Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fitting PAS to an SE - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fitting PAS to an SE

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible/how difficult it is to retrofit a PAS rack to an SE HiWing chassis?

The chassis is off the car so now is the best time to do it but I don't know if it will fit - are the mounting points different? Are the removable diagonal chassis braces from the later cars needed to get the rack in?

I'm not worried about the pump or pipework, its just the chassis mounting I'm concerned about....

Cheers...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall Keen Young had this prolem when attempting to fix a totaled S4. The frame was shot so he got one from an SE. When we looked at the SE frame the mounting tabs needed to be welded on for the pas. Kylie has an 88 with ps. That is the only 88 that I know of that has ps. I believe a local mechanic did it.

You could potentially fit in one of the latest generation electric power assist steering racks in...I believe my Mazda5 has one. The advantage is that you wouldn't have to work about a power steering pump and all the associated piping.

-Chandra

91Se

Edited by chandrab

look here:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_pro...;action=product

appleton makes a servo driven rack that only needs 12v in, a set of inner tie rods to connect to rod ends, and a set of mounts fab'd up. $829 for the rack + another $100 for everything else and you have state of the art race car steering rack on your esprit. The honda s2000 and all of the electric/hybrid cars use a similar mechanism and many 2007 cars will have similar systems. I know for a fact that the s2000 system can be retrofitted to any car and has a smart computer so it can do variable assist. These can be picked up for $500-1000 from a wrecker.

just seems like a more elegant solution then messing with a pump, lines, and still spending $$$ on a good power rack.

Thanks for the help guys, I've later found out that you're right - the mounts for the hydraulic PAS Esprit rack are in a different place to the non-PAS chassis, so that makes it more complicated.

The electric PAS systems are easy to fit if you have the electronics to make them work - they usually need a road speed and engine speed input signal. The GM system (which uses an electric motor on the column itself) is the only one I know which you can buy a module for which simulates the car inputs. This is popular mod for some kit cars and grass track cars....problem is the systems cost about the same as a Lotus hydraulic rack!

Thanks for the help guys, I've later found out that you're right - the mounts for the hydraulic PAS Esprit rack are in a different place to the non-PAS chassis, so that makes it more complicated.

The electric PAS systems are easy to fit if you have the electronics to make them work - they usually need a road speed and engine speed input signal. The GM system (which uses an electric motor on the column itself) is the only one I know which you can buy a module for which simulates the car inputs. This is popular mod for some kit cars and grass track cars....problem is the systems cost about the same as a Lotus hydraulic rack!

Do you really feel the manual rack is that difficult to modulate? Only parking seems to be somewhat belabored. Even with 18" wheels and an 11.5" steering wheel my non powersteering it's no problem.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Do you really feel the manual rack is that difficult to modulate? Only parking seems to be somewhat belabored. Even with 18" wheels and an 11.5" steering wheel my non powersteering it's no problem.

Artie

Actually the SE steering geometry is different than the NON-SE 89, I believe the 89 is supposed to be more difficult (increased castor) compared to the SE, though the SE has wider wheels and tires 215 vs 195...

Then there is my SE with the V8 sized 235/40-17's... No wonder my rack needed a rebuild soon after I put the V8 wheels on.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Actually the SE steering geometry is different than the NON-SE 89, I believe the 89 is supposed to be more difficult (increased castor) compared to the SE, though the SE has wider wheels and tires 215 vs 195...

Then there is my SE with the V8 sized 235/40-17's... No wonder my rack needed a rebuild soon after I put the V8 wheels on.

I have over 3.2 degrees of castor on my SE with V8 wheels. It is certainly heavy, but it tracks beautifully even on roads where it used to dart all over the place. If I ever had to parallel park I'd be unhappy, but...

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages