Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 74 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Just read through the thread from page one over a few days. Firstly upmost respect for your skills and persistence with this project. An amazing standard of restoration and commitment to detail. This (and your FYEO Esprit Turbo thread) are really interesting for myself as an aspiring G car (probably S3) owner. Still doing the homework and scanning the market but these type of threads are invaluable to see what makes these cars tick !

Thanks for sharing and hopefully see your cars at the NEC!

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. When they are both done I intend to bring the tI the NEC so everyone can have a look.

Good luck with the car hunt, I love these cars. I think next year they should both be ready and at the NEC for all to see.

• Like 2

Fantastic work as always Fabian,  The devil is in the detail and you have got it down to a T   :thumbup:   

Looking forward to seeing some finished pictures of both your Bond cars together also, keep up the great work  !

• Like 1

A

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Allways the same with this: "The dreaded camshaft cover leak " there for I have mine changed to the HC version. But LotusBits have now better ones for the 907. 

I love your car (like mine).

Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I have decided my prized S1 must take to the roads this year. She started really easily after being in storage. There has been an oil leak since racing around the Mercedes Benz track. I traced it to the lower camshaft cover corner. An easy fix. This year I shall replace the timing belt, cam gaskets and do an oil change. I have watched the Spy Who loved me for some  motivation! 

• Like 1

I've got a pair of those rubber cam cover gaskets that Gary Kemp sells ready to fit. Although mine have never leaked a drop I am going to replace the cam covers for a pair I've had powder coated as the old ones have the paint flaking off them. I also need to sort out my o/s rear caliper as it sticks when you leave the handbrake on and is annoying me. Although it's always been like it I haven't found the motivation to fix it :( Then there are the electric windows... oh dear!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

If it ain't leaking don't fix it!

my electric windows work perfectly. I found the magnets can go in the motors which reduces the torque, assuming the rest is adjusted correctly? 

The motors have been remade for the corvette and are identical, they cost me about £100 delivered from US.

• Like 1

Really the best documented!

Fabian, do you have some pictures of the routing of the wiring loom in the engine bay?

thanks 

Cor

I'm having trouble finding pics. The wiring follows the same route as the Turbo. As you look at the bay from the rear it goes to the right and passes through the body. Then under the deck and around to the lights. It's held by P clips back to back, with a screw through the body and a nutbon the end between the two P clips. Quite a cheesy method! Some of the loom peels off onto the chasis then acrossnto the Alternator. Mostly self explanatory an the wires arntblong enough to route the wrong way. Good luck.

IMG_1757.thumb.JPG.f0a0bb723ff5d5bce932ff02a6ccabeb.JPGYou can see most if the wiring is hidden.

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.f42ac3dc97b82af434813307d4f3220c.JPG

Here's the Turbo. The wiring is very similar it's riveted with P clips under the lip then passes through the bulkhead, so you can't see it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well a couple of years since I built this. So far it's been very reliable always starts hot IMG_6768.thumb.PNG.fc481753775b45512b2da44ecd4ac125.PNGor cold and no electrical problems or overheat problems. Usual maintenance required, greasing etc. Now of course MOT exempt and soon road tax exempt. Found this picture recently, 1976 the original sub!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally decided to fix the oil leak on the cam shaft cover. I drained all the oil out. Then I have cleaned meticulously with gasket remover and brake cleanervthe surfaces on the engine and cover. I intend to use a paper gasket and apply a 2 mm bead of silicon sealer to the outervpart of the gasket and cover. Then I will bolt it up leave it 24 hrs and then torque up. Not sure how well this will work, but it can't be as bad  as before! Then I'll complete an oil and timing belt change and a service. Not had much time as I'm working on the other one!

Well gasket is fitted. I used silicone RTV732, 2 mm bead. Tightened it just over finger tight. Will allow it to set and torque again tomorrow. 

All done, I hope! Will test it for leaks over the next few days. Has anyone got a close up picture of the pipe to the coolant expansion tank? In particular how it is routed and fixed?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Watching car SOS and seeing the electronic instrument display I think its excellent. I'm considering going one better and making the electronic display transform to the original underwater sub display as below. When I finish my current project I might start this one.IMG_1204.thumb.PNG.a33befe8f121bdddc8ae59409e110855.PNG

• Like 2