Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2bular exhaust - Fitted! - Page 4 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2bular exhaust - Fitted!

Thanks for the responses. Maybe i wasnt clear.

my question really is.... is the standard exhaust with valve open more restrictive than the 2bular valved system with it shut?

if it is (more restrictive) then keeping the valve shut for trackdays (on 2bular) would have no adverse effects on engine.

anyone got a piccy of inside the 2bular one?

The whole noise restrictions at trackdays really grinds my gears!! if you dont want noise. dont buy a house next to a track.. unless they built the track after the houses were there I dont know how people can argue against the noise... grrrr... anyway rant over..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As someone  likely to do a couple of track days a year, I'm in a similar position.

Anyone got Jim's non-valved "Track" version fitted?

I'm an NA owner, so no "valve option on mine, even as standard.

I will however have one of Jim's "Track" boxes soon, with trackdays already booked at Snetterton, Spa Franchorchamps and Brands Hatch.

I am almost the opposite of the "valved system customer"...

On the road, I would want it LOUD but on track it must be QUIET.

So, as I understand it (sorry Jim if I misphrase this)...

The valve should be open at max power to as not to create a high pressure which would cause overheating and valve failure.

So on track, I need max power and so least resistance in airflow through silencer BUT with maximum silencing effect.

Hence the "track system" that Jim is working on.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I'm an NA owner, so no "valve option on mine, even as standard.

I will however have one of Jim's "Track" boxes soon, with trackdays already booked at Snetterton, Spa Franchorchamps and Brands Hatch.

I am almost the opposite of the "valved system customer"...

On the road, I would want it LOUD but on track it must be QUIET.

So, as I understand it (sorry Jim if I misphrase this)...

The valve should be open at max power to as not to create a high pressure which would cause overheating and valve failure.

So on track, I need max power and so least resistance in airflow through silencer BUT with maximum silencing effect.

Hence the "track system" that Jim is working on.

I think your basically saying what everyone else is... i.e. you want it loud for road (valve open) but quiet for track (valve shut) but the complication / problem is with valve shut you get more back pressure which is bad for engine.

i think the golden egg that jim could produce would be the valved system with the track silencer and not take the valve open route through silencer. then for trackdays people could just disconnect the valve so it doesnt get opened via ecu at 4500 revs.

from what i have seen of Saj system that is basically setup im describing. maybe it just need a wider silencer to get noise down.

Come payday il be ringing jim up to order something. just dont know exactly what yet...

Yesssss - closed valve at max power on a supercharged V6 - recipe for disaster tbh.

Valved systems are heavy - and it would require a different layout/different valve for the LOUD road/quiet track version.

The 2bular 70mm "Track" system is non-valved and comparatively lightweight. There's no silencer packing to worry about.

Feedback from the test mule is good for European tracks  - need more work for quieter UK tracks methinks.

Need to get out of the office now and make some exhausts!

Aah, the Holy Grail of silencers.

Well, Jim does read these threads...................

PS Lightweight would be good, too.

i think the current valved system is virtually the holy grail it would just be great to be able to quantify back pressure with valve shut against a standard exhaust with it open. 

this is surely the answer (spec that silencer as track friendly) and away you go. exige owners will have more room too as that cat aint there.

0l14.jpg

Wow - with all these options I'm now confused as hell!

No doubt Jim will make it simple for me when he posts up the new options on the web site :)  Look forward to seeing, and hearing them.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I have the 2bular Track system installed in my car since May this year. Jim's calling it the test mule However I can tell you that Jim has done a fantastic job with this system. Very high quality with a perfect finish. It's obviously quite light as well. It just sounds great like a race car and does make all the nice noises you would expect from a system like this. But more importantly it's a must have item if you wanna go for a lot more power. In my opinion on the road it's a bit too loud. But it's okay on Tracks like Hockenheim, Spa, Imola, Mugello (italians don't bother about noise - they call it music!), Nordschleife and Dijon. Hope they will also let me on the track of the RedBull Ring in a couple of weeks.
Check this link and enjoy the sound....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG4cU749l0

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1

That track system sounds nice but it doesn't sound that loud. I basically want a "track" system but with a silencer bypass for the road. Then on track days just disconnect valve. I only really do 105db days too so the track system I'm sure would be fine for them?

Also... For out and out power surely a system which has no silencing/restriction is best I.e. Jim's "road" system?

211 SC. can you make any further comments about you track system please? what does it sound like over standard? what decibels are you recording on trackdays please? i have watched your video a few times now and the more i listen the more i like the sound of it. do you have any others please?

also, does anyone have the add on silencers on the road system? what db do they give? any videos please?

cheers

• 4 years later...

Guys is this car fitted with the full system manifolds back or just the Backbox/exhaust ? 

On 13/09/2015 at 14:16, ChrisBuer said:

Here's a quick video of the Larini system and the 2bular

The Larini has a higher pitch but the 2bular crackles and pops more. We both agreed the 2bular sounded better, especially in the car. There is a lot more burbles pops and crackles with the 2bular. The Larini sounds good but is MUCH quieter inside the car and you have to rev it more to hear it.

I’m debating a getting a 2bular full system or just the back box for my lf1

the cost is considerably higher to do both is it worth it ?

what bhp increase is there over the standard system 

I couldn’t decide either but ultimately I went for a 2bular track system as I do the odd track day and I have been very happy with it. 

I think the ecu does learn a bit with the full manifold / back box system and gives you some gains but you really need a remap to make most of it. 

Back box may give you a handful of bhp but I bought it for the sound which is fantastic whichever system you go for. 

I guess it depends what you want and how much your prepared to pay. If your going to track it then go for track system 

@RedViper how does your 2bular track system compare to OEM exhaust please? Is it louder or just different?

The exhaust chapter on these cars is a real headache. I would certainly like to invest on noise but I do take my car on track. OEM exhaust is just about right for track and truth is that I wouldn't like to part with my hard earned and go with the track option exhaust if the sound difference is not substantial - might as well stay OEM. Unless of course track 2bular is a real winner apart from the fact that it's lighter.

380 option is an absolute no no given the db levels and to the fact that Lotus appeared to have cocked up the design - according to Jim's exhaust talk report that is.

Anyone knows whether the lighter 70mm option can be paired with add on silencers to drop the db? And would that be a safe thing to do when on track? Not sure whether @2bular Exhausts are active on this forum..

Sound is much better than oem. It’s hard to describe but without question it sounds a lot better. Im certain you wouldn’t regret installing a 2bular track system. 

I have the add ons also. Without add ons it’s about 107db for static and with its around 99 dB. I’ve had mine 4 years so can’t remember exact figures but no problems at donnington with add ons and silverstone don’t need add ons  for the drive by. I’ve only done the LOT days there and they didn’t do static on days I attended. the whole point of the add ons is for track use so yes they safe. Mine are original design attaches with springs but that’s ditched now in favour of clamps. I’ve never had any issues 👍

just ring Jim at 2bular up if you want some advice. Doesn’t seem very active on here recently. 

Edited by RedViper
  • Like 1

Yiannis,

I had the track version of Jim's exhaust on my car in 2018. Was louder than standard, but simply not loud enough for what I wanted, hence the change to the 380/410 exhaust. I think the car would have made it on a loud day, but to be honest, if you want noise, then Jim's road exhaust is far better sounding, but you won't get on at most tracks. Alastair has Jim's road exhaust, so you know what that sounds like.

If you want to do track days, then perhaps best to stick with the current standard exhaust. Other option is to fit a 380 exhaust, with link pipe from Jim, and then add some removable baffles. there's a guy on here who lives local to me who has done this on his 410. Maidstone Sports Cars helped him sort out the baffles, which are easily removed, so now he can do Goodwood, take the baffles off, and enjoy the unadulterated noise of the V6 on the way home:)

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1

Any pics of the baffles please? I’d be very interested to see how they work and if they are likely to induce back pressure / heat / end of world type scenarios to the engine. 

Edited by Bravo73

I was playing with the exhaust valve button in the lf1 today, when you press it to open the actuator You can see through the rear grill doesn’t move and the exhaust has no change is this not a direct over ride button opening the valve all the time or does it just allow the flap to open when the throttles down? I thought the valve opened and shut in sport and race mode so does this button only change your exhaust in tour mode if so kind of pointless, or  do I have a fault 

I’ve ordered a 2bular exhaust for my lf1 as the standard one is boring so should get that soon and get it fitted which should hopefully make me happy