Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
RTR's V6 Exige S - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

RTR's V6 Exige S

rwlevans

Hey guys, just want to share our currently tuned Exige S that is making 473hp. Goal is to get 500 on a stock unopened motor which will easily be done with few more extra mods.

Here's our current modification:

- Haltech Elite ECU (piggy backed)

- Flex fuel sensor

- ID 1000 injectors

- Walbro fuel pump

- Smaller pulley that makes 6 psi boost

- Water to air cooler kit

- Janspeed muffler

- Air intake

Next mods 

- custom fabbed RTR stainless manifold 

- hi flow catalytic converters

- possibly 8 psi pulley

Here is the dyno graph

Blue line is stock with only - muffler, intake and cooler kit.

Red line is all the mods mentioned on 98 ron fuel 

Purple line is on E85

post-17475-0-75778400-1416260438.jpg

post-17475-0-93057700-1416260472.jpg

• Like 1

The first one with a charge cooler! Now, that is Cooooooool.  :clap:

Keep the news coming.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Just curious,what air intake do you have ? 

alloy hard pipe with K&N

Am I late to the party???  :unworthy:

Next question: what about the gearbox?

And last but not least... can we plz have some more pics!

So far the gearbox is holding, already did one track day......I assume the clutch will let go soon.

Are you running an increased RPM limit with the E85?

yes it is, I could have increased it on the 98 fuel and would have still made decent numbers.

Edited by rwlevans

The biggest issue with these cars is the factory drive by wire.....the throttle plate doesn't open 100% therefore it drops top end power. Just by having full control over the throttle body the car will produce 40 - 50hp increase.

I'll soon post up some build pics.

Currently i'm in the process of making 400hp, 450hp and 500hp kit.

The hardware will be all bolt on and the ECU is plug n play ready to turn key.

Edited by rwlevans

Interesting what you've noted with the throttle butterfly, and equally if not more so, worrying that Lotus would release a car whose throttle didn't open 100%

Why would they do that? It would seem very bizarre...!

Have you witnessed this on more than one car? I'm just a bit surprised someone hasn't spotted or mentioned this before!

Nice work though, a 500bhp engine would be a lot of fun!

Chunky Lover

Simon makes a good point and I bet all V6 owners reading this will be wondering if we are getting full throttle and if not then what's the reason? Are we able to check ourselves?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Lotus have done this before regarding the throttle. I remember when I had my old Exige and was told the following:

- 220bhp version had a max throttle opening of 65%

- 240bhp (Performance pack) version had a max throttle opening of 85%

- 260bhp (Cup version) had a max throttle opening of 100%

I'd imagine that the standard V6 is throttled back and you can increase this with supporting upgrades....probably an option from Lotus in the future!

If the non 100% throttle is standard on all the v6's then I suspect there is not enough fuel pressure/flow for 100% opening with the current setup? Maybe it gets a little breathless on the low boost when wide open.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I'll have a look. Do you think there is a reason for not having full throttle?

Trevor.

This trick is being used by Porsche all over the models.

Take the new 991 and Boxster/Cayman S: exact same engine; 350hp for 991; 315 for 981 S.  Difference marginally due to intake plenum (size) and predominantly due to butterfly opening.  IIRC, Boxster S was at 85% compared to 100% on 991.

This leaves room for the 981 GTS versions with 330hp.

As to why Lotus *might* be using the same technique:

- gearbox?  

- future upgrades in the Exige/Evora roadmap (eg the 400hp versions).

Wrt running lean with stock pump and injectors:

That 2GR-FSE engine for sure is capable of a lot more power than the 350hp; and in fact the "easiest" way might be the throttle butterfly opening.  Don't think that running lean with stock hardware will be any issue, as on WOT the Exige V6 is already running VERY rich at 9.8 AFR WOT.  (dixie, tell me how I know :harhar:  ).

Now that I think of it, running a bit leaner would already give some more ponies.

Edited by Milton1

This trick is being used by Porsche all over the models.

Take the new 991 and Boxster/Cayman S: exact same engine; 350hp for 991; 315 for 981 S.  Difference marginally due to intake plenum (size) and predominantly due to butterfly opening.  IIRC, Boxster S was at 85% compared to 100% on 991.

This leaves room for the 981 GTS versions with 330hp.

As to why Lotus *might* be using the same technique:

- gearbox?

- future upgrades in the Exige/Evora roadmap (eg the 400hp versions).

Wrt running lean:

That 2GR-FSE engine for sure is capable of a lot more power than the 350hp; and in fact the "easiest" way might be the throttle butterfly opening.  Don't think that running lean will be any issue, as on WOT the Exige V6 is already running VERY rich at 9.8 AFR WOT.  (dixie, tell me how I know :harhar:  ).

Now that I think of it, running a bit leaner would already give some more ponies.

Indeed the Exige certainly is not running lean  :scooter:

Increasing the throttle opening will not bring much unless you get rid of the stock air intake at the same time.

Komotec gets 20HP (difference between stage II and stage III) lust by exchanging the airbox. Well, they also modify the tune, but that is just to compensate for the higher airflow. 

I've already asked Komotec if they are aware of the limited throttle opening.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

I've already asked Komotec if they are aware of the limited throttle opening.

Daniel does not agree!  According to Komotec the throttle does open 100%.  However,  the OBD interface shows this as ~80%, but that is irrelevant. 

This is the exact mount for the MAF sensor,I bought one to make my own intake but I'm using a BMC filter...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151407221457?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

This is the BMC filter I will use:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281122625931?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Hussain Alzubaidi said:

Hi guys 

Any update on the throttle opening.

I was told this by a tuner.....

If you’re reading TPS over OBDII I don’t think it works on a 0-100 scale. The Lotus Scan tool can read several TPS channels which are all on different scales. There is a safety redundancy built into DBW throttles where you have 2 sensors working on different scales. If they stray too far away from each other you get the ECU shutting it down and putting it into limp mode because its not sure which one it can trust.