Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
HKS SSBOV Video Clips for the V8 - Highway Racing - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

HKS SSBOV Video Clips for the V8 - Highway Racing

1st of all, who's silver V8 is this?

2nd of all, congrats...the Gallardo dude had his ass handed to him.

Now for the HKS SSBOV in action...

aRace on the highway as heard from a Z06:

Same race as heard from a Gallardo:

Hanging out with the local 350Z crowd has gotten me excited about this prospect for the V8. But my question is...does this BOV sound mix well with the European exotic exhaust note of the V8?

IMG_0538.jpg

Opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Will

Edited by 2003 V8 TT

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!! For once some REAL footage of what a Lotus sounds like and performs in a real race when decently modded. it shows that even these old V8 tts can still hang with the best of them. I wanted a Gallardo before but now im not so sure :) haha.

also, that V8 exhaust sounds AWESOME, very meaty, its probably just straight pipes and high flow cats. Honestly, I would prefer a much more stock like waste-gate type flutter over the HKS BOVs, I just don't like that whistle it sounds so .... well wussy frankly. Those old wastegate type deep flutters are much more aggressive sounding. just a suggestion.

WOW!!! For once some REAL footage of what a Lotus sounds like and performs in a real race when decently modded. it shows that even these old V8 tts can still hang with the best of them. I wanted a Gallardo before but now im not so sure :) haha.

also, that V8 exhaust sounds AWESOME, very meaty, its probably just straight pipes and high flow cats. Honestly, I would prefer a much more stock like waste-gate type flutter over the HKS BOVs, I just don't like that whistle it sounds so .... well wussy frankly. Those old wastegate type deep flutters are much more aggressive sounding. just a suggestion.

Hey guys, I just came across these...

V8%20WASTEGATE%20CAPSULES%20-03.JPG

http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/

Looks like P.U.K just came out with some new super slick high performance aluminum waste gates that are much better than the garbage stock units. its a tad bit $$ but it seems like a great alternative to the whistle type HKS ones. just a thought

Edited by bimmabimma

Looks like P.U.K just came out with some new super slick high performance aluminum waste gates that are much better than the garbage stock units. its a tad bit $$ but it seems like a great alternative to the whistle type HKS ones. just a thought

Both PUK Esprit and PNM do these re-buildable wastegate capsules. The added bonus is that you can choose exactly which spring strength to go for. I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Did someone call me? lookaround.gif

A recirculating dump valve won't have the whistle of a dump valve venting to atmosphere. Installation has alot to do with the sound. Replacing the wategates wont affect the sound.

Also, at the time of the video the car was running at a near-stock power level. About 345rwhp instead of the 380rwhp it is now.

Edited by gmendoza

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

V8%20WASTEGATE%20CAPSULES%20-03.JPG

http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/

These are the wastegate actuators and do not make any sound. The HKS dump valves are in addition to these and do whistle a little if left to dump to atmosphere. They provide and insert to make them whistle a lot which is not a great addition in my opinion or they can be directed back into the air box to silence them. I have tried the first two options and not the last yet. At the moment I stick with the whistle and dumping to the atmosphere.

cheers

-Chris

Hi Will,

I have these on my Esprit (along with twin intercoolers). I am in NJ now, but go back to RI pretty regularly. You are welcome to ride in and drive my Esprit to check out the sound. I know I get a "thumbs-up" on the track but can't say I hear much with a helmet on.

Stay well,

Paul

'01 Esprit - Intercooled, Chipped & Quaifed

'07 Hummer H3 - 315's & Adventure Pkg

pyodice@sbhcs.com

Did someone call me? lookaround.gif

A recirculating dump valve won't have the whistle of a dump valve venting to atmosphere. Installation has alot to do with the sound. Replacing the wategates wont affect the sound.

Also, at the time of the video the car was running at a near-stock power level. About 345rwhp instead of the 380rwhp it is now.

wow man, your car is awesome! :) . the power seems pretty amazing. what mods did you have when u raced the lambo and the Z06 exactly (you say near stock, what does that entail)? also did you do any weight removal? congrats on the awesome race, shows just how great these cars really are and how underrated they are.

EDIT: I see you have a 03.5 / 04 car, that explains why the car performed so strong, those cars supposedly came with MUCH more power from the factory as they were dynoing well above the prior V8 esprits, many say they already had the upgraded high torque software and a slight increase in boost to give them the new higher numbers. anyways congrats on the win!!

P.S. what you do to push it to 380? did it take much?

Edited by bimmabimma

Hi Will,

I have these on my Esprit (along with twin intercoolers). I am in NJ now, but go back to RI pretty regularly. You are welcome to ride in and drive my Esprit to check out the sound. I know I get a "thumbs-up" on the track but can't say I hear much with a helmet on.

Paul,

Great hearing from you. I hope to catch you at a local gathering soon! I've seen your setup and also taken some photos when your Claudius chargecooler system, A-pillar boost guage, and the BOVs were installed. Love the Chrono Magnesio rims combo...plus, I remember you having a Raid steering wheel as well. By far one of the coolest cars Mike's shop has cranked out!

Happy motoring, and catch you soon,

Will

Paul,

Great hearing from you. I hope to catch you at a local gathering soon! I've seen your setup and also taken some photos when your Claudius chargecooler system, A-pillar boost guage, and the BOVs were installed. Love the Chrono Magnesio rims combo...plus, I remember you having a Raid steering wheel as well. By far one of the coolest cars Mike's shop has cranked out!

Happy motoring, and catch you soon,

Will

Was that the blowoff valve from your car? or was it the ZO6? Sounds like it's coming from the ZO6 since it doesn't change in sound as the Esprit goes by(Doppler effect seems null in the vid if that's the case). Just curious.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Same race as heard from a Gallardo:

Hanging out with the local 350Z crowd has gotten me excited about this prospect for the V8. But my question is...does this BOV sound mix well with the European exotic exhaust note of the V8?

IMG_0538.jpg

-Will

Where did you get you bov valves and how much?

-Will

That was some great footage! I can't believe the silver car was relatively stock. I hear the Z06 was supercharged. I have been curious to see how a Esprit V8 would do against a stock Z06.

As for the BOV question, I have a pair of TurboXS RFL BOVs on my 98 esprit and absolutely love the sound. A tad ricer I supose, but it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when they release on an upshift. Enhancing the sounds is one way to make the car more entertaining without necessarily compromising safety or reliability. I also just installed the JAE cat bypass and straight center-exit pipes on my car. So far it is still on stands in the garage, but the sound is incredible. Can't wait to drive it.

I do recommend the upgraded wastegates, not for sound, but for anyone attempting to run higher than stock boost. The stock springs are only around 5psi and can leak.

Regards,

Rod

Rod

98 Esprit V8

Dynamic Racing Turbos

Water Injection

Factory Red ECU

3 bar MAP piggyback

Straight-through exhaust

TurboXS BOVs

Blitz I-color boost control + Wide-band AFR

Porsche/Getrag G50/52 Transmission (...coming soon someday)

FYI, the kit I'm looking at is from Johan's wonderful collection:

http://www.extremeesprit.com/Perf__Mods/perf__mods.html

Also, I believe of the three (actually four, if you count the final black Gallardo that made its showing) rides, the Lotus was the only one modded (based on the video title).

As for a boosted Z06. Don't think I ever want to run against one. Running a stock V8 against a stock Z06 was enough to humble me. I'd just like to be able to pull away from stock Modenas, Gallardos, and F430s.

Edited by 2003 V8 TT

FYI, the kit I'm looking at is from Johan's wonderful collection:

http://www.extremeesprit.com/Perf__Mods/perf__mods.html

Also, I believe of the three (actually four, if you count the final black Gallardo that made its showing) rides, the Lotus was the only one modded (based on the video title).

As for a boosted Z06. Don't think I ever want to run against one. Running a stock V8 against a stock Z06 was enough to humble me. I'd just like to be able to pull away from stock Modenas, Gallardos, and F430s.

I agree, no way that Z06 was modded. The fact that the esprit could still pull from those cars shows what a potent platform it is even 30+ years after it was first made, if that isn't a testament to british engineering I don't know what is :blink:

I agree, no way that Z06 was modded. The fact that the esprit could still pull from those cars shows what a potent platform it is even 30+ years after it was first made, if that isn't a testament to british engineering I don't know what is :blink:

The 1st video,

the car on the right with a gauge at the pillar is Z06?

If it is, do you think that gauge is for windshield washer ?

Ask the rice boys , they will tell you.

That gauge is not a mystery gauge but a boost gauge.

Why would a corvette put a oil, fuel gauge, egt, or afm gauge at the pillar?

Edited by HASUsan

Let me try to answer all the questions.

Both Gallardos are stock. The black one is an early Gallardo and the green one is an SE. The Z06 is a heavily modded C5 Z06, supercharged making over 600rwhp. The BOV was from my car though.

The mods on my Esprit now and at the time of the vid are:

Johan's ECU

Blitz boost controller

HKS blow-off valves

straight exhaust (2.5" mandrel bent with no cats)

upgraded wastegates

SnowPerformance water injection.

When the vid was taken, the water injection was not dialed in correctly and was spraying too much water killing combustion. So it was only making ~ 340rwhp. Now I have smaller jets on it and it runs much better

Also the BOV's are the ones from Johan as well.

Edited by gmendoza

Both Gallardos are stock. The black one is an early Gallardo and the green one is an SE. The Z06 is a heavily modded C5 Z06, supercharged making over 600rwhp. The BOV was from my car though.

Johan's ECU

Blitz boost controller

HKS blow-off valves

upgraded wastegates

When the vid was taken, the water injection was not dialed in correctly and was spraying too much water killing combustion. So it was only making ~ 340rwhp. Now I have smaller jets on it and it runs much better

man, i can't believe the Z06 could barely pull on you with ALL those mods. i guess it shows what a great package the esprit really is. awesome job! :blink: . how do you like the catless mandrel pipes? The exhaust did sound amazing in the video so they sound fantastic at WOT.

Okay, I thought the vid car was the Z06 and like HASUsan wrote that was no mystery gauge, I know that's a boost gauge and the vette was modded. If it was a C5 Z06, they usually make more in the neighbor hood of 700whp with a blower... 6psi kits which are very standard on Z06's will net 680whp, 8psi kits which use twin intercoolers make well over 700! I have installed 2 such kits on STOCK C5 Z06's on 92 octane pump gas made 733whp, and 741whp respectively! F'in fast, stupid fast. Problem usually is that these guys have more balls than brains and one of the vettes was wrecked less than a week after I installed the kit. And I thought perhaps the Z06 had the twin turbo kit on it and was using the HKS BOV's, Procharger, Vortech and a couple other SC kits use the Turbonetics Godzilla BOV which sounds like a helium tank blowing open.

Artie

Johan's ECU

Blitz boost controller

HKS blow-off valves

upgraded wastegates

Johan's ECU

Blitz boost controller

HKS blow-off valves

upgraded wastegates

Very nice performance considering the company... I've fallen completely in love with my Stevens esprit, even though it's not a V8, I love the style and power and the fact that you don't see them EVER! Beautiful car G!!!!!!

Artie

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

man, i can't believe the Z06 could barely pull on you with ALL those mods. i guess it shows what a great package the esprit really is. awesome job! :blink: . how do you like the catless mandrel pipes? The exhaust did sound amazing in the video so they sound fantastic at WOT.

Thanks, I love the exhaust although some may think it's a bit too loud.

Okay, I thought the vid car was the Z06 and like HASUsan wrote that was no mystery gauge, I know that's a boost gauge and the vette was modded. If it was a C5 Z06, they usually make more in the neighbor hood of 700whp with a blower... 6psi kits which are very standard on Z06's will net 680whp, 8psi kits which use twin intercoolers make well over 700! I have installed 2 such kits on STOCK C5 Z06's on 92 octane pump gas made 733whp, and 741whp respectively! F'in fast, stupid fast. Problem usually is that these guys have more balls than brains and one of the vettes was wrecked less than a week after I installed the kit. And I thought perhaps the Z06 had the twin turbo kit on it and was using the HKS BOV's, Procharger, Vortech and a couple other SC kits use the Turbonetics Godzilla BOV which sounds like a helium tank blowing open.

Artie

Very nice performance considering the company... I've fallen completely in love with my Stevens esprit, even though it's not a V8, I love the style and power and the fact that you don't see them EVER! Beautiful car G!!!!!!

Artie

Thanks. You are right. Many people have no idea what the Esprit is or what it's capable of.

The Z06 is Procharged; D1 I believe.

P.S. what you do to push it to 380? did it take much?

Do you think the life of the engine & Tranny will hold?

Just a question...I want to up mine too but kinda worry........

It depends on how it's set up and how it's driven. If you have detonation, the engine wont last long. If you abuse the tranny, it wont last long either.

Edited by gmendoza

Thanks, I love the exhaust although some may think it's a bit too loud.

Thanks. You are right. Many people have no idea what the Esprit is or what it's capable of.

The Z06 is Procharged; D1 I believe.

It depends on how it's set up and how it's driven. If you have detonation, the engine wont last long. If you abuse the tranny, it wont last long either.

how did u manage to run straight pipes, did you buy a kit from somewhere or fab them up in a muffler shop b/c most shops won't even touch cats if you ask them to remove them b/c of the legality issue. honestly if i could just run straight pipes and then return the car to stock before i sold it then i'd just do that, not waste my time with high flow cats and etc. just a thought. again awesome job, only thing i'd probably do is run aero turbine or magnaflow resonators actings at small mufflers to help refine the sound a bit, other then that... sounds sexy :D

how did u manage to run straight pipes, did you buy a kit from somewhere or fab them up in a muffler shop b/c most shops won't even touch cats if you ask them to remove them b/c of the legality issue. honestly if i could just run straight pipes and then return the car to stock before i sold it then i'd just do that, not waste my time with high flow cats and etc. just a thought. again awesome job, only thing i'd probably do is run aero turbine or magnaflow resonators actings at small mufflers to help refine the sound a bit, other then that... sounds sexy :D

I believe SP Engineering here in CA made the cat-replacement pipes and they installed the muffler-replacement pipes from Viking. I wasn't satisfied with the muffler-replacement pipes from Viking so I had a local shop redo those.

I was pleased that my Esprit was just as fast if not faster than a gen 2 viper, I don't launch the esprit, but I have in third gear ran off the line similar to this video and I found myself pulling on a gen 2 viper.. (450hpcar)

Esprit is just a gorgeous timeless car that is monstrously powerful.. The fact it pulls on a gallardo goes to show you, you just can't mess with the Esprit.

Edited by mamovaka