Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora S as daily driver? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S as daily driver?

Stephan90

The sat nav on the 2014 Evora S I bought is absolutely fantastic. I mean, really good. There are a lot of weird and difficult interchanges here in Dubai, and when it gets confusing it puts up graphic signs that replicate the motorway signs on the screen to tell you exactly where to go. My only complaint is when the reversing camera is on, it puts up a warning "do not exclusively use reversing camera" or something like that . . . and it takes up a portion of the rear view that I would much rather be looking at than this ridiculous warning. The difference between the Alpine in my 2010 and the Alpine in my 2014 is night and day. The one in my 2010 wasn't even crap--it simply didn't work.

Oh . . . and I've been keeping my car outside in the insane Dubai heat for 2+ years with no problems.

What model is the new Alpine unit?  Would it be a straight swap?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have driven mine approx 10000 km now since I picked it up earlier this year. Been using it partly as daily driver whitout any problems. But a few things are worth to keep in mind. Miles per gallon is not impressive for a daily driver, but still ok for an entusiast car. It does have an appetite for rear tyres, and if you happen to run the Design wheels it comes with a price. Mine had to be replaced after 9000 km. Rear view is limited, so if you drive a lot in cities it might be an issue.

Highways are very comfortable in the Evora, true GT car (and very different to the Opel Speedster I had some years ago). The only issue I can think of is that with 19/20" combo it gets rather sensitive to poor roads.

Having a 2+0 it also has lots of loading space!

What model is the new Alpine unit?  Would it be a straight swap?

The Alpine INE-W920R. It is very good. Like the 505R with Blackbird it incorporates the Satnav, Bluetooth etc rather than having separate modules. From memory apart the mic and a different link harness it was a straight swap for my 505R.

The fact that I drive RX8 enthusiastically should tell you something about how much I care for fuel consumption ;)

The car will only be used for leisure (or should I say pleasure?) as I commute by foot. I was never concerned about the drawbacks of a sports car. I was concerned about possibly massive reliability issues and stuff like that. Apparently that doesn't seem to be the case.

I had more probs with the RX8 than I've ever had with the Evora: rusting boot lid, flooded engine needing recovery making me miss work, loss of engine compression due to worn rotary tip... the list goes on. 

Evora? A-pillar trim A-pillar trim A-pillar trim A-pillar trim A-pillar trim A-pillar trim... And the boot wouldn't open once, but I fixed that myself. 

The car will only be used for leisure (or should I say pleasure?) as I commute by foot. I was never concerned about the drawbacks of a sports car. I was concerned about possibly massive reliability issues and stuff like that. Apparently that doesn't seem to be the case.

Evora's work fine everyday. I'd imagine the S is even more useable than the NA. Evora's are great at 20mph as well as the high speed stuff. The niggles (like Sat NAV issues) are minor and the overall build quality and power train are solid. Remember it's hand built so don't expect Japanise cabin perfection. The odd ripple in leather gives each car it character ;-)

To drive an Evora everyday is a non event in terms of reliability. Porkers and Beemers have just as many snags... The Evora's are well documented and can be fixed under warranty.

It's an amazing car. Do it!

I'm still looking for a good deal. I have an offer for a white IPS S but price is not right yet. I'm not terribly bothered about colour and what not but I want a MY13+ because of the warranty. Also not too keen on the IPS. In my mind it is almost blasphemy to put an automatic in a car like that but I have not driven either.

A lot of people seem to have had problems with Rx8s but I never had a single issue worth mentioning. I never broke down and flooding is only an issue if you don't warm up the engine before shutting it down. In fact I think an rx8 teaches you how to take care of your engine.  Most people never bother to check engine oil levels. If you drive an rx8 you are used to check it fairly regularly :D

As an example: 

Check out the water temperature. Yes fine he doesn't rev it hard but is that really necessary? Why would anyone do this?

Edited by Stephan90

It is good to see that there seems to be a lot of people moving from Mazda Wankels to Lotus...Myself included.

The Mx-5 is a copy of the Elan and the Mk-1 Rx-7 is supposed to be a copy of the Elan +2, after all, so why not go for the original.

Getting back to the topic, mine is not a daily driver but rather a fun car for Sundays where the family is more than welcome. It just makes the day trip much more enjoyable as you just get to and from your destination much quicker than in other cars and with a big smile...I have used it as a family car with no issue, even packing luggage for a full week of holidays (ok, being wise in the choice of clothes... :-) )

Let's see how she ages but, so far, the Evora is proving at least as reliable as (if not more than) my BMW and slightly less than the Mazdas, which are really bullet-proof. And the Evora is far more enjoyable!

I am looking for an Excel LHD now to replace the Rx-7. :-)

Quote "In my mind it is almost blasphemy to put an automatic in a car like that"

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha, everyone on here rates the IPS, so it can't be that bad :-D

Congrats, it's very nice!! You'll love it to drive and to own. Good colour for the Sports Racer, I like it ;-)

The car is in Hethel now so I figure it is their workshop? I was asked if I want it delivered or if I wanted to pick it up and have a factory tour. Factory tour it is but now I have to decide to take my girlfriend or a friend of mine.

Yeah it is a 2+2 but I don't want to subject either of them to a 2:30h drive home in the back of it lol.

For insurance do I just go to confused.com or is there something better? I was quoted 1700 with 'achoice' which seems reasonable. It is the first car that I insure in the UK (drove a foreign car here), so I am not terribly familiar with the procedures. I do have a full UK license.

I'm at Hethel today, I'll keep an eye out for it! For insurance, if you become a full forum member on here there are 6 insurers who offer discounts of up to 15%.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I was with Admiral last year.. They did it for £490. CCI this year for £980 (including 6 track days)

Lotus HQ tour, an Evora S.. Your buying the way Carlsburg would buy an Evora!!

I am intrigued by the clip of the revving Evora IPS,when the ignition is turned on it goes straight to rannge, mine (manual) always goes to kph speed reading, is there a way to fix what comes up on the screen when you start up? I know its a small niggle but I would rather see range or mpg and have to scroll through the menu every time.

Oh and congrats on the new car Stephan - you will love it

Edited by j2 lot

You must have a strange software version. My Evora S (2911 manual) stays wherever it was when I turned off the ignition.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!