properly back in the honeymoon period again. Got very used to using her everyday and have become complacent and just used to driving an incredible car all the time.

Do it and you'll discover its ability to go round corners rather quickly reminds you it's a proper Lotus with Chapmans DNA well and truly ingrained in it's behaviour.

Love my Evora :-)

Spa next month :-D

(On track photo courtesy of Bibs, thanks again mate!)

post-15194-0-57017400-1407329547.jpg

post-15194-0-41472400-1407329603.jpg

Who do you guys use for track day insurance? I always had it included in with my normal policy on my elise. I have had a couple of quotes on the evora for standalone cover and it is coming of at over £200 per day.

Competition Car Insurance, they are underwritten by one the UK's largest companies..

Includes 6 track days (2 can be European). Excess is £1750. The policy costs me £500 more than a normal road policy. I'm only doing about 4 track days so £125 a pop.

I had my elise with cci. Their quot for the evora was about £700 more than I ended up paying with e sure. So not worn it for a couple of track days.

Tbh I only do it because a family member once licked an Elise up against a tyre wall.. Superficial damage (Front Clam, Alloys refurb, paintwork on one side) and it cost approx £5000 to fix.. Dread to think what an Evora could cost!

Took mine on the Prescott Hillclimb at the weekend.

It was pouring with rain and teh trak was very wet, but I was still impressed with the handling and grip (I did not use sport mode because it was very slippery under the trees)

I put a couple of pics on the picture thread.