Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s Brake Issue lotus 1995 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s Brake Issue lotus 1995

Hi Everyone

I have a brake issue in terms of braking causing the front to pull left when applying the pedal. It does not pull left if the the pedal is pushed down slowly. Front system is Brembo brakes.

Also noticed that now the pump comes on every time I use the pedal. So this is what I have done so far to check for leaks,

Looked around the ABS unit for any fluid and found none on the body.

Pumped the pedal 40 times then checked fluid level- Level is good no loss.

The colour of the fluid is not good, one chamber is more darker in browny stuff. Dont know what is that.

My question can I do the flush myself or is it better to get it done by a shop.

I guess I should do the basics first before looking for other problems like car pulling left on braking.

The last time the brakes were serviced has to be over 7 years ago. New front discs and all brake pads were replaced at that time. Have had no problems until now. 

Look forward to suggestions and ways to fix this.

As always greatly appreciate help from this forum.

Ameer

PS My good buddy Jim Knowles in Orlando is kind of busy at the moment so If I can do the basics at least that will be a start.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my thread pinned at the top of this brake section about getting the delco brakes working correctly. It sounds like you have the ususal issues relating to this system that can be fixed yourself without handing over to a monkey. I think the pulling to one side could just be down to the system not functioning correctly and the age of its fluid...and you mentioned the colour of it! Quite possibly you have a sticky caliper on one side thats slow to respond..hence why it feels more even at gentle braking as opposed to quick on the pedal. The pistons arnt moving out fast enough. All simple stuff really.

Hi Everyone

What dot 4 fluid is recommended for our lotus as I have lots of choices at the auto parts store.

Dont mind paying a bit more for a better make if that is what should be used for better performance.

Thanks

Ameer

I have DOT 5.1 in my S4 works at higher temp. I have the uprated hispec 4 pots all round with new accumulator. Waiting for Darrens new pressure switch.

Pump running every push sounds like accumulator. should be 4/5 Pushes.

Wayne

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darren and Wayne

UPDATE

Thanks to both of you for the response to my questions. I read the pinned thread fully and kind of understood the ABS brake system.

I ordered the accumulator AC Delco part and took my car down to a local garage mechanic who apparently hires out his lift and tools for private work in his garage.

I asked if he was willing to help me in flushing the system, install the accumulator and bleed the brakes, and he was very helpful as being old school understood the the basics of the ABS brakes system. He followed the instructions from the LEW site and got it done, even though the procedure was a pain to bleed the lines.

Got all that done and test drove the car home and what a relief to find the faults all gone, car stopping dead straight and pump only coming on 3/4 pedals as it should be.

So I got away without a switch problem this time and hope I get a few more years before the switch gives up, and an alternate fix may be then available without costing too much modification.

PS he recommended staying with the DOT 4 as it was used originally. This way the system performs as set by the manufacturer.

Once again thanks to everyone and happy driving.

Ameer

I certainly bow to your superior knowledge on the Dot 4/5 issue Darren. But I don't have any problems with the Dot 5. What would you consider as the major difference. My understanding is heat tolerance is greater on dot 5.1

Regards Wayne

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

You do not want to use DOT 5 as this is silicone based and can be the cause of water accumulating in the brake system. With glycol based fluids they absorb the moisture preventing this.

DOT 5.1 may not suit the older brake systems that the Esprit uses because its viscosity limit is about half that of DOT 4 and this might affect the flow through the ABS valves.

There are plenty of DOT 4 brake fluids that exceed the DOT 5.1 dry and wet minimum boiling points.

Edited by sailorbob