Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 resurrection after 25 years in storage

This way there is no height adjustment though, I remember having to adjust mine down to get the shut right. Does anyone know the dimensions of the bolt? Believe it may be M7,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here is a picture of the socket combo that worked.

For anyone that has the same difficulty that I did:

- 1/4 inch uni-joint broke - need to beef to the next size up

- the mini socket ratchet goes over the pedal box assembly onto the other side - giving room to move

- From under the car you can access the rear of the bolt and squirt INOX or equivalent and blast it in with compressed air multiple times

post-18969-0-44922700-1433769364.jpg

Strap on the drivers side receiver running along the centre console however haven't chased to see what it leads to. Don't think it connects to the seat rails though. Looks original.

No battery cover - bummer as they look like an inobtainium part.

G'day gents

Any tips on how to remove the headlight pods?

I've removed the split pins. The bearings appear to locate the pin firmly in position. Do they slide out?

Cheers

Thanks. And one more question regarding body removal pls:

Everything is disconnected

Wedges inserted to assist with wishbone clearance.

I was hoping that by jacking up the body and leaving the chassis on the stands they would seperate however this is not happening. Do I need to apply considerable force to seperate the two?

Okay thanks for the pics Paul.

Can I ask is this the best way? A bit of an ordeal to set this rig up. I was hoping dear old gravity would work instead? Otherwise it's off to the tool shop I go!

post-4938-0-10375800-1434274325.jpg

Hi Roland,

Im not sure what set up or method you have to lift the body off and in my case i had all this equipment because i did this on my own!! wouldn't recommend it though. 

If you watch the factory video on you tube of them making the Esprit, they lower the body on the chassis front first, possibly to clear those bolts? 

Im sure the body will lift straight up as long as you clear the front wish bone bolts.

Any tips on removing the body? I've followed the PDF instructions to the letter.

I've had the rear off the ground. Nothing. I'm worried I'm going to damage the wheel arches.

How much force should be applied to seperate? Is this normal? Just don't want to break anything. Should I use a pinch bar?

post-18969-0-97874100-1434699651.jpg

Hi Roland

Im sure you have removed  all the bolts that hold the body down, thats the 3 bolts that are in the engine compartment, the 4 bolts that are behind the seats, the 4 that run along the tunnel, 2 in the foot well, the 2 under the bonnet and the seat belt bolts.

Is there any movement? 

paul

Edited by frix

Thanks Paul - followed the body removal pdf.

I did note there is minor fouling from the seat belt tube striking the fibreglass however this is minor. Small wedge here.

I can lift the back by an inch and that's it. So therefore culprit must be coming from the front.

Suspension bolts have wedges so it clears.

Both bolts are out of the steering knuckle. Do I actually need to remove the knuckle? If I do, do I loosen the steering column and push it back into the cabin? Therefore the male end of the steering column will slide out of the female end of the knuckle. Or is there another trick?

Thanks.

I believe you'll need to remove servo bracket and the pedal box (horrible job).

The body needs to be moved either forward or back to clear front wishbone bolts.

Disconnect handbrake cables.

'A pound of rubber is worth a Ton of engineering.'- Jim Endruweit quoting Colin Chapman.

Yes as Tom says the pedal box and servo bracket have to come off. I found I could get a socket with a u/j and extender onto the pedal box nuts on my S1 which made it a bit easier. Otherwise it's a quarter of a turn at a time with a spanner from memory.

Then slide the body forwards to clear the bolts.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I don't think anyone is going to put that on after the screen was fitted so assume original. My glass is original triplex etched.

No sticker.

'A pound of rubber is worth a Ton of engineering.'- Jim Endruweit quoting Colin Chapman.

Back to removing the body. I'm still having a bugger of a time.

Does the steering UJ need to be removed? Both bolts are off and the splines slide back and forth. However there isn't enough play to completely clear it. I don't want to remove the column unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks.

Id take it off, you need to check it anyway. Mark the shaft positions so they are the same when you put it back. Otherwise you have to phase the u/js, see my blog. Good luck.

Back to removing the body. I'm still having a bugger of a time.

Does the steering UJ need to be removed? Both bolts are off and the splines slide back and forth. However there isn't enough play to completely clear it. I don't want to remove the column unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks.

You shouldn't need to take the column out and with the pinch bolts removed, assuming the u/j isn't 'pinched' onto the shaft, you should be able to slide the u/j off. You may need to drop the rack down to its lowest point by loosening the 4 bolts which hold it onto the chassis. Or if you're as unlucky as me it will take you 2 hours with a hammer and cold chisel to get the b**tard off!!

If somebody has already removed the u/j they probably didn't phase them so I wouldn't pay too much attention to where they are right now as they may not be right. I'd just phase them when you refit it. The details are not in the S1/S2 manual you need to check the S3 manual I believe.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Worked it out. There must be a difference between the S1 & the S2. There's no mention of these in the body removal PDF which was written for the S1.

There are two bolts on each side behind the seat firewall. Hard to access. What a bugger I've only just discovered them - a week of late nights!

post-18969-0-87431300-1435998669.jpg