Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I'm new.... just bought a Turbo Esprit 84 - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

I'm new.... just bought a Turbo Esprit 84

S-Sprit

Hi,

I'm new.... just bought a Turbo Esprit 84.. fair condition...

Pardon my amateurish questions pls....

I'm very new to manual cars, especially coupe ones... been drving auto since i got my license...

i realised the gear shifter seems to be very hard.. it requires quite a bit of strength to change to shift and change gear... is this normal?? i mean, i am comparing to a typical 4 door japanese car.. it seems so much much easier? And the clutch is very hard too, which i suppose is normal... so, is the gear box possibly faulty? or is it like that?

what are the other problems to look out for? I love the car, but it doesn't look very easy, and safe to drive... argh... and the hand brake is located so far out,... wondering how you guys managed when car is stationary at red light during steep slope... ?

hope to meet new friends here! ...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi welcome

im not a 84 esprit expert, but if its anything like my change (97) then the clutch will be heavy and the gears are very short and direct, you will get used to it, i hated mine for 2 weeks, wanted to sell it, but after that i loved it.

let ppl you know try the the clutch and box (ppl that drive manual) and they will tell you its nothing like a normal shopping car lol

best pedal is on the right,,,,press that and all your worries will go LOL

p.s. are you in the uk

if so get down to stonleigh on sunday if you can, we will all be there, just dont talk to fish he is southern LOL.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Welcome,

Reckon you need a new crossgate cable ( goes from under gear stick to gearbox) that will give you slick gearchange, clutch may just need adjusting. Best get a proper lotus mechanic to look at it. Dont know where abouts you are in the world? let us know and we can recommend someone to you.

Regards.

Don't listen to Karl he's an ig'orant impoverished norverner! :(:)

Both Mark and Karl have Renault Gearboxes on their jellymoulds that pass for cars! :P:)

Our MAN cars have the Citroen Maserati transaxle and yes it can require some armwork to shift around. I've recently been told they improve with new crossgate cables and having the linkage set up properly but ultimately, YES it's heavy and 'positive' rather than these horrible, wishy washy, consomm

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

My cars gearchange has always been positive and notchy (in a good way) :o

Of course the effort to work the clutch and gearbox were never in the Japanese light enough for a Geysha girl to use category. :o

Now the gearchange on a M22 Muncie rockcrusher , thats heavy :)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Welcome! Any pictures of the car? Good choice by the way! Nice and wedgy! :o

Handbrake is only awkward when you have to climb over it other than that it is just the same as having it in the centre.

My gear shift is shocking, like stirring a lumpy milkshake :) but it is just a case of spending some

banner-1.jpg

and the hand brake is located so far out,... wondering how you guys managed when car is stationary at red light during steep slope... ?

The pedals are close enough for you to work both with your right foot! :o

Welcome to the forum!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Good choice about buying a G- car (later on if you stick long enough, you can see the armegaddon battle of G-cars (Giugiaro Design) and S-Cars (Stevens) duke it out!)

I recommend doing research on your car.. go to www.lotusespritworld.com for some info.

P.S. buy the way, is your Carb or Fuel injected? Expect lots of problems with your car! :o In a good way!

Good choice about buying a G- car (later on if you stick long enough, you can see the armegaddon battle of G-cars (Giugiaro Design) and S-Cars (Stevens) duke it out!)

I recommend doing research on your car.. go to www.lotusespritworld.com for some info.

P.S. buy the way, is your Carb or Fuel injected? Expect lots of problems with your car! :o In a good way!

Now

Now,

They are not problems, they are fantastic oportunities to gain a greater understanding of your car, your physical health and mental balance- being double jointed, haning limbs of varible length, the patience of a saint (or is that a saint on tranquilisers?) can help immensely.

I've got 2 G-body cars, but one has the late gearbox and cable set-up, the other is an '84 (not turbo). The gears are quite different in selection between both cars.

Congratulations on the purchase, don't forget it's beter to ask how to do something, there's bound to be somebody done that bit of work who can help, even if the question is How do I get to polish the sub frame with Autoglym as the galvinisation is a,little bit dull?

I'm sure having looked under his car last month Troy polished his sub frame.

Welcome fellow '84 Esprit owner!

Yes, the gearchange is notchy and a bit stiff compared to a Japanese car. I'd also say the clutch requires more effort to operate, too, but just a bit more.

As for starting off on a slope -- if it's very steep this is a problem because the handbrake is useless unless you've got the arms of an orangutan. I've not been very successful being able to use my right foot to apply the brake and feed in power simulataneously while letting out the clutch.

Do you have maintenance records from the previous owner? First order of business is to find out when the timing belt was last changed as you don't want that to break.

These cars are very good and a lot of fun, however. Under 3500 rpm, it's not that exciting a car to drive, especially in city traffic. On the open road and at high revs, the car is amazing. Also, I personally think it's a difficult car to drive well. Others in my Lotus club who have racing experience and who are talented drivers amaze me with how much better they can drive my car than I can. Still, it has made me a better driver - a smoother and more deliberate driver.

As for safety, they've done very well in protecting the occupants. Remember, as a mid-engine car with a low polar moment of intertia, you can spin if you brake or upset the weight transfer in a fast corner. If you're a talented driver, you can catch it and slide it around, but you've got to have the skill. Also: just be very, very careful in the wet!

-Dave

Edited by mr50bmg

All Cows Eat Grass

Hi Andrew - Welcome to the club :o

Got an '84 as well. Post some pics and let us know where you are located.

Fire away with the questions - I've posted plenty dumbass questions when I got here and everyone's very cool :) As mentioned, go to www.lotusespritworld.com and read everything. Twice. Have a good look in the G-car technical section here and you should be able to find just about anything you need to know.

An Esprit is a bit of a different beast to drive. The clutch on mine is very light - the gear change is a bit notchy and you have to be a bit assertive. Yours might need a bit of adjustment, new bushes etc... Very normal so don't worry about it.

It'll take a few hundred miles behind the wheel, but after that, you'll be amazed at what you can do in one of these cars :o Very forgiving and pin point accurate. Enjoy your new toy!

Welcome to the Forum!

I've just bought an S4, and was also a bit appalled by the gearshift/clutch experience.

However, since m'very good friends at Paul Matty Sportscars changed that nasty red plastic clutch pipe for a decent braided steel version, it's been a whole lot better. In fact it's now good enough for me to drive comfortably in bare feet (which is the only way I can avoid hitting 2 pedals at once).

Of course it's never going to be as easy as a Nissan Micra gearchange - but you wouldn't want that, would you? I mean - you've just bought a Lotus Esprit...

Ben

welcome to the gang, lets see some pics and where in the world are you

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Welcome to the forum and may your esprit ownership be a pleasant one :o

enjoy the car and im sure you will get used to all its bad points and learn to live with them :) as the good are fantastic :lol:

regards danny :blush:

A

Cooee! from Oz - welcome :blush:

must...see...pics...of...cool..car..., can't...hold...breath...forever.... :lol:

my gear shift is great, nice and notchy. The clutch would be fair to say is heavier than an old Carolla I had years ago - bit of an apples and oranges comparison I realise (this is why I don't write for car mags).

Iain

Hi

I had the same problem with gear selection when I brought my 83Turbo. 2nd gear and revearse were real buggers. I even managed to snap the original chrome gear lever trying to get it into reverse and I've not found a replacement yet (get a horrible black lever now). I even spent

Hi & Welcome to the world of esprit ownership

Yes, these cars are very different to drive, & I was told it would take a while to learn to drive them properly & get used to all those little idiosyncrasies, like the handbrake.

Jeremy Clarkson once said " In order to drive an esprit you have to brake your legs in three places in order to operate the peddles".(Top gear road test of Yellow S4 v white man van in diesel astra van.)

But once mastered, & of course when all is working, then they are a joy to drive.

ref your Gear change, it sounds like your cross gate cable to me, do you find it difficult to go from 3rd to 4 & back? Also I would consider re vamping your gear linkage, as any wear in this system will not be forgiving. & if this has not been touched in 20yrs, then there is bound to plenty of wear.

I did my whole system, bushes, braided hoses ect (also have the SJ rose jointed cross gate mod) when I rebuilt my gearbox last year, made a hell of a difference. Gear changes are little notchy but precise with it. I usually blip the throttle as well when changing, but all these gears should be easily selectable. Inc rev, but I find I cannot rush into Rev gear.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus