Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 82 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

52 minutes ago, omegaman said:

Do they bend towards the screen because they are painted on one side and can't expand as much in the heat ? Would be interesting to paint the back and see if it stops it bending as much. 

They're not painted. They're solid white plastic.

They tend to bend towards the Perspex cover ie towards the driver. Fortunately mine are OK.

• 9 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
19 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Well ten years now of ownership. The S1 has never failed, so far. I decided its time to fix the sticky needles on the speedo and now the rpm. I am going to use the spacer method. Think the car is trying to tell me something though!

I did think of pulling the needles of and using resin on the rear to stiffen. Trouble is they are fixed very tightly. There is a tool for removal, but I am scared to try it!

I did my speedo last year and added spacers and the rpm needle is now sticking even with the spacers. I don't like the idea of modifying the needles in case the extra weight affects the readings.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

With the bend they have the spacers would have to be thick. I may pull them off with a tool. I was thinking of using polyester resin painted with a very small brush. Several layers only on the needle back. Don’t think this would add any significant weight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

I was thinking of using polyester resin painted with a very small brush

Might the polyester-based resins melt the needle?  Would epoxy be better?

Pete

• Like 2

On 24/04/2023 at 10:25, EXCEL V8 said:

Might the polyester-based resins melt the needle?  Would epoxy be better?

Pete

Thanks good point! I am thinking of using rapid setting arraldite. Applied very carefully. 

Update

Will Andy (White Turbo) on here helping we found play in both the intermediate and lower UJs. The lowr UJ was new and only lasted 1500 miles! Steering column I rebuilt is better than the new one, so will refit it! 

Veglia managed to removed needle by twisting against the stop very carefully. Have now bent back the needle. Its seems to bend back out when re heated. So plan to roughen the rear, curve the needle inwards and put a bead of epoxy on it. I think spacing the glass is a temporary repair and I don’t want to do this again. It is possible to push the needles on a little further than they were. 
will report back in a few years as to how long the repair lasted! 

• Like 2

At the end of last summer my rev counter needle was sticking on the glass even with spacers but now it's gone back on its own. It's obviously very temperature dependent. 

Perhaps I should sell the car quick whilst it's okay!

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Haha 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Just remembered it was working fine until I spent a whole day on the hottest day of the year filming the Bond Vivant Lotus at the Top Gear Track. The extreme heat must have bent the needles.

Ok so you can’t twist the speedo needle off as it has no stops. So here is my homemade removal tool. Use the two screws on the face to pivot off and the slight ridge on the needle edges. It was really easy to get off! Both are done and I have replaced one. Very thin layer of epoxy on the rear. I have fitted the needle  as close to the face as possible so it just clears the two screws. There is about a 3 mm clearance to the perspex. I think I will make it five with some 2 mm spacers on the perspex. I plan to never revisit this, as its a pain to remove the binaccle (although a lot easier than the Turbo).

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5224.jpeg

IMG_5226.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Really interesting, thanks for sharing how you've achieved it Fab.

Like others, I have the same problem with my rpm needle which I planned to attempt to solve using the spacer and/ or heat gun method (credit to Paul for enlightening me). However I'm just too damn scared of damaging, or worse, breaking the dial, though that method sounds like it may only solve it temporarily now anyway!

I think I'll just live with listening to the sound of the engine to gauge the rpm for the time being.. it's a good excuse to enjoy the engine noise and keep the wife quiet!😄 

Nu

• Like 2

The problem with any restoration is that ultimately you're destroying something along the line somewhere. Original is always best, sometimes even if it's not working too well.

You have to ask yourself if it is better to leave alone, correct or repair enough whilst retaining it's original condition, or dive in with the risk you may take something away whilst adding some improvement elsewhere.

Whatever you do with these clusters, those needles and gauge facias are fragile and easily marked. I would be very reluctant to touch them unless absolutely necessary.

Its a worry, but have to say easy with the two metal bits. Do be put of by what look like marks on the display. It needs a clean as there is residue from my fingers where I roughened the rear of the  needles and cleaned so the Epoxy would bond. The marks were already on the display, its 40 years old. The camera I use is excellent. To the naked eye the dials look very good. As I said before I don't wish to revisit the problem. My mantra now with these cars is to improve the design flaws so it is reliable and drivable. I will report back after a few years. At least there is a solution now. I plan to glue the spacers of 2 mm to the rear of the perspex. They will be invisible from the front. I have also strengthened the binnacle where the plywood has seen better days.
i am disappointed the new steering UJ only lasted 1500 miles!  

We are facing a problem with these cars. After 10 years of constantly building and modifying I have some skill now in repairing them. The parts being supplied are sub standard an in some cases not even the same dimensions as the originals. An example of this is the gearbox cross shaft O seals. They are the wrong size so gearbox oil seeps out on the gear change cross shaft. I am minded to fix every defect. To this end Andy and me have replaced the O rings with X seals bonded into the gearbox with silicone. Leak fixed! X seals are far more effective at sealing a shaft than an O ring because there are two points of contact. 
Its a worry when the steering column I rebuilt 10 years ago is better than a brand new one. I have wasted hundreds if hours fitting substandard parts that I have had to remove. My Turbo was as good as one could be. My project here is to refine this car until its as good as it can be. I can’t justify an engine rebuild as it runs very sweetly, but when the time comes I will upgrade it with the best possible build. Its all about trouble free and enjoyable driving for me.

Those fascias mark very easily and are not easy to find. The Perspex front is available new from SJ Sportcars.

And you don't need to tell me about cameras. They're my business.

How much steering have you done to knacker a new UJ??? It sounds like your problem is elsewhere, like with your door gaps which were not down to the rubbers but the shims it seems. The chaps at Killey-Clinton in Digbeth, Birmingham will be able to advise, they built the racks originally when they worked at Burman.

Checked the geometry?

You're right about some none OEM parts being substandard, but there has been no problems with my transaxel seals, and I have driven mine nearly 3,000 miles since rebuild. I think I obtained the parts from Voights.

1 minute ago, Fridge said:

Those fascias mark very easily and are not easy to find. The Perspex front is available new from SJ Sportcars.

And you don't need to tell me about cameras. They're my business.

How much steering have you done to knacker a new UJ??? It sounds like your problem is elsewhere, like with your door gaps which were not down to the rubbers but the shims it seems. The chaps at Killey-Clinton in Digbeth, Birmingham will be able to advise, they built the racks originally when they worked at Burman.

Checked the geometry?

That is a new perspex from S and J. Its nothing like the original quality.well its was 10 years ago and has not had much use! 1500 miles have knackered the joint. I consider any play unacceptable, although it might be ok in some peoples minds. The geometry on this car is as good as it can be. If you look back through the blog you get an idea of how much time I put in. I have spent about 2000 hours building the Turbo as well. The new door seals are different dimensions and stiffer rubber , as I have proved back in the blog. They put much more strain on the catches than the originals, until they eventually deform to the door shape. 
the anti roll bar bushes on the Turbo are also totally wrong. They are too soft. Torquing the end nut to the manual spec results in a very wobbly steering wheel! They must be tightened to stop. I could go on but you get the idea.

1 minute ago, Fridge said:

You're right about some none OEM parts being substandard, but there has been no problems with my transaxel seals, and I have driven mine nearly 3,000 miles since rebuild. I think I obtained the parts from Voights.

I don’t use Voights having endured a very unprofessional experience with them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Its not the transaxle seal in this case its the gear selector cross shaft. Andy and mine both new rebuilds leaked. The seals were wrong. 

The problem with these sorts of leaks is the drips appear somewhere else like the sump plug. They are difficult to locate. I would say anyone who has three pints of MT90 and new seals will have a leak at the gear selector cross shaft, but it will look like its the sump plug or something else as the oil runs t9 the lowest point.

Voights did have a funny attitude when I called them. Business is business as we say in the trade, but like some other outfits they don't get that.

Still never had a problem with the gearbox seals. Though I didn't refurbish it. That might be my gain.

Again, my door seals are OK too, but I made sure they were banged in hard with a rubber mallet as per folk's advice who work in production. Perhaps yours were a bad batch? A few of us had problems with new SU fuel pumps failing with zero miles, just static tuning due to faulty manufacture (admitted by SU).