Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 70 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

• Gold FFM

Fabian your was the car of the show for me. I loved the button on the gear knob, I was going to have a chat with you but you looked a bit busy with Bibs

Evening Fabian

Really chuffed for you and so well deserved, a big well done mate.

I have a feeling you may be called upon for TV/movie loan with the bond replica thing, perhaps a cameo role in the new movie....they brought back the DB5!

I had no idea when I came back on the forum today you were about to show the car, fantastic timing ???

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Meant to say also a big thanks also to Steve Fulcher of Fulcher Coachtrimmers who really was so patient and helpful for about two years he helped me out of many a hole with some great advice. Stunning work and triming skills second to none without whom the interior would not have been possible, thanks mate if your reading!

I was asked at the show about the coveted center ashtray. I was lucky, Dave had done the impossible and found one before I got the car. They are rocking horse sh...If you need one they only way now will be to make one and was asked if I can put pictures and measurements on here. I'm away but as soon as I get back will post all the details.

image.jpegimage.pngimage.jpeg

You can just see the center ashtray under Roger Moores left arm. The lower picture is of the actual movie car which was in the Bond museum and then sold. Apparently Roger Moore complained the ashtray was too small for his cigar, so if your making one you might want to make it bigger!?????

• Like 1

Oh nearly forgot for Bond fans, there were three other differences to the standard early S1. Green headrests, the Clock (not fitted to other S1s) which flipped over for the periscope screen and the rocket launch button on the gearstick. The clock was such a good idea Lotus adopted it for later cars.

Hello Fabian,

It was great to meet you and other s1 owners and their brilliant cars and finally see your car in the flesh last week having being lucky with the timing to make it to the festival all the way from down under after an incredible and inspirational restoration. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing it again maybe one day.

Chris

Hi Chris, great to meet you and thanks for the kind comments. If I can be of any help pictures measurements etc please let me know. Would be great to see some pictures of your car on here.

The ashtrays were originally pop-riveted in, not screwed. Mine had never been removed and was held by pop-rivets. Steve Fulcher was going to reproduce these - no idea how far he got?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The original was fitted to a Maserati Ghibli and a Ferrari 275, I searched for ages to get an original and would have paid whatever it took. 

The repro version looks okay but you can't beat the real thing as always.

May help some owners after that early look and unless you had two cars together who would know? Don't think these were about when I was looking though?

Dave ?

Do or do not, there is no try! 

11 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

The original was fitted to a Maserati Ghibli and a Ferrari 275, I searched for ages to get an original and would have paid whatever it took.

And a DeTomaso Mangusta plus an ISO something or other too.

On 29/08/2016 at 16:20, Lotusfab said:

Oh nearly forgot for Bond fans, there were three other differences to the standard early S1. Green headrests, the Clock (not fitted to other S1s) which flipped over for the periscope screen and the rocket launch button on the gearstick. The clock was such a good idea Lotus adopted it for later cars.

There are a few more than that (not including the obvious submarine one)...

The door handles were black not chrome

The windscreen trims were also black not chrome

There was no Lotus badge on the front of the bonnet

The front blade was black instead of body colour

The decal on the front said Lotus instead of Esprit

Oh yep, forgot, the only difference on mine the window trim I have left. They were painted out on the movie to stop light reflections whilst filming in Sardinia. Did you see Cos had his car on last night channel 5?