Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
And Yet Another Restoration. . . - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

And Yet Another Restoration. . .

algirdas

Dear All:

I figured I better start a new topic for my 1974 Lotus Elite restoration. Interesting history for the car. More details to come (including pictures).

Today's stupid question: Where does one stow the jack? I see that the jack handle and lug wrench go under the boot board. But where does one stash the jack?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

• Like 1

wooo hooo. Good to see another restoration starting... and remember you must post progress regularly.    :smoke:

So what needs doing? as far as the jack question goes I haven't had to tackle that one yet. soz!

Dear All:

The fuel system is coming along. The SU fuel pump has been re-built and is ticking like a pensioner's pacemaker. The gas tank has been boiled and the exterior has been painted with Eastwood rust inhibitor. It looks ugly, but it will not rust (at least from the outside). The fuel line has been blown clean and various BSPP fittings and AN-6 fittings are making their way to me from the farthest reaches of the planet as I write this. i have decided to convert the car to Dellortos from Strombergs as a temporary measure before going the extra step of a distributorless fuel injection system.

On to the cooling system. I have learned the hard way the car was rebuilt and filled with water instead of anti-freeze. The car has sat for many years and I believe it froze at least once since the core plug behind the number 2 plug is gone. The copper "Y" fitting has corroded and disintigrated into copper shards. I took out the radiator today since it will need to be boiled clean. When I took out the radiator, I could not help but notice it was flanked by what looks like plywood panels. They are nicely blended into the car and painted the body color. Is this normal? I am beginning to have my doubts about the restoration the prior owner did when I found the radiator hoses where spliced together with galvanized water pipe (complete with NPT threads).

Should I be checking the car for termites? I am a really average mechanic, but I am a truly pathetic carpenter.

Sincerely,

Algirdas

I am beginning to have my doubts about the restoration the prior owner did when I found the radiator hoses where spliced together with galvanized water pipe (complete with NPT threads).

Should I be checking the car for termites? I am a really average mechanic, but I am a truly pathetic carpenter.

Sincerely,

Algirdas

Necessity is the mother of invention...

The problem with taking on an unfinished restoration or a car that has been maintained by an enthusiastic amateur without the cash to do jobs properly is that you get these inventive solutions. They don't do much for the long term value of the car or it's likelihood for survival.

With my restoration I have not found any major restoration bloopers yet but I have no idea why someone would go to the effort of taking the body off and not restore anything on the chassis and just paint everything in hammerite. meanwhile I'm trying my upmost not to add my own!

yes the plywood is referred to as the "crash structure" believe it or not!

And the elite won a safety award when it came out(!) easily exceeded all the tests, I read somewhere they were able to do all the tests on a single car because it held up so well.

Hard to believe but there you go.....

Dear All:

In going through the cooling system, I came across something interesting.  With the radiator out of the car, I decided to bench test the cooling fans.  Hooking them up the same way as far as the color coding on the wires is concerned, one spun counter-clockwise while the other spun clockwise.  The engraved arrow indicates counter-clockwise rotation is required for both.

This car is riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma-and the workshop manual is not the key!

Sincerely,

Algirdas

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All:

I figured I better start a new topic for my 1974 Lotus Elite restoration. Interesting history for the car. More details to come (including pictures).

Today's stupid question: Where does one stow the jack? I see that the jack handle and lug wrench go under the boot board. But where does one stash the jack?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

Best of luck with the restoration and welcome to the Forum.

My answer to the 'stupid' question is:

My solution is to place the jack and lug wrench (I think that is what you call it in the US) inside the spare wheel wrapped in an old hand towel to stop any rattles, the addition of a pair of work or disposable latex gloves would be handy to keep your hands clean if you have to change a wheel. Then place the spare wheel , jack etc inside a substantial plastic bag loosely taped to keep out the road dirt. Mount to the car with the face side down, job done. The winding handle clips to the floor of the boot under the carpet as intended. You may have to replace the clips mine had rotted away.

Best of luck with the restoration and welcome to the Forum.

My answer to the 'stupid' question is:

My solution is to place the jack and lug wrench (I think that is what you call it in the US) inside the spare wheel wrapped in an old hand towel to stop any rattles, the addition of a pair of work or disposable latex gloves would be handy to keep your hands clean if you have to change a wheel. Then place the spare wheel , jack etc inside a substantial plastic bag loosely taped to keep out the road dirt. Mount to the car with the face side down, job done. The winding handle clips to the floor of the boot under the carpet as intended. You may have to replace the clips mine had rotted away.

In addition to my last post. The jack is supposed to be housed inside the battery cover if you have the original.

I was poking around in the boot of my car today and think I found the battery box  since it has a slim compartment for a scissor jack? however it's my of fairly chunky wood! is this right?

Yes, the box does look very amaturish made of odd strips of bead and hardboard.

Mine is in good condition but needs refettling and new carpet. My plan eventually would be to make a new one out of thin ply wood using the old one as a pattern.

I did have a little trouble with which way it fitted until I found a very good illustration in the official workshop manual.

It shows the slot for the jack laying horizontal across the top of the battery. There is also a picture showing the early type rear wash water bag fitting down the side of the battery.

I have found new replacement washer bags available on Fleabay at around a tenner for a full electric kit and mountings. Very good value.

There appear to be various sizes, capacity and makes available I have not figured which is the best as yet.

oh I just assumed that the rear wash wipe would come from the front like modern cars... will have to check that

They are separate.

Up to now I have no idea how the original rear wash operated was it electric or hand pump operated as all I have is a pipe going to the jets from the battery area. There are wires around the battery but they seem to be connected to aftermarket relays.

Perhaps someone could enlighten us please.

I do have a separate green rocker switch on a panel to the lower left of the steering wheel that I have not a clue what it operates. I would like to know what this switch does too.

I do have a separate green rocker switch on a panel to the lower left of the steering wheel that I have not a clue what it operates. I would like to know what this switch does too.

in most occasions it is an overrun for one radiator fan :)

in most occasions it is an overrun for one radiator fan :)

Now that is interesting. I never thought of that.

Before my purchase the car had sat outdoors in all weathers for 7 years and nearly all switches and ancillaries are not working or seized.

Even after the super summer, when delivered in August the footwells were 1/2" deep in water. I envisage serious electrical problems from damp.

I need to study the electrics at a later stage, at the moment I am working through the running gear.

• 9 months later...

Dear All:

The project is progressing albeit slower than I like. We are starting reupholstery. Everything is coming apart nicely except the covers on the front seat backs. How do you get the seat covers over the headrests without destroying the seat covers?

Sincerely,

Algirdas

I don't know how Lotus did it, but I saw on a 'Supercars - How's it made' Bentley use a vacuum bag over the sponge, the bag practically squashes the headrest as flat as a pancake, they then slip the headrest cover over the sponge, let the vacuum out and hey presto you have a perfectly formed seat with headrest. You probably don't have access to a vacuum bag but some how you need to squash the sponge small enough to get the cover over it.