Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora v Exige V6 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora v Exige V6

Beady

My Evora was at Lotus Silverstone today to finally get the reversing camera replaced.

Now all working, great job.

Whilst there I had pre-arranged for a test drive in a new Exige.

As it happened I had a roadster and they were kind enough to let me have it for  few hours, Shame it was raining most of the time but anyway.

So my brief thoughts after an extended half day with an Exige:

The Evora is a pretty fast car but the Exige is just epic. OMG / laugh out loud every time you pull away

The sport mode noticeably changes the exhaust note - cool !

The power steering in the Evora is great. The Exige needs effort to steer it at low speeds. Similar to my old Elise but the Evora has made me lazy.

The side sills are ridiculously wide. Again as per Elise. None Lotus folk moan about the Evoras wide cills... Exige massive.

It is noisey. Get earplugs. Radio redundant.

Ride was surprisingly comfy

In summary - I want one, like mad. just for the insane speed.

However I am struggling to think I could live with it on a daily basis due to noise and general impracticability.

When I got back in the Evora, I was happy to be in a comfortable environment where I could cruise home and not need to be 'on it', knowing that I can still have almost have much fun if I want to, but with perhaps just a little less speed.

Mrs B liked it so you never know....Hmmm zero finance.......

construction and property consultants : My company

I drove the Exige and was 99% ready to put a deposit down before Bibs rolled up in an Evora...  :driving:  

I agree the Exige seems faster, but I reckon a lot of that perception is down to the rawness of the experience compared to the Evora which is a much more refined car. I'd come from 12 years in Elises and I didn't see much of a different from the Exiges driving seat, same interior, screen, roof, etc. I felt after years of seat of the pants motoring I needed a change, that said it took me a while to get over the instant adrenaline rush of the more hard core cars... but then drop the Evora into sports mode, hit the loud pedal, the scenery turns to a blur and how much quicker can you legally drive in this country? 

The final thing for me is day to day driving. I can't vouch for the Exige but the Evora is unbelievably sedate in traffic jams and in whatever the weather. With the Elises there was often a time or journey I borrowed the wife's car but the Evora's a joy to drive whatever the journey and as much as the Exige appeals I'm not ready to give up my creature comforts and go back to another Elise derivative. 

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

I would love to take the Exige on the Nurburgring, but admittedly I would probably hate driving it there from Hamburg (~500 Km Autobahn). As a daily driver and GT the Evora is way better. On the other hand, the Exige is surely faster on track and would probably also make mountains of fun on an Apline pass, say the Route de s Grandes Alpes.

Unfortunately buying both isn't a real option either, because you wouldn't wan't to tow the Exige to the Nurburgring with the Evora either. :huh:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Very different but similar cars. I agree the Exige seems to give more instant responses to the right peddle, it makes you want to do it too. The Evora is more relaxed, better as a GT car while still being great handling etc. I nearly swapped to an Exige S earlier this year but I'm sure my wife would enjoy it and use it like she does the Evora.

One great thing about the Exige is the driving position which IMHO is better than the Evora with the offset peddles.

As said two different cars. I was very close to put down my money on an Exige S Cup since I enjoyed driving the standard Exige and the Cup comes with all the extras that I would have put on the standard car. In the end I went for an Evora S. Three main reasons for that decision:

1) Price, given that the Evora was a MY12 (although brand new) I got a good discount

2) Delivery time, 3-4 month delivery time for the Cup would probably mean that I would get it in August/September at the very best. The Evora was for obvious reasons available immediately

3) Practically, since I really want to use the car as daily driver when possible, track toy and also to go on vacation the more practical aspects of an Evora S 2+0 made me reconsider

Having had an Opel Speedster earlier (VX220) I'm used to the stripped down style. I don't think I would have had an issue living with an Exige Cup. But the Evora is something completely different. So far I'm very pleased, time will tell if that feeling stays (I kept the Opel Speedster for four years).

I agree the Exige seems faster, but I reckon a lot of that perception is down to the rawness of the experience compared to the Evora which is a much more refined car. 

^^ Was going to suggest the same thing.  After driving my Elise for years, when I took my Evora for a test drive and got on to the duel carriageway for the first time, I put my foot on the accelerator and was disappointed with the performance.  Then I looked at the speedo to see I was already doing 100mph.  The Elise let me know when it was going fast, the Evora just does it without complaint :)  

I think trying to shake off a determined Evora down a b-road would be the stuff of nightmares for most supercar owners. 

^^ Great line :) :) 

I think trying to shake off a determined Evora down a b-road would be the stuff of nightmares for most supercar owners.

Well said and acurate for more than one reason!

First off, most supercar owners bought the car for the prestige and have no idea of how it should (could) be driven - true of 99% of all Porsche drivers also. :no

Secondly consider the cost of having to repair the car should you lose it. That would slow me down also, even if I could afford the repair. :no

Lastly, the Evora is so damn good and its somewhat more subtle suspension makes it unbeatable on B-roads. :clap:

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Agree with all above too. I had a 111R S/C and it was brilliant on a hoon/track but, being honest with myself, not very good anywhere else. You had to be quite hardcore to drive one daily IMO. I looked at the Exige S too but it looked too much like my Elise for £50k. 

We can use and Evora in any weather, for any type of journey. Its just a fast but 100 times better at everything else.  :smoke: