Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
September Spa/Ring trip - Page 3 - Trackdays - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

September Spa/Ring trip

Mark Allin

V6 Cup tribute acts very welcome Stu ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist! You'll be having the last laugh on the Belgian motorways!

Paul, fingers crossed you can make it, we're short of a Burnt Orange Cup and no discussion in the Pistenklause about left foot braking would be complete without you ;)

:thumbup:  

• 1 month later...

Some typical 'Ring mayhem as inspiration for the trip!

I noticed a couple of things,

1. OK, the Exige missed a lot of apexes, but the McLaren didn't even break a sweat keeping up.

2. You can see why big power cars set fast times at the 'Ring.

The guy in the Exige would benefit with some tutoring from "the Belgian Stig" ;-)
That said, damn those guys are dare devils, I'm afraid I dont't have the courage to do anything nowhere near that...

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

:ice:  cool video! Lovely ass to follow..  

I noticed the exige hitting kerbs like he was in full attack mode. This is really something to avoid if you don't want to replace your springs every few trackdays. There's only few seconds to win doing it, and this guy is still a while from record territory...

The mclaren was only at half throttle during most of the lap. Sometimes you saw him waiting (flugplatz), probably cause the exige couldn't find his 4th gear ^_^ been there done that and I hate it. It always happens when you're overtaking somebody and then you just keep struggling side by side, you see the other "thinking".

Looking forward to this trip. :D Let's hope it won't be crowded like past sunday as I heard.

We're hoping to get some 'familiarisation' laps in on Saturday evening and then start early on Sunday but we can expect a little 'Ring madness on a public day. The Cup car in the video looked to me like it would benefit from softening the dampers a bit for the 'Ring. Looked very stiff. He hit the curbs pretty hard early on and then did a good job of missing apexes after that.

The McLaren was disturbingly quick up the hill after Karussell. He reels the Exige in so fast. But as we know car journalists have been doing the MP412C a dis-service comparing it to the Ferrari 458, in reality it's quite a bit faster, I don't think any of them had the nerve to admit it in public, Ferrari would not have been pleased.

Any Exige V6 owners wanting to feel better about the speed differential to the McLaren might like to see this:

Waky are there any tyre dealers that can supply either Trofeos or Avon ZZRs near Spa, out of interest?

Best time to drive will be from 8 till 9 am not to get much traffic. But then you have to deal with a partly damp track..

About the tyres, not a clue, I would have to google as much as you to get that info. But you'll probably have them cheaper in the UK anyway no?

I agree the Cup is a bit ragged but in race mode you can bugger up a corner and still get bailed out and on the power early. He has cojones though.

The Cup was amazing at the Ring when Farook and I went in July, though we got a puncture and had to put some horrible replacements on and grip just fell away. A match for a GT3 though for sure, even if not a McLaren.

See you at Spa. I will be playing the part of Lewis Hamilton.

I prefer to think of it more as 'Cup Lite' :) :)

Hotel booked (Tiergarten) , what Chunnel time outbound are people booking?

Hi Stu,

We have had to book the 07:20 out and have booked a 21:50 on the way back on the 9th.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Hi Stu,

We have had to book the 07:20 out and have booked a 21:50 on the way back on the 9th.

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

8.20 for me but I'll get there early to see if I can get on earlier one.

All travel together or meet at the Ring?

Black n gold

I'll do my best to go for the 7.20am with Trevor but for me that will mean staying near Folkestone the night before. I'd need to leave home before 4am to make a 6.50am check-in. Don't much fancy that!

Think I'll probably stay near Folkestone the night before either way so happy to get going, especially if it means having time for a decent lunch!

I think it's a good idea. Happy to give them a call this evening. Table for four or will there be plus ones?

Which Chunnel are you guys aiming for? I'm still booked on the 8.10 but have a flexi ticket. I recommend going for the 'over 1.85m' carriages too.

Table for four sounds good to start with :)

Booked on 8.20 but will get there with enough time for Starbucks finest brew. Over 1.85 is a good idea.

Should give plenty of time for lunch en route somewhere!

Black n gold

Good idea, who's in charge of looking into a place for lunch? Trevor?

I've booked the Pistenklause for 8pm on Saturday night. Tempted to do the same for Sunday night too but that's being really unimaginative!

Great thanks!

I've stopped in Tienen, in this square (50.807413,4.936928) for an event only because its a couple of hours from Calais and a bloody great square so lots of space. Usual cafes/brasseries dotted around edge,

Otherwise I've only stopped at the services after J20 just before Brussels. Don't drive through Belgium much, too much mayo on everything for me :) 

Perhaps Waky can recommend an area?

Black n gold

As before I am booked on the 08:20 and couldn't get on the over 1.85 as they were sold out for that category and time. We are ahead on time so would be nice to stop at Tienen for lunch as it looks enroute. Good call with the Pistenklause and in my car there willbe Mickey and I. Have we got more coming with us? Though Mallin and Bibs were coming along?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Mark and Farook are only going to Spa. Bibs I hope is still able to come, if so that's 5 for the Pistenklause. I've booked a table for 6 in case Stu has a +1.

Happy to set the satnavs for Tienen as long as we get to the Ring in good time, so we can get checked in and buy our laps etc after a chance to stretch our legs before the NS opens at 5pm.