Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacement second hand ecu - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacement second hand ecu

• Gold FFM

Has anyone replaced an Ecu in their esprit with a unit out of another gm car?

What should you do once the memcal has been fitted??

My esprit has had a second hand unit fitted - today I got freescan running... Previously idle a bit rough and had high 1600-1900 rpm idle when warmed up and driven for a while.

I have reset the blm and Aic ( although that looked ok in the settings ) the idling is MUCH better and general drive smoother. Is there a process that should be gone through on resetting / fitting a second hand Ecu unit from another car?

Only here once

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cross ref list I have states

GM / AC Delco 1228707; Chevrolet 16198267:    Electronic control unit (ECU) ( Delco fuel injection) From Pontiac Grand Am 2.3L DOHC 4, 1988? 1989-91 Olds Cutlass, 2.3 DOHC L4 PFI “D” LD2, “A” LG0, (exc. “W” body) From ID = 2549, non-SE

GM / AC Delco 1228708:    Electronic control unit (ECU) ( Delco fuel injection) 89 Quad 4, 1990-91 2.3 DOHC L4 PFI “D” LD2, 1990 2.3 DOHC L4 PFI “A” LG0 (“W” body) From ID = 1479, SE

I do believe the Lotus memcal needs to be soldered in, perhaps Vulcan Grey can verify. And, I don't know if your European "S" ECU is same as a Chargecooled (SE) or Non-Chargecooled (Non-SE) car.

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I will check the number later. Thanks

The po fitted the Ecu to get it running - previously had the no start fans running shagged Ecu problem.

But I think it may well be critical to the process that the Ecu is reset ???

Don't know if it's soldered in or not - I haven't seen but I thought they were just on a 2 row header thing that pushed in

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...

This is the GM / AC Delco 1228707 from a USA 89 (non-SE) like Barry's Esprit S.

IMG_0463.JPG

This is the GM / AC Delco 1228708 from the 89SE- GT3

P2031780.JPG

The MEMCAL cartridge snaps into the ECU, but the EPROM chip on the MEMCAL is soldered in.  If the MEMCAL is tested good on another ECU, then it can be swapped easily to another ECU from a GM source.  If the MEMCAL cartridge is bad, then either the EPROM needs to be replaced, soldering a new flashed one onto the MEMCAL, or if the ceramic package on the MEMCAL is bad, then the MEMCAL is bad.

MEMCAL

IMG_0470.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Travis - that is indeed my esprits Ecu.

Is there any source data anywhere for programming the proms. I'm sure you used to be able to buy this stuff - superchips etc..... But unsure if anyone still supports cars of this age - or is it all down to owners now?

Cheers

Barry

Only here once