Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit V8 project - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit V8 project

I don't think anybody could be accused of hiding behind their keyboards here. The opinions are valid and no one has made a single offensive comment plus you've received lots of praise for the quality of your work.

It's a forum, we all love the brand and what you're doing is controversial so it's interesting and evocative so you should be proud of that and not get shirty.

What they said. You're well aware that your project will not meet with universal approval but the only keyboard warrior in this thread is you. People are allowed to disagree and discuss with you without being called names. Just because you don't like someone's opinion neither makes it wrong nor should they be worried to offer it. If you don't want any discussion about your car, you should not have posted in an online discussion forum.

Please readjust your attitude and you'll get on much better here.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

So if someone spots a potentially dangerous issue with your car you'd prefer it if nothing constructive was said and comments were left to general chit chat or sucking up. Ok.

Ooh it's lovely colour.

Ok had a bit of a rant yesterday, was in a foul mood!
How to have a bad day.
1. Drop a large 17mm socket from about 3 feet above you car, It makes a really great massive chip out of your paint, bodywork!!!! Ooo looks like its was metallic blue at some time? not the way I had in mind to find out if it had a colour change.......
2. Find your car covered in grinder tailings, I now have rust growing in my paint!!! who says fibreglass don't rust mine is!
3. All my air solenoids are now leaking air from a joint inside the body, took one apart and bong little spring fly's out with a tiny ballbearing, the bearing I found but the spring went in next doors drive, yes they have gravel! still took 20mins with a magnet to find it, and still have no idea of a easy fix to cure the leaks.
Bad lucks been trying to break me all week, its starting to win! Really P*SSED off.

So if someone spots a potentially dangerous issue with your car you'd prefer it if nothing constructive was said and comments were left to general chit chat or sucking up. Ok.

Ooh it's lovely colour.

no I welcome constructive comments, but does feel like some comments are just thread bashing, and not to just single out one comment but to say my disc brakes are near as bad as the ones that have more holes than disc did get my back up. I knew from the start posting this thread on my car would cause some negative comments, it does seam very strange to me how some of you keep your cars so stock to the letter, if lotus sold it fitted with deck chairs, you would replace the deck chairs with new ones when they needed changing! My rear bumper is made of wood! that is so wrong! but hey lotus did it that`s cool..........yes my spelling and grammar is crap. I will finish my car the way I want it, and I will finish the thread and post more pictures, and yes no doubt I will get p*ssey over comments, that`s just me, like me or hate me just like my car.

I don't think anybody could be accused of hiding behind their keyboards here. The opinions are valid and no one has made a single offensive comment plus you've received lots of praise for the quality of your work.

It's a forum, we all love the brand and what you're doing is controversial so it's interesting and evocative so you should be proud of that and not get shirty.

its just how I am, putting this thread up is like putting your neck on the chopping block!

Been reading through this post as it is very interesting .. but you really don't need to be so defensive, these are just opinions at the end of the day.  There are some very helpful members here willing to go out of their way to help other owners out and that is something you don't find everyday.

Be sure to know there are many of us reading this thread without posting comments and looking forward to the new content :)

and this is coming from an owner with a wooden bumper and looking to replace his lotus deckchairs with new ones haha :)

• Like 2

Vin Taylor

What they said. You're well aware that your project will not meet with universal approval but the only keyboard warrior in this thread is you. People are allowed to disagree and discuss with you without being called names. Just because you don't like someone's opinion neither makes it wrong nor should they be worried to offer it. If you don't want any discussion about your car, you should not have posted in an online discussion forum.

Please readjust your attitude and you'll get on much better here.

I agree to disagree, I don`t think I called anyone names as such? and if I have upset anyone, then I am sorry this is me. I do have an attitude, just like my car some people may not like what I say as I sometimes don`t like what they say. I have a dry sense of humor and can also be very sarcastic, and negative. If you like my car and you like my comments then will will get on, if not then we will always clash. That`s life, I am not easy to get on with! Regards

if lotus sold it fitted with deck chairs, you would replace the deck chairs with new ones when they needed changing! My rear bumper is made of wood! that is so wrong! but hey lotus did it that`s cool..........

erm....... but they didn't?........ 

See, you yourself are implying that retaining originality at all costs 'is so wrong'...... no one here has said (well I did, but jokingly) that what you're doing is wrong..... they've simply added their opinion to the stock pot.

some people may not like what I say as I sometimes don`t like what they say.

If you like my car and you like my comments then will will get on, if not then we will always clash. That`s life, I am not easy to get on with! Regards

Jesus..... you aint kidding

I was going to offer a group hug..... but you, my boy... are excluded from the reach around

• Like 1

Been reading through this post as it is very interesting .. but you really don't need to be so defensive, these are just opinions at the end of the day.  There are some very helpful members here willing to go out of their way to help other owners out and that is something you don't find everyday.

Be sure to know there are many of us reading this thread without posting comments and looking forward to the new content :)

and this is coming from an owner with a wooden bumper and looking to replace his lotus deckchairs with new ones haha :)

no worries, bit stuck at the moment have lost a huge amount of pictures on the front suspension and its kind of ruined the flow.

So its going to have some large gaps missing which is a shame as some of the work can not be photographed again. will do some updates tonight.

anti-roll bar all painted up, new poly bushes and hardware at ends

antirollbar_zpsc29acba5.jpg

Mine is a 1981 model so had the horrible trunion upright, all fixed now with a Canley classic setup. Still not perfect as the lower mount has issues of rocking in the lower arm, and no rubber boots to protect the bearing. Can`t say I am 100% happy with it but it will do for now until I fit the latter arms and uprights. I have the uprights so if anyone has some lower arms going cheap?

canleyclassic_zps1fbd2ea3.jpg

Ok so lets get to the ball ache of the front suspension, lost lots of pics so will have to make do with what I have.

Front lower arms, I cut the lower rubber spring seat off to mount the air spring direct to the lower arm.

001LOWERSPRINGSEAT_zps0021dc99.jpg

So far things are looking good, platform perfect size this is going to be too easy, or so I thought.

002LOWERSPRINGSEAT_zpsf1b7f996.jpg

Still looking easy, all though top mount looks tricky as no access to bolt the top mount.

005TRIALFIT_zps578d8cf4.jpg

Here is when it all starts to go pear shaped, raising the lower arm to check suspension travel things go to shite!

006FRONTBAGWRONG_zps73fbe18c.jpg

This pic you can see the angle is all wrong.

007ANGLEWRONGWHENLOW_zps27b0551f.jpg

Even the dampers clashed with the lower spring seat. Just like me and the forum members. Easy boys just adding some humor!

004DAMPERFOUL_zps3afad125.jpg

Even cutting access for the adjuster don’t help as the air spring also hits the adjuster.

003DAMPERFOUL_zps2c7c8d45.jpg

I also found the front Protec dampers still longer than my original front items, Steve at sjsportscars was great in taking these back, and a Special set was ordered. This took ages and when I did get them they were still wrong! hassle I didn’t need, Gaz sell them on ebay so brought some.

These turned out to be wrong again!!! They were not the type or size I ordered!! Fcuk wits! Ok so lets get them fitted regardless, wasted way too much time. Near 2 months.

008GAZGOLDANDBAG_zpsf6bd83cd.jpg

Top spring seat again had to be hacked off, and inspection hole cut in chassis to gain access to top mounting bolts, this was a total arse and still is a nightmare to do the bolts up. I am not happy with it and will look into a better solution another day. Loss of photos again so gaps again.

009BAGANDGAZFITTED_zpsde941dcd.jpg

Lower arms, cut the spring seat off completely and now using the coilover to mount the bag, cut hole to gain access to anti-roll bar nut.

Ever fitted the anti-roll bar to a 81 Esprit? If so you know what a total sod it is! This hole makes it a piece of cake.

la3_zpsa35c7f5f.jpg

Canley classic lower joint tacked in place, she`s not going to move now, also helps put some strength back into the arm.

la2_zpsad6a9779.jpg

I also welded the top of the lower arm to box it up to make it stronger as seen in the arrow highlight.

la1_zps9301621c.jpg

Top arms just touched the air bag, this again was a lot of work to fix. They are pressed plate steel.

First I boxed the outside.

TOPARMSOUT_zpse35675dc.jpg

Then had to cut the inner section out, hence why I welded the outside first. I welded some tube half into the arm.

They are now double skinned and boxed so should be stronger than the originals in my opinion, no doubt some people sure to chime in if they disagree.

TOPARMSIN_zps55bebd65.jpg

Not pretty but they work, new bushes fitted. Not really happy with the homemade look. Will get some custom made latter.

TOPARMSDONE_zpsc1983809.jpg

People with a nervous disposition my look away close up shot of a dangerous disc brake. Sorry couldn’t resist! Did I mention I can also be a sarcastic fcuker!

discbrakeside_zps659471a8.jpg

Some heat shielding from the exhaust, twin 3” bore is not easy to route in a small space.

miniheatshield_zpsd2ae78b2.jpg

heatsheildbehindwheel_zps6925d58e.jpg

The rats nest! Still lots to sort out…….

ratsnest_zpsdbee6124.jpg

Water pump moved to the front, now electric.

waterpump_zps210aba74.jpg

That’s it for now……….

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Best conversion ever..... can't fault it.

speed through lightness...... or something like that :rtfm: .

kidding..... looks shit

kidding..... looks ace

I don't know what's real anymore !!!!  :cry:

• Like 1

to help let some of the heat out, I have twin exhaust pipe work and twin exhaust boxes in place of the original one so its all a bit tight.

That`s why the wooden bumper section has also been cut out, (Yes Lotus made the bumper out of wood!) and also the hundreds of holes drilled in the bumper. I think I may have a fetish for holes?

Ok for those still interested, after work today got the switches wired up, I made this panel to go in place of the stereo I won’t need one my entertainment will be bellowing out the tailpipes! I have one switch for each air spring, and one master which will do all four, and compressor on/off. I also have a digital display panel for tank pressure, and each bag so will be able to fine tune the system, I know this has caused a lot controversy and people to believe this is going to handle like crap? But to be honest I really don’t know? Never done it before and it looks pretty cool to me. I like a challenge and to learn new stuff. Some people have said that they ride crap, some say they ride fantastic, way too much hearsay on the internet so wanted to find out myself. I don’t plan on driving it really low like some do, that’s the most likely cause of them riding crap as they are probably riding on the damper bump stops. Also some are not set up right with all four springs separate; some have them in pairs like front and rear, essentially making an independent suspension like having two live axles (backward tech in my eyes and never going to handle right?) I have changed wheels on cars many times over the years and going up a wheel size has always made the ride harsh. I have adjustable dampers and adjustable springs it has a chance of being a good drivable car, if not I have never closed the door to going back to the springs it came with. You never know it may be epic! Or drive like a dog like when I first got it. Had a little play with raising and dropping the car today was great fun and looked cool!

It gave me a bit of a boost to crack on, as I am struggling with motivation with many things not going right at the moment, and taking too much time to do. Especially in the hot weather. also forgot how low the cars is after having it on stands for ages!

SWITCHES_zpse23c2663.jpg

Air Zenith OB2 Air Ride Suspension 12v Compressor 200PSI 

All-new 2nd generation OB2 compressor- 200psi max. working pressure, 100% duty cycle, 3/4 horsepower moisture and dust resistant heavy-duty motor. 

Entire unit is fully rebuildable with patented Interchangeable Piston Technology coupled with industry's best 2 years warranty. 

The fastest 12volt air compressor you can buy! 

Specifications:

Voltage: 12V DC 

Working Pressure: 200 PSI 

Air Flow: 4.25 CFM

Duty Cycle: 100% @ 200 PSI 

Max. Amp Draw: 35A 

Motor: 3/4 HP 

not the cheapest option, but one of the best  I didn`t want to run twin compressors, due to weight and space.

Did you see the under bonnet pic? not much room to work with.

I've just replied to this build over on RetroRides forum and now have just read this thread here. Very interesting to see the difference of opinions in the two forums. Obviously on RR you will get very positive comments as modification is common place in the community there and I've noticed a varied reaction on here. It's great to see you posting in the two forums and particularly here, I know that the guy with the other bagged Esprit, as far as I know doesn't post on here anymore which is a shame as his engineering skills are fenominal and his build is truly inspriational. I look forward to seeing this car on the road, I expect it to be even better in real life!

I did see the under bonnet image. Thats quite a beast. Those cylinders are quite big so I thought youd need a fair amount of air to fill em quick. 3/4 horses is quite a bit of power. Will you only run them once the car is started or do you have to have 2 batteries?

Just curious. :thumbup:

Buddsy

The car battery works fine, and the bags fill really quick! like just a couple of seconds quick! it also drops really quick too.

Have posted on other sites and had really good feedback, people in the air ride scene have given it a big thumps up, which is really great. I hope to get it out to some meets when its done so may be you will see it in the flesh, and welcome to have a ride.

I've just replied to this build over on RetroRides forum and now have just read this thread here. Very interesting to see the difference of opinions in the two forums. Obviously on RR you will get very positive comments as modification is common place in the community there and I've noticed a varied reaction on here. It's great to see you posting in the two forums and particularly here, I know that the guy with the other bagged Esprit, as far as I know doesn't post on here anymore which is a shame as his engineering skills are fenominal and his build is truly inspriational. I look forward to seeing this car on the road, I expect it to be even better in real life!

yes is a shame, I think I may have just weathered the storm now and we seam to be just getting along, have just commented on the fact about over forums have been positive. I hope so thanks.

• Like 1

I think it's a great project you are doing Rob. Personally, I would have taken a later Lotus v8 although some say they go bang, some don't. Never mind that. But it's allways interesting to see someone doing some out of the box thinking, and then make it real as well. I would renovate the original engine and make a stand for it, and put it in the living room as decoration, because it's a nice engine. And it's nice to have an extra engine ;)

Best wishes,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I would be in the purist camp but agree that it's your car and your money to do whatever you want with it. I really hope you're happy with the end result.

Has anyone ever tried to fit the Lotus 918 V8 unit to a Giugiaro? If I had to fit a V8 it would have to be that one. Might be a bit lively though!

What happened to all the pictures?