Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Update on Exige Life - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Update on Exige Life

CTRMint

On 9 September 2015 6:28:34 pm, Bravo73 said:

Even better, the forum sponsors (AIB insurance) offer trackday cover in their policies and discounts for members:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/62312-aib-lotus-insurance-up-to-20-discount-available/

According to posts on a recent V6 Cup insurance thread, they no longer provide track cover.

Sorry another question,

I'm ordering up a replacement set of rears for the car after the track days.  As I'm not sure how much tread will be left after the dates, plus I feel I did some miles in my car with the pressures too low on the rear, which didn't do the tyre life,  plus the manx roads don't help.  I also would prefer to change the tyres on the mainland rather than some of the local tyre shops on the island.

I'm looking at putting the Trofeos back on as the fronts are like new.

I've got a couple of questions to clarify;

1. Is the Trofeo on the Exige V6 [Cup] Lotus specific?  I believe the Elise did get Lotus specific tyres?
  2. Is the Trofeo still available, I've seen discussions stating Pirelli have replaced the tyre?
  3. Am I safe putting the the Pirelli Trofeo replacement tyre on the rear with my original front Trofeo tyres?

I know this is more a tyre thread question, but thought I'd tag it on here.

Thanks

1. No, I don't believe they're specific

2. The original Trofeo is no longer available, it has been superseded by the Trofeo R

3. Can't comment myself, I had a similar dilemma mixing AD08s and AD08R on my S2 (which was fine), but I don't believe the difference was as much as with the Trofeo to Trofeo R

As an aside, there's an article in Evo this month saying Pirelli are making the Trofeo R available at all authorised Pirelli Pro dealers very soon, so they should be easier to get hold of.

You can still get the original Trofeos if you want. Bell&Colvill quoted me something around £1200 for a set of four. Two rears were £780 or so last year.

I went for a set of four Avon ZZRs at £830, which is a really good price but you have to attend a Lotus Cup round to get them for that (plus you have to present the wheels to the Avon guys loose, they won't take the wheels off the car for you).

I wouldn't put TrofeoR's on the back with original Trofeos on the front if it were my car but your rears should be good for plenty more than 2 trackdays, especially if you are taking it fairly easy. I used to get at least 4 or 5 dry track days out of a set of rears and my fronts lasted for many more than that. The rear Trofeos that just came off my car drove to the Ring and Spa and back plus three days at Goodwood.

• Like 1

On 5 September 2015 4:43:02 am, CTRMint said:

Track day insurance, any Lotus specific recommendations?

Sorry another question, I know from my rally co-driving days, MSA scrutineers hate in car cameras mounted with suction cups.   Is that the same for UK track days?  Or will a GoPro suction cup mount be acceptable?

Last time I was at Oulton (June) I was asked to tether my GoPro which was suction-cup mounted in the windscreen (GT-R, not Exige) - it's no biggy - take a boot lace or something. They didn't check my handy work, but ultimately there's no point in taking short cuts as it's for your own safety that these precautions are put in place, and it takes no time to implement.

On 10 September 2015 6:56:17 pm, The Pits said:

You can still get the original Trofeos if you want. Bell&Colvill quoted me something around £1200 for a set of four. Two rears were £780 or so last year.

I went for a set of four Avon ZZRs at £830, which is a really good price but you have to attend a Lotus Cup round to get them for that (plus you have to present the wheels to the Avon guys loose, they won't take the wheels off the car for you).

I wouldn't put TrofeoR's on the back with original Trofeos on the front if it were my car but your rears should be good for plenty more than 2 trackdays, especially if you are taking it fairly easy. I used to get at least 4 or 5 dry track days out of a set of rears and my fronts lasted for many more than that. The rear Trofeos that just came off my car drove to the Ring and Spa and back plus three days at Goodwood.

You don't have to attend a Lotus Cup round, some Lotus people can get you them, you just need to go to the right place... Hangar111 can do them!

I would highly recommend the ZZR tyre, as it is brilliant on track, and seems to be better on mileage too we found. Also doesn't harm the wallet as much!

Sorry last shout out for help.

Forgot to bring the details for the fire extinguisher system in the car, standard fitting to the V6 Cup.

Any chance someone has an PDF of the manual or could possibly provide details on testing and priming the system.

Thanks

Is it the lifeline box that is in the cubby hole behind the handbrake? If so, fairly simple to operate, would currently be in 'test mode' if it's in the centre with no lights on meaning that if you press the internal or external extinguisher button, a test light will come on somewhere on the face of the box. From memory, if you push the switch towards the driver, it will do a battery check and an orange light will show. The switch will spring back to the centre when checking the battery. If you go the other way, you will arm the extinguisher, and a red light will show on the box. This means your extinguisher is now ready if you need to use it.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Im doing the Oulton day so will pop over and say a hello - I'm in a white Honda integra for the day (not much help as there's 2 others coming with me!).

If there's anything you want any help with on the day just let us know!

Pat

• Like 1

Is it the lifeline box that is in the cubby hole behind the handbrake? If so, fairly simple to operate, would currently be in 'test mode' if it's in the centre with no lights on meaning that if you press the internal or external extinguisher button, a test light will come on somewhere on the face of the box. From memory, if you push the switch towards the driver, it will do a battery check and an orange light will show. The switch will spring back to the centre when checking the battery. If you go the other way, you will arm the extinguisher, and a red light will show on the box. This means your extinguisher is now ready if you need to use it.

Hope this helps

Thanks, yep it'd the LifeLine box.

I'll work with that thanks.

Hi Mark,

Im doing the Oulton day so will pop over and say a hello - I'm in a white Honda integra for the day (not much help as there's 2 others coming with me!).

If there's anything you want any help with on the day just let us know!

Pat

Thanks Pat,

Just look out for the bright green Exige with foreign plates, most likely been driven rather gingerly :-)

A few laps of Oulton Park later....

I trust the love has been rekindled?

Love the picture Top Cat took. Car just looks fantastic and right at home on the circuit.

We are all ears...!

I'll post a detailed breakdown of my first UK track experience when I get back to the IoM.

In the meantime, I would say the car was fantastic on track.  It was sufficiently forgiving in the wet during morning and I'm sure it's design helped immensely when I did get it crossed up under hard braking in the wet at the bottom of Hill Top into Hislops.

The car was then epic in the afternoon as the weather settled down and the track dried.  Once the tyres got good and sticky the pace was amazing.   Of course it was great meeting guys from the forum too.

Roll on Saturday for the run around Hethel.

I'll reserve discussion on whether its rekindled a passion for the car until I get back home and the trip is complete.

Of course it goes without saying spending the day flying around at Oulton Park in the car was amazing.

Totally understand that, it's only trackday one. But very glad to hear you've enjoyed Oulton. Whatever happens you'll be in a position to properly evaluate the car once you're back home. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

:thumbup:

I

On 21 September 2015 9:09:38 pm, Bravo73 said:

Did you enjoy Hethel? How did your training session with Danny go?

To be honest I didn't find Hethel that great as a track, but I am directly comparing it to Oulton here.  I found it too much about power on long straights into heavy braking zones and slow corners.  It just seemed to lack something and I never found a corner that rewarding.   I know its a test track rather than circuit so its probably unfair to make the comparison.  I did however really enjoy meeting other fellow Lotus owners.  I'll be definitely looking to attend some other LoT dates.  

I think what surprised me about the my visit to Hethel was driving the car back to Lancs afterwards.  After an overnight stay at Park Farm which I highly recommend we set off early in great weather and experienced no traffic issues.  The journey down to Hethel on Friday was ruined by usual Friday traffic issues so I can’t make a similar statement.  

I found the 4 hour drive back really comfortable (the Cup seats really are amazing) and totally satisfying, completely contrary to the views I’ve previously expressed.  I didn’t drive overly quickly but I did ‘enjoy’ the drive back :-)   I also personally prefer to wind the windows down for fresh air and wind noise rather than engine noise over such distances, even with this, I never once felt any negativity towards the journey.

The upshot is I tend feel some of my frustration with the car is related to the environment or roads in which it lives, i.e. it’s constraint here on the Isle of Man.  For completeness those who originally told me to get it tracked were correct, the trip across was frankly amazing and I’m so glad I did it, and that I own the car.  But I still feel some frustration on Manx roads.  My aim now is to keep it, but to track it as much as I can afford.

As a novice at trackdays and in a Lotus I’m happy to write more about the Exige Cup and my trip to Oulton Park which dropped me in at the deep end with heavy rain and what was a testing session for Caterham Academy cars.  Even with these conditions the day was a success, something I feel is a testament to the car rather than me as a driver.
  • Like 2

It was great to meet you Mark, I'm very glad that you enjoyed the Hethel day.  Certainly the circuit is not the longest or most interesting, but for me, special as not many actually get to drive there and it really helps work on the driving skills.... Since going last year I've done a few trackdays, mostly with LOT (still not in a Lotus but a caterham nearly counts) and have really enjoyed them all. Great camaraderie, good to see what others are driving and have a few passenger laps. Trouble is, I now want a v6 cup! I'd even have a green one ?