Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Reliability of the s1 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Reliability of the s1

richard100

My 1978 s1 esprit is coming home after 6 years of slow restoration...I am building a car port for it but would like advice on whether this will be good enough? I have a cheapish cover for it and obviously want as little damp as possible to get in... How often do other s1 owners find they experience problems when they are driving? I know these early models from reputation seem very unreliable!

Richard,

I am new to Lotus ownership but not to classic cars. In my experience you have to drive them and accept at some time you will be on the side of the road until you have worked through every bug or issue. I have been at the side of the road in an MGB, 205 Gti, Gordini Turbo in the past 5 years!

My S1 had not moved for 4 years and there was no history when I bought. I had it re-commissioned by a good a lotus garage and replaced or serviced everything could we thought could have gone wrong. Two weeks of around town driving the clutch master cyclinder went! However last weekend I went to Spa and back with no real (!) issues!

My advice drive it as much as possible, have a good torch, a mobile charger and the best AA cover you can buy.

And enjoy every moment, even the less than perfect ones!

• Like 2

that's true classic car ownership, breakdowns are part of the game...use them don't just look at them, by using them you can iron out the faults...but top be fair most old cars have known faults and you can plan ahead with spares and tools...easy peasey..until its 1 in the morning and your late for something...it will happen..

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Most covers will carry a warning to not let them get wet or be used in windy conditions as the cover can mark the paint. Not sure about the one that Bibs has in the shop.
My S4 is garaged luckily so I only use an auto mart cover on that.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Richard,

I am new to Lotus ownership but not to classic cars. In my experience you have to drive them and accept at some time you will be on the side of the road until you have worked through every bug or issue. I have been at the side of the road in an MGB, 205 Gti, Gordini Turbo in the past 5 years!

My S1 had not moved for 4 years and there was no history when I bought. I had it re-commissioned by a good a lotus garage and replaced or serviced everything could we thought could have gone wrong. Two weeks of around town driving the clutch master cyclinder went! However last weekend I went to Spa and back with no real (!) issues!

My advice drive it as much as possible, have a good torch, a mobile charger and the best AA cover you can buy.

And enjoy every moment, even the less than perfect ones!

Didn't see your S1 at Spa Classic last weekend. You could have parked up next to my '73 Europa Special and my friends S3 and GT3!

Great weekend, better than Le Mans Classic IMO.

• Like 1

Nick,

I saw you though.  I was staying about 50m from your place and drove past all the cars parked outside.  What a weekend, noisy, exciting engaging racing - everything that F1 used to be!  The group C cars were awesome - well with a trip if anyone is thinking about for next year.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Hi Richard

When I bought my 84 Turbo Esprit I had nowhere to keep it under wraps, so I bought a breathable cover. This was quite good (until my sister in laws dog ate it!) but did trap moisture underneath. In the end I bought the Autopoad from Hamilton Classic Ltd. It is quite expensive, but, I suspect, cheaper than a car port. It is basically a large, double skinned tent. I have secured it to some walls so that it does not wave around in the wind and find it very good. 

I did buy the fans that come with it, but have not connected them up yet.

I would recommend this - you also get a 10% discount if you buy it through Club Lotus! - I am not sure if TLF has the same arrangement.

Regards

Kevin

• Like 1

Nick,

I saw you though.  I was staying about 50m from your place and drove past all the cars parked outside.  What a weekend, noisy, exciting engaging racing - everything that F1 used to be!  The group C cars were awesome - well with a trip if anyone is thinking about for next year.

It was a great weekend, what a special place to see classic racing, even the weather was great.

You should have knocked on the door!

Maybe see you next time. Going to Hethel on July 5th?

Regards,

Nick

hi,

my advice would be to use an outdoor carcoon. they plug in, come with a trickle charger, and keep the car bone dry and dust free.i have one to store my elan on the driveway. they take a little longer than a cover to 'get out of' but are SO much better. the only disadvantage with them is that they will collapse/deflate even under minor snowfall. but if you can put it under a carport....no problem.

try to avoid covers, they will scratch the paint and trap condensation no matter how good they are. a fact I discovered to my own cost.

hope this is of use!

• Like 1

try to avoid covers, they will scratch the paint and trap condensation no matter how good they are.

They are particularly bad on GRP cars at trapping moisture - a friend was breaking his Excel after an accident, it was the first time he had used an outdoor cover, more to hide the shame of scrapping a car on the driveway possibly! It was on and off over the course of 6 months and was covered in blisters by the end. I would also be concerned that it will be especially bad on new paint which has not been cured for long

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Richard

I would second the outdoor carcoon. I have kept a metal shell in one for the last 18 months and when I put it in there some of the panels were bare steel. After 18 months outside it doesn't have any rust on those panels. I intend to store my Esprit in a carcoon in my garage over the winter months and the outdoor ones protect against UV which is good when you have the green/tartan interior like I do.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 weeks later...