Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hi from me a hopefull Lotus Elite owner - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Hi from me a hopefull Lotus Elite owner

TheQK1

Hi

Great to be here on the Lotus forum :)

I'm going to look at a 1977 Lotus Elite 83 504 tomorrow. Does anyone have some wise words to share?

I have attached some pictures.

Thanks

post-18432-0-71560900-1423146981.jpg

post-18432-0-41994100-1423146984.jpg

post-18432-0-30562200-1423146986.jpg

post-18432-0-21163300-1423146988.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice.

The alloys look after market and where's the airbox/filter gone?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Yip I have noticed the rims and air filter as well.

I have to date restored a 1970 Rover P6 3500, 1967 Land Rover Series 2 SWB and a 1966 Triumph Spitfire MKIII. Can't wait to get my hands on a Lotus!

I know finding parts here in South Africa might be a problem, do anyone know if parts are still available in the UK for this Lotus model?

I would like to restore her to standard if possible :)

Thanks

Cor! Sod standard that looks great!

The wheels look perfect 70s style additions, and if it is a repaint (odds on) the previous owner has gone to the trouble of doing the engine bay, instead of "blacking out" as the easy option. I reckon a pair of chrome bullet or Engelmann mirrors and the outside's done.

You's want the airbox on there sharpish though to stop crud getting in the engine, it can't be running too well either is it? There are dozens of cars being scrapped over here by Lotusbits, or SJ sportscars sell new ones I think.

More pics please, and bigger :flower:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I will only see the car tomorrow. I will take some more picture and post them here.

Not sure what the interior or paint condition will be! But no worries "I WANT IT"!? The guy wants 25,000 South African Rand for the car about 1000 - 2000 BP. Not sure if that is a good price?

I know that the car is running but will check inside, out and underneath before I make an offer.

Hold thumbs that she looks like in the pictures and is worth the money as fixing a car here and importing parts with our "GOOD" exchange rate might leave the kids hungry!!!

Thanks

Edited by TheQK1

Fingers crossed for you, the price sounds fine, not sure how your climate treats mild steel as a common fail over here is chassis rust which can be hard to see.

You'll get loads of help on here if you decide to take her on.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Werner. :welcome:

II love Elites, the more pictures I see of them. It does look nice. Hope it all works out. :)

Any questions or issues using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks a lot guys :)

Ok, so first things first I'll need a air filter box and filter, and does anyone know of a set of rims or have a suggestion of an aftermarket that will look the part on the car?

The climate is great here and rust is normally only a consideration near coastal areas but even then cars do not rust easily here. I have a list of things to check rust is on there.

Will post some more once I've seen the car this morning. ooh where will I find a workshop manual for the car, I tried a local car book importer yesterday and he could not find anything for the Elite! I think Wikipedia said there were only 1500 made?!

Great to hear from you all !!

Hi Werner, and welcome.

It does look good in that green, so hopefully you'll be coming home with it later today!?

Don't know about the elite, but for my esprit I find the parts list generally more useful than the workshop manual. ( when coupled with the expertise and knowledge available from forum members, anyway).

Joining as a full forum member gives me access to that list, but not sure if there's one available for the elite....Bibs?

Good luck with it :-)

Had a good look at the Elite today. A complete spray job will be needed as well as the interior need some extensive work. The engine looks good and all parts are there. Some minor carb adjustments are required.

The under carriage looks stunning, very clean with no rust at all :) I'LL TAKE HER thank you.

The Elite has no papers so I'll just make sure there are no surprizes and then pick her up next week if all is ok.

Will first do all mechanicals, then re spray, bits and pieces then off to do the interior. It seems to be the original colour and I'll stick to keeping her as original as possible.

I'll send updates as I progress (with pictures) as I had limited time today and did not take any pictures :(

• Like 1