Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Steering Rack Bearing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Steering Rack Bearing

There is a needle bearing and a ball bearing in the steering rack. Does anybody know which ones they are? I could read NSK on the ball bearing but that's about it. Mine are completely gone, had to demolish them in order to get them out.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you still measure them up, or if not take measurements of the place were they are fitted and match them up to skf ones. SKF has a extensive catalogue on the www.

NSK online catalague: http://www.nsk.com/services/onlinecatalog/

SKF roller bearings: http://www.skf.com/group/products/bearings-units-housings/roller-bearings/index.html

Esprit Freak

Hi Freek thnx for your reply. I will need to burn the outer rings of bearings out as the bearings are already broken except from the outer rings. But the bearings are a bit deep into the housing to measure them up easily. Any way if I'm able to measure up inner and outer diameters, it still does not mean I will choose the best bearing, since a my original bearing is into pieces and I don't know the sealing or the clearance. Let's assume I can determine by sizes it's a 6206 bearing then I still have choice from a 6206 ZZ, 2RS, C2, C3,... or a combination.

That's why I was hoping that somebody know the exact spec :D. It's not a 2 minute job to get the rack in and out and change the brearing again ;)

Gert,

Did you have a look on this list?

http://www.drhess.net/crystal_princess.htm

Steering Rack Bearing 1   HK1512, 15mm ID x 12mm needle roller bearing, 14mm long fits.    

Steering Rack Bearing 2   6202 ball bearing Sealed one OK 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

get a machine shop to drill the needle bearing out and redrill to a bigger ball bearing or even better drill for 2 taper bearings like the later model so you can get the backlash out to have zero play on the rack-pinion

Edited by lotus-62

something like that BUT if yours has the needle bearing the casting needs to be machined, however if you have a 2 ball bearing pinion shaft you can replace the ball bearings with taper bearings  (I used the skf 30202 bearings )

thnx for all the replies guys.

Just my curiosity why the taper bearings? They are much better in coping with (heavier) axial forces but are little better to cope with axial forces as in the steering house compared to ball bearings. Or am I mistaken here?