Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 81 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

The driveshafts Lotusbits supplied have Hardy Spicer 163 UJs. I believe these are the original ones Lotus used and are no longer available. They must not be confused with inferior UJs.They look substantial compared with the ones I have in there.

Just a short bit about the rear wheel bearings. There is a lot of confusing info on here. They come apart when you remove the rear driveshafts because the U channel clip is held in by the driveshaft. When its pulled out there is a point the shaft no longer holds the clip, so it pings out and half the bearing  comes with it. There is no reason you cannot reassemble it provided the races and balls are in good condition, its clean and greased. You must ensure the U channel clip is inserted correctly. These bearings should last a very long time as they are way over specked for the task. Don’t loose the balls when they fall out! If you can’t find all of them buy a new bearing!

Well thats about it for my overhaul, just a bit of cleaning to do. The car is driving very well and the tune up has made starting easy, first time on the key again! 
Now where to go?

• Like 2

Fantastic stuff Fabian,

I missed your recent updates on this thread with the overhaul work you've been doing. Really useful info for us other S1 owners dealing with similar issues so thanks for continuing to share your experiences and knowledge!

You've done the marque proud and proved an S1 can be engineered to pass it's ultimate test!🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/the-spy-who-loved-me-bond-60-anniversary/ho00008665#/buy-tickets-by-film?for-movie=ho00008665&view-mode=list

60 th anniversary James Bond The Spy Who Loved me, currently showing in the surrey area! I will have to go as the last time I was 10 years old in 1977!

• Like 1

Fabian it would be absolutely tremendous if you could bring one - or both! - of your Esprits to Lotus in the Peak at Chatsworth in July.  The punters - we have 266 Lotuses booked on already - would go absolutely mad for it!

Congrats Fabian. That’s my former boss (and Flight International editor) Allan Winn inspecting your 907 unit in the pic. He (fondly) dubbed my Essex Blue Turbo Esprit a “Tupperware Speedboat”!

• Like 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-23) Lotus Emira FE 400 (23-..)

25 minutes ago, Jack Stone said:

Congrats Fabian. That’s my former boss (and Flight International editor) Allan Winn inspecting your 907 unit in the pic. He (fondly) dubbed my Essex Blue Turbo Esprit a “Tupperware Speedboat”!

Thanks. Wow, I didn’t realise he was editor of flight! I used to spend all my time looking at the jobs section in there! All three judges were very fair and complementary! 

On 17/06/2022 at 21:01, Lotusfab said:

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/the-spy-who-loved-me-bond-60-anniversary/ho00008665#/buy-tickets-by-film?for-movie=ho00008665&view-mode=list

60 th anniversary James Bond The Spy Who Loved me, currently showing in the surrey area! I will have to go as the last time I was 10 years old in 1977!

Saw this yesterday, excellent on the big screen!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Hi Dean, I would like to come, but due to distance and work I don’t th8nk I can make it this time. 

Just had a great day at Brooklands. The S1 took first place in class, pride of ownership concours! I had a chance to exceed the speed limit!F885F1D0-F825-4A3B-B7D2-E12D13F6F606.thumb.jpeg.37d1805fbab725590f787fbabc18aac5.jpegCFDD7B49-E1F5-41C8-AB5E-AB45FEC40F74.thumb.jpeg.eb4276ce0d24ff49939d219b2616d226.jpeg

IMG_5951.MOV 3.32 MB · 1 download  

IMG_5952.MOV 2.07 MB · 1 download  

That's a shame! It would have been great to see you and your James Bond cutout!

Well done for the award. Very well deserved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deanb said:

That's a shame! It would have been great to see you and your James Bond cutout!

Well done for the award. Very well deserved.

Thanks Dean, I will try and make it next year. 

Back to serious stuff. The rear wheel bearings on the S1 can be split apart, cleaned greased and reassembled if the races are ok. They probably will be as they are over engineered. There is a clip in the middle which comes off. You can then split the bearings and take all the balls out. This is preferable to buying new ones. The originals fit really well and have little play.I have almost finished replacing the nearside driveshaft and servicing the bearing. I held off on this until after the pageant, as sometimes these jobs are unpredictable. Should have it all torqued up tomorrow and then a test drive! Unfortunately, speed restricted unlike Brooklands! 

• 2 weeks later...

I spent ages taking the dials out of my car to bend the speedo needle and add spacers to the perspex and the speedo is now fine but the bloody rev counter needle is now sticking!

• Sad 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Do they bend towards the screen because they are painted on one side and can't expand as much in the heat ? Would be interesting to paint the back and see if it stops it bending as much.