Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Steering uj replacement - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Steering uj replacement

Hi chaps,

Right, this winter I have to solve my irritating steering vibration once and for all!!

Everything in front of the steering column is fine...balancing, tracking, rack etc so it has to be a uj issue. New rack fitted earlier this year before the alpine jaunt didn't sort the problem and in changing the rack the front uj appeared to be fine so I'm banking on the uj further up the column. I gather it is a little tricky to swap so looking for some guidance. Mat K also mentionned that the pins which hold the column in place (the ones designed to snap in a crash so the column is moved out of harm's way) also wear and that might be an issue...any experience with this?

Symptoms are a constant vibration though the steering wheel and column brrr brrr brrr brrr at whatever speed but more evident at lower speeds, but also the whole car seems to vibrate. I can hear the ladies begging for a ride :P

Need to get this sorted over winter as the next trans euro trip is already planned for next year!

Look forward to your thoughts and advice.

Pete - Shaken, not stirred.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete

Just to amplify my conversation with you at Stoneleigh, I have the "worn pins in steering column" (that's what Pete at PNM tells me) but I don't get vibration, only play in the steering.

Pete tells me the pins are made of molten plastic poured in on the production line that then solidify. They are designed to snap on impact allowing the steering column to deform for crash protection. They normally wear when people are rough with maintenance around the Steering UJs and rack. Applying pressure to the column presses against the plastic pins which then deform. This is all from Pete. Apparently you can drill out the plastic and insert metal screws or pins, but you lose deformability so any accident could result in damage to you!

Moral of the story is be careful with your column if you're bashing about with the UJs!

My new steering column goes on next weekend, can't wait!

Edited by matkutub

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I can't think why the steering could cause vibration, even if there is a little play. Steering UJ wear is very uneven since they don't really turn much. when they go, they tend to get stiff in places not loose I think. Could be flatspots on tyres (when I balanced my fronts I still had vibration. when I replaced them with new tyres, presto vibration gone.)

but if you must replace u/js, they are pretty easy to get out. two ways of doing it, one is to put front of car on axle stands or lift, remove drivers side front wheel, remove nuts holding the the steering rack, remove retaining bolts holding the u/j and pull the bottom u/j off out of the wheel well. then remove retaining bolt on the upper u/j inside the footwell and push it off, take it up out of the footwell.

the other way as described in the workshop manual is to put front of car on axle stands or lift, remove drivers side front wheel, remove the retaining nuts&bolts on the lower u/j, loosen the bracket holding the steering column and pulling the column up an inch or two, then do the lower u/j from the rack and pull it off and out of the wheel well.

either method you shouldn't put too much force on the upper column or it could collapse which would be a b*tch

replacing is basically the opposite, but be carefull to make sure the u/j are at 30degree angle and the steering is at a 30degree angle (I think turned outwards), but well described in the w/s manual, or the steering feel will be badly effected.

I did mine a while ago and it didn't really remove the play in the steering, as apparently I have some play in the upper column which isn't bad enough to warrant replacement yet.

SJ does R/R U/Js but probably any drivetrain shop could do the same.

ps - hope you are not claustraphobic - undoing the bolts of the U/J in the footwell is the only exercise in my life where I've literally had a panic attack - sweating upside down, arms trapped engages the lizard brain

Pete, I suspect your vibration problem lies with your tyres or wheel ballance.

I would get them dynamically ballanced and checked for runout before getting into the steering components.

It can be quite surprising to see how an otherwise OK looking tyre can have damaged or flat spotted belts causing it to run out of round.

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hello,

About 1 year ago I replaced my steeringrack and the lower U/J. In order to disconnect the lower U/J from the upper I ended up cutting the lower U/J with my dremel, because after 15 years being connected they were mated for life. Basicically I cut a segment out of the upper part of the lower U/J where the splined shaft of the upper U/J is attached to. Be careful that you do not damage the shaft of the upper U/J if the U/J is still OK.

When putting everything back the workshop manual provides more than enough informating in order to align the U/J 's etc.

I should have replaced the upper one also because I never got all the play out of the steering. Last week I discovered the cause of it. There is some torsional play in my upper U/J and it is not in the bearings. There is some play where the splined shaft is connected to the lower part of the U/J. I'm still thinking if I should replace the U/J or have it welded. Any idea's are welcome.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Thanks for the info guys. So far since having the vibration there has been a new rack, lower uj checked (fine), new front tyres, tracking, balancing. the problem hasn't been removed or changed during all this so all I can think of is the final uj. Will let you know!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hmm, I'd go with Wayne on this, I replaced my lower steering UJ 12 months ago - it was a sloppy fit on the column & caused a bit of play on the steering wheel. No vibration at all with this, just the bit of slop. New UJ cured it of course.

What sort of vibration have we here ? like an out of balance wheel, or a high frequency sizzle ? (Bushing).

Personally I'd have the wheels / discs / bearings / susp. mounts checked again especially as you say the whole car gets affected - something big is shaking around here to cause that.

Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Just to let you know, I got the new steering column put on by PNM today..... WOW what a difference! All play gone and believe it or not the steering has lightened up and feels so much better.

The old one was in a right state, had obviously been knackered in the past and then welded up. Most of the plastic pins I mentioned earlier were snapped and the old column fell in half when it came off. I would def recommend having yours checked out.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

And, Mat you bought it for an absolute bargain!

I believe they still have 3 left if anyone's interested!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

And, Mat you bought it for an absolute bargain!

I believe they still have 3 left if anyone's interested!

I am - but afraid to ask what a 'bargin' is - Christmas 'an all

Who do I ask?

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Dag nam it! Too slow. Apparently there are none left at Lotus. :D

Mr Kimbers, any chance you can confirm. The reply I got from Aidan was:

'Good afternoon

I am sorry to say but this part was made OBSOLETE in 1996.'

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009